Black Sheep Squadron TV Series

Lightning Ace

Lightning Ace

Several years ago I watched an episode of the Baa Baa Black Sheep Squadron TV show with Robert Conrad who starred as Pappy Boyington and the title of the episode was "Hot Shot" with Frank Converse who was playing the Army Air Forces top Ace and it had 2 P-38 Lightnings in the episode which I recorded on video tape. The video tape quality is only very good and I would love to find the episode in DVD if it's possible and even if I have to purchase a boxed set of the TV series to be able to have the episode.

Mike

As you're into P-38s, have you seen/got the "Battle Stations" dvd on the Lightning? It's a British tv production but US compatible versions might have been made for sale in the US market. Lots of great archive footage.

Sabrejet

There are a lot of DVD's produced in Europe that are a different format than we use here. However, when DVD shopping you can look for multi-format units that will play DVD's from other countries. Not that much difference in price and definitely the way to go! :D

Tom

Lightning Ace

Thanks for the replies guys and the information and I'll start looking now for the DVDs.

Mike

• 8 years later...

I loved the tv show too! I remember watching it with my Dad which made it more special!

...Kat

My dad and I watched it too ( was a bout 25 then). He didn't watch a lot of TV but as a retired Navy airplane fixer/Aircrew he loved that one.

As a kid already enthralled with WWII aviation by then, Baa Baa Black Sheep as a dream series come true.

We lived not far from Van Nuys Airport where the aircraft would gather, then depart for the old Indian Dunes Airport for filming.

I used to see a 5-ship formation of Corsairs pass over the house routinely.

RIP Robert Conrad, one of the Kings of Cool.

John

ps: maybe let’s not debate the accuracy of the series, it wasn’t meant to be historically accurate, just fun to watch.

olivedrab1970

It was one of my favorites growing up! We all enjoyed the shows beginning with the rhyme 'Ba Ba Black sheep" and the air raid siren..I need to get the DVD set and watch them all again!

Robin-

I picked up a whole season on dvd at walmart for like $5, so they're out there.

When I was little and first getting into wwii, this was on reruns at 10:00... too late to stay up... got a hard no from mom! I think I was in my 20s before I tracked it down again.

I used to love watching Black Sheep with my Dad. He was a WWII Pacific army infantryman with no love for the Marines. He'd sit and watch it every week grumbling and grousing about the Marine Corps and how cushy the flying services had it with comfy barracks, booze and nurses to come back to every day. But each week, he'd turn it back on.

Mike

I used to love watching Black Sheep with my Dad. He was a WWII Pacific army infantryman with no love for the Marines. He'd sit and watch it every week grumbling and grousing about the Marine Corps and how cushy the flying services had it with comfy barracks, booze and nurses to come back to every day. But each week, he'd turn it back on.

Mike

Mikie,

Too funny! It's great how many of us watched this with our Dads. I also used to watch Hogan's Heroes" and "Combat" with my Dad.

...Kat

It was my favourite show in the 70’s! I loved the Corsairs, and once when I was about 14 I got to meet Frank Tallman who did so much of the aerial photography in specially equipped B-25s as I recall. He died tragically in a plane crash about a month after I met him, it was a routine flight between airports as I remember. A terrible way for such a famous aviator to go.

I still love Corsairs and will watch Black Sheep Squadron whenever I see it on reruns. This is my small tribute to Bob Conrad in my collection.

post-9167-0-97596800-1581402358.jpeg

I always watched with my Grandparents. Grandpa was an Army Infantryman in the PTO early on and he loved the show! I own it on dvd for the memories and the entertainment. I agree about not debating the accuracy, it entertained and it got a lot of us into collecting, so it did its job. Thanks for the memories Robert Conrad, say hello to the real Pappy! Scott

BILL THE PATCH

I use to love the show, I remember watching it, my dad walked in the living room stood about three minutes watching. Started laughing and said. What a bunch of horse S@$T turned and walked away. I was so mad because I thought it was the best show on TV. Now that I look back I understand why he laughed. Actually he said that alot about war movies.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Yeah, but it's OUR horse s@$t! ?

I use to love the show, I remember watching it, my dad walked in the living room stood about three minutes watching. Started laughing and said. What a bunch of horse S@$T turned and walked away. I was so mad because I thought it was the best show on TV. Now that I look back I understand why he laughed. Actually he said that alot about war movies.

BILL THE PATCH

That's right, we had the best TV shows back in day. Compared to the crap on now. There was even a Vietnam series, played a rolling Stones song sympathy for the devil for opening credits. I thought it was a great show

That reminds me of a story my buddy told me about watching the series Rat Patrol when he was a kid and his Dad who was German and fought in the Afrika Korps would walk in the room, mutter a few swear words in German, and then announce in English but with a thick German accent that the show was ridiculous and the Americans and Brits couldn’t fight worth beans in the desert. Maybe he forgot about El Alamein ??

That's right, we had the best TV shows back in day. Compared to the crap on now. There was even a Vietnam series, played a rolling Stones song sympathy for the devil for opening credits. I thought it was a great show

That was "Tour of Duty" and the song was "Paint It Black". I enjoyed that series. I have it on DVD but the they wouldn't pay the royalties for "Paint It Black" to be on the DVDs so it does not have the song on them.

I worked with a guy who was a Green Beret in Nam. He liked the series and thought for a TV show it was reasonably accurate.

At least for the first season anyway. After they changed the filming location and the show's direction, they ruined it.

BILL THE PATCH

That's right paint it Black, my old neighborhood was mostly German Irish decent, my hung out in a bar that had lots of German guys in there. And when Hogan's heroes came on they got mad and said that's not the way it was. My dad and his friends would laugh.