D-Day Omaha Beach Grouping Company B 149th Engineer Combat Battalion

warpath

• 5 months later...

LINK to more photos: http://www.battlefieldmuseum.org/engine/inspect.asp?Item=31&Filter=World+War+II

D-Day Omaha Beach Grouping of 1st Sgt. Windel W. Byers Company B 149th Engineer Combat Battalion: 1st Sgt. Byers' M1 combat helmet with white arc painted on the front, his D-Day map of France, two pages from the 149th Engineer D-Day journal, his copy of General Eisenhower's D-Day letter given to the troops of Operation Overlord prior to the Normandy invasion and a few D-Day photographs taken shortly after the battle... Also shown are a Bible given him by his parents and his Ike jacket with Special Engineers pocket patch and Engineer Special Brigade shoulder sleeve insignia.

The 149th Engineer Combat Battalion served with the 7th Naval Beach Battalion and part of the 6th Engineer Special Brigade and was attached to the overall Provisional Engineer Special Brigade Group.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
stealthytyler

Very cool looking helmet. Is it named by any chance? All the examples I've seen in photos show the amphibious forces insignia below the white arc. Does anyone have a period photo showing just a short white arc? The arc only helmets ive seen are blue in color and go all the way down to the rim on the helmet. Thanks!

Go to the link on my web site. One of his photos shows one of the men in his unit wearing a Short Arc M1.

stealthytyler

Here is the photo on your site. I scaled it up and cropped it. You can see the amphibious forces insignia below the short arc. I am trying to find a period photo of these guys at Normandy with a short white arc only. Not saying it didn't happen, just curious if someone has a photo to share. Thanks!

post-131595-0-05798300-1530299334_thumb.jpg