• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 neilhg

neilhg
  • Members
    • Member ID: 20,584
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

got thease from my great uncle thease belonged to my great great uncle who was a Maj. in the lafayette escadrille in wwi his name was raymond "king" kelly
after the war he flew airshows and was crippled after he crashed he died in his 50's i belive not kids or wife. also not pictured is a american legion beret that reads american legion aviation post chicago illinos also somewhere we have his aviation helmet and goggles

Attached Images

• fl_004.jpg
  • fl_003.jpg
  • fl_002.jpg

#2 neilhg

neilhg
  • Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

fl_008.jpg fl_007.jpg fl_006.jpg _006.jpg]fl_005.jpg

#3 neilhg

neilhg
  • Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

his aviators leather neck

his heather suspenders and belt

fl_012.jpg fl_010.jpg fl_011.jpg _011.jpg]

#4 neilhg

neilhg
  • Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:15 PM

fl_016.jpg fl_013.jpg his swagger stick and info

its not for sale but does anyone have any idea on what this is worth?

#5 Jack's Son

Jack's Son

Deceased

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 8,213
  • 19,660 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

That's a nice family heirloom.
Have you started research on it yet?

#6 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,829 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

its not for sale but does anyone have any idea on what this is worth?

That trunk appears to be from his time with the "Aviation Service" as the US Army flight branch was known then.

To determine value you first need documentation to establish that he was in the Lafayette Escadrille. There is a roster of members who survived the war,: I did not see his name on it, but I have trouble scanning small print.

Posted Image

#7 neilhg

neilhg
  • Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

its been hard toresearch theres some celeberty with the same name

as for the list i dident see his name but i am certain he was in it is it possible they missed him?

#8 zepher11

zepher11
  • Members
    • Member ID: 24,058
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:02 PM

What a great grouping of family history artifacts you have there. I really love the look of the trunk! Thanks for sharing...

JD

Edited by zepher11, 18 July 2011 - 07:02 PM.

#9 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,829 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

as for the list i dident see his name but i am certain he was in it is it possible they missed him?

Could be they missed him, but family stories can also get diverted along the way so it would be worth doing the research to pin down his WWI service.

#10 neilhg

neilhg
  • Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:38 PM

Could be they missed him, but family stories can also get diverted along the way so it would be worth doing the research to pin down his WWI service.

alright thank you

thats funny how you said they can get diverted that side of the family was quite humble i had a great uncle in the oss in wwii who did two solo combat jums in sicily and italy and all he told us was he was a paratroper.

#11 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,829 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

alright thank you
thats funny how you said they can get diverted that side of the family was quite humble i had a great uncle in the oss in wwii who did two solo combat jums in sicily and italy and all he told us was he was a paratroper.

What happens is that people add innocent embellishments over the decades. For instance, someone may have been told that an ancestor flew in France in WWI. Well, they hear about the famous unit of Americans flying for the French and associate that with their ancestor. So even if this is never going to be sold, do his memory a favor and track down as much written info as you can about his service.

Now remember too, there was the Lafayette Escadrille Squadron and the larger Lafayette Flying Corps and they are often confused.

#12 neilhg

neilhg
  • Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

What happens is that people add innocent embellishments over the decades. For instance, someone may have been told that an ancestor flew in France in WWI. Well, they hear about the famous unit of Americans flying for the French and associate that with their ancestor. So even if this is never going to be sold, do his memory a favor and track down as much written info as you can about his service.

Now remember too, there was the Lafayette Escadrille Squadron and the larger Lafayette Flying Corps and they are often confused.

do you know where i can get info on the Lafayette Flying Corps?

#13 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,829 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:18 PM

do you know where i can get info on the Lafayette Flying Corps?

A google search should turn up quite a bit: this may have been one of the most researched units of WWI.

#14 neilhg

neilhg
  • Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:00 PM

thank you all for your comments

#15 Skysoldier80

Skysoldier80
  • Members
    • Member ID: 215,372
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:32 AM

Now that is an awesome WWI Family Grouping. 

I second doing the research to get everything down.  A year ago I started digging into a family story about my Grandfather's Uncle who was supposedly in the Waffen SS during WWII (Grandpa's Dad served in German Army in WWI and immigrated to the US in 1922).  After the research, I found that it was not the Uncle (who did serve in the 22d Luftlande Division), but it was my Great Grandmother's (Grandpa's mother) sister's son who was still in Germany who was the WSS guy.  I just happened to be given the Funeral Card and photos of him.

So I share stating the research is fun and will uncover some family mysteries.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users