U.S. WW1 AIRCRAFT BOMB

birdman

HELLO,IS THERE SOMEBODY OUT THERE WHO KNOWS THE ORIGINAL COLOR OF THIS U.S. WW1 BOMB? I HAVE SEEN THEM PAINTED RED,BLACK,GRAY AND OD GREEN WITH EITHER A RED OR BLACK NOSE FUZE. ALSO I'VE SEEN THEM WITH A SMOOTH FINISH AND A SAND FINISH LIKE A HELMET. THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP.

post-619-1193844128.jpg

I believe that they were OD. I saw an original example not too long ago. Let me get the auction catalog and I will get back to you. Probably a training bomb....

Chris

• 2 months later...
HELLO,IS THERE SOMEBODY OUT THERE WHO KNOWS THE ORIGINAL COLOR OF THIS U.S. WW1 BOMB? I HAVE SEEN THEM PAINTED RED,BLACK,GRAY AND OD GREEN WITH EITHER A RED OR BLACK NOSE FUZE. ALSO I'VE SEEN THEM WITH A SMOOTH FINISH AND A SAND FINISH LIKE A HELMET. THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP.

Hello, I have 2 of these, one has been repainted and the other has traces of od green paint. At the Museum of flight in Dallas they have one in the original od green paint with a yellow band at the center. When I get back there I will post a photo, because I want to restore one of mine to the right colors and wording also. These were used as live bombs as well as pratice bombs. Do you have the arming bolt and spring attached to the sheet metal between the fins? Or just a hole? If not, I will provide a pic of that also.

It may take a few weeks for me to get there. Cheers, Dave