Brig's USMC Photo Archive

Brig

Pre-1910 portrait taken in Boston, was listed as an Army photo, and has a name on it of a pre-1910 Marine...came in the original envelope, practically untouched

004.jpg

And special thanks goes out to a fellow forum member who thought of me when he stumbled across this one, early 20s Cpl with large chevrons and an expert badge, complete with non-regulation EGA device in the center of the cross rifles. No name, unfortunately, but a great portrait

005.jpg

Naw...had a couple of those in an envelope on the shelf since sometime last year, just finally getting around to scanning. You know where all my funds are going at the moment

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Nice ones Brig! I especially love the QM one as well... You know I am working on a set of department insignia so I love seeing early portraits of them in use! (Also, speaking of funds, I just made another payment on my balance I owe you.. going to try to get the last payment in on Thursday)

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Also, the Marine in post 226 reminds me of the actor who played Eugene Sledge in The Pacific!

Nice ones Brig! I especially love the QM one as well... You know I am working on a set of department insignia so I love seeing early portraits of them in use!

Thought you'd get a kick out of that one.

normaninvasion

Brig, What is the Quartermasters rack? I'm assuming one is a French sector ribbon? Also is that a WO bar?

Brig, What is the Quartermasters rack? I'm assuming one is a French sector ribbon? Also is that a WO bar?

Haven't gone through his rolls in depth yet, but his name was Harry E Darr and he entered the Marine Corps in 1898 , moved up the ranks to SgtMaj, and then became a 2nd LT in 1918 and served during WWI in Santo Domingo with the 3rd Provisional Regiment until the early 20s. Same time, early 20s, there's a private Harry Darr in Santo Domingo briefly who is then an officer, and was in until 1932. Not sure if it's the same man, a son, or what, but will be an interesting research project when I finish a couple of others I'm neck deep in

Skimming the rolls I see service at sea, Guam, Phillipines, Midway, Washington DC, and Dominican Republic.

Not sure on the ribbons, will have to get in depth. First maybe Spanish campaign? Last appears to be a GCM with no devices, guess he just didn't wear them.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Looks like a regular Lt bar to me... The WO bar first appeared in 1926 I believe and had a blue bar in the center, I think before that they used regular commissioned officer ranks.

normaninvasion

Brig, That will be fun research, now looks like SAW stuff.

Sgt. Thank you for that info, I had always wondered if Com. rank was worn early on as I have a pic of my Gr uncle wearing what looks like Lt rank but at time was WO?