• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wolfies30

wolfies30
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 49,745
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

Hello all! I want to start off by saying I am not an expert in militaria at all. :unsure: Here's my story:

I am helping a relative clean out a storage shed, and I came across what is a very interesting piece to me. It is a wooden box with two rope handles, and it was used for 105mm M68 shells. It held two shells. I tried to do some research on it, but I could not locate any info on it. So, I have decided to turn to you fine folks here! I've read through some of the topics here and I am very impressed by the knowledge out there. Now, my question(s) are this: Is this an item that has any value to collectors at all? Basically, I'd like to know if it is worth posting on ebay, or craigslist, etc. Or should I just take to a flea market to get a couple bucks out of it.

I want to make it clear, that I am not soliciting offers on this board, because, after reading through the boards, you need 50 posts or so before you can post an item for sale. I just don't know if this thing is worth 5 cents, $5, or $500. I would gladly post pics, if you would like to see them, AND if someone walks me through how to do it.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give! I think I will learn a lot reading these boards.

#2 OD MAN

OD MAN
  • Inactive
    • Member ID: 3,878
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

Open your pictures with Microsoft Paint. Click "Image" on the toolbar then click the resize/skew option to get your picture to an appropriate size to post. After the pictures are sized follow the steps on this link:

http://www.usmilitar...showtopic=73611

Justin

#3 wolfies30

wolfies30
  • New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

Thank you! Hope this works!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 gpw_42

gpw_42
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,938
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:08 PM

This is a crate for Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot - Tracer ammunition for the M60 MBT. May have also been used on the early M1 tanks, but they had an M68A1 cannon, not M68.

Are there any casings in the crate?

Steve

#5 wolfies30

wolfies30
  • New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

Thanks for the info. gpw! No casings inside. Just the crate. Thoughts on what I should do with this?

#6 gpw_42

gpw_42
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,938
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

Tough question: what to do with the crate now?

Couple options:
- sell it. not easy, except FTF, due to the size and weight, which will impact shipping costs. However, there might be a market for one? I dunno.
- use it as a tool box.
- use it to store some of your militaria (depending how clean the interior is). Likely the best long-term option, unless you set up at shows or flea markets.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users