2nd Infantry Division Photograph

Championhilz

post-274-1193533802.jpgHere's another image I picked up today at the antiques show in Jackson, Mississippi - an unidentified PFC in the 2nd Infantry Division.

• 2 weeks later...
... an unidentified PFC in the 2nd Infantry Division.

I'd date this scene to be 1930 +/- five years. 2nd Division was stationed at Ft. Sam Houston, Texas, in 1920's and -30's.

The insignia on this soldier's lower lapels appear to be the 20th Infantry DUI. 20th Infantry was also in Texas in during this period. Can you magnify your original photo and verify the DUI?

Might not be Fort Sam Houston. 20th Inf joined 2d Division in 1920 at Ft Sam but was transferred to Ft Francis E Warren Wyoming in June 1927. 20th Inf was part of 4th Infantry Brigade which was transferred so mobilization barracks of Camp Travis at Ft Sam could be demolished to clear the site for new permanent barracks under the Army Housing Program of 1926. the 2d Division's Engineer Regt was moved to Ft Logan for the same reason; and one FA regt was moved to Ft Bragg. The units were still part of the 2d Div, however.

Good call, john. Figuring out exactly where inter-war Army units were stationed from time-to-time is a challenge and it is no surprise that there is still more to this story. Here's another twist: The fort at Cheyenne, Wyoming, was Fort D. A. Russell until December, 1929, when it was renamed Fort Francis E. Warren:

post-1963-1194824610.jpg

So, the 20th Infantry relocated from Fort Sam Houston to Fort D.A. Russell in 1927 and, according to the following article, it is possible that 20th Infantry left Fort Russell (before it was renamed) for service on the U.S./Mexican border:

220207771-M.jpg

I've read somewhere that 20th infantry was on border duty during this era but I don't recall the details. Do you know? Was 20th Infantry ever again stationed at Fort Sam Houston after 1927? When was it finally relieved from its assignment to 2nd Division?

As for dating the picture, the background, wherever it is, doesn't help much: The scene could be either Fort Sam Houston or Fort D.A. Russell (or Fort Francis E. Warren). I've been to both posts many times and nothing in this picture stands out as a landmark I recognize. The only other obvious dating-clue I can see is the soldier's wrap leggings, which were phased out sometime before WWII. However, equipment is not my field.

Just for contrast, here is a picture of a soldier at Fort Francis E. Warren that I can date: He is standing on the porch of his barracks in 1938.

220199682-M.jpg

When the 2nd Division was involved in the Triangular Division tests in 1938-39, the 20th Inf did not participate. The 6th Regiment came in as the third divisional regiment. The 20th Inf was relieved from the 2nd Div in 1939 and assigned to the 6th Div. The 38th Infantry joined the 2nd Division in October 1939 as its third infantry regiment.

When the 2nd Division was involved in the Triangular Division tests in 1938-39, the 20th Inf did not participate. The 6th Regiment came in as the third divisional regiment. The 20th Inf was relieved from the 2nd Div in 1939 and assigned to the 6th Div. The 38th Infantry joined the 2nd Division in October 1939 as its third infantry regiment.

Thanks for this info, john.

Here is a further constraint on dating the picture of the 2nd Division soldier: The enlisted olive drab service coat with lapels (that he is wearing here) was authorized February 1, 1926 (Emerson: Encyclopedia of United States Army Insignia and Uniforms, 1996, p.506), which means that this picture was not taken before 1926. However, we cannot tell from this dating exactly when and where the picture was taken: It could have been at Fort Sam Houston (1926 - June 1927) or Fort D.A. Russell (June 1927 - December 1929) or Fort Francis E. Warren (January 1930 and beyond). The initial authorization date of this uniform simply is not conclusive. For instance, there was a long wear-out period for the outgoing standing-collar coat. Emerson has a picture dated 1930 (p.508) showing a group of four NCOs; two wearing the old style standing-collar and two wearing the new style lapel (and all wearing puttees!) Nothing unusual about long wear-out periods, of course, but this variability certainly adds to the ambiguity.