20th Infantry Division
No replies to this topic
Posted 02 November 2006 - 02:48 PM
Twentieth Infantry Division / 20th Division
"Skull and Bones"
Aug. 12, 1918
Feb 28, 1919
Organized at Camp Sevier, S.C., on Aug. 12, 1918.
The 48th and 50th Regular Army Infantry Regiments were assigned to this division and these regiments furnished the nucleus for the organization of the other two infantry regiments of the division. The artillery brigade of the division was organized at Camp Jackson, S.C., and never actually joined the division at Camp Sevier. The organization of the division was about completed at the end of October and all units were undergoing intensive training in preparation for overseas service. All organizations not belonging to the Regular Army were demobilized by Feb. 28, 1919.
Commanders of division: Col. Louis J. VanSchaick, Aug. 9 to Aug. 18, 1918; Col. Lawrence B. Simonds, Aug. 18 to Aug. 27, 1918; Col. Wm. F. Grote, Aug. 27 to Sept. 30, 1918; Brig. Gen. F. Leroy Sweetser, Sept. 30th until demobilization.
This division was composed of the following organizations: 20th Hqs. Troop; 39th, 40th Inf. Bn.; 48th, 89th, 50th, 90th Inf.; 58th, 59th 60th Machine Gun Bns.; 20th Fld. Arty. Brig. (58th, 59th, 60th Fld. Arty., 20th Trench Mortar Battery); 220th Engr. Regt. And Train; 20th Amm. Train; 20th Sanitary Train (Field Hospitals and Amb. Cos. Nos. 277, 278, 279, and 280).
Divisional history from:
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users