USS Indianapolis KIA PH

jmar

Hello everyone!

I thought I'd share one of the highlights of my PH collection. A USN KIA Purple Heart from the USS Indianapolis. I don't feel the need to go into the history of the Indy since there have been many articles, books and movies about it. I remember the shiver that went up my spine while sitting in the movie theater in the summer of 1975 when the fictional character Quint spoke about his experience in Jaws. if you'll all pardon the pun :naughty: , I was hooked. I then read about the Indy, and the ultimate fate of her Captain, it was evident that the tragedy of the USS Indianapolis didn't end with her sinking and the loss of so many lives.

So needless to say, I'm honored to be able to care for a piece of this historic, and tragic episode of WW II. Awarded to Ensign Harold C Moynelo, who lost at sea after the sinking on 30 July 1945. It appears he was also awarded the Navy & Marine Corps Medal. The engraving matches the hand that I've seen on other Indy Hearts, as does the Army style split brooch, which fits in with the time period that the Navy obtained a large quantity of this style of Purple Heart from the Army supply.

Check out the USS Indianapolis Museum http://www.ussindianapolis.us It's a nice site and offers some good information.

Thanks for reading my post!

Joe

post-48324-1310161509.jpg

KASTAUFFER

your PH is actually a USN Navy contract medal and not one borrowed from the Army. You can tell by the " barrel lug" and the gilded silver suspension ring. The ring is Sterling. Its basically the exact same planchet as on the Type II wrap brooch USN Purple Hearts.

The ribbon color and weave is tell tale too.

A challenge is to find a true USN Type III medal like yours un-named. Almost the entire contract went to be used for posthumous awards.

This also means fakers cant find TYPE III USN medals and name them :)

Nice medal!

Kurt

your PH is actually a USN Navy contract medal and not one borrowed from the Army. You can tell by the " barrel lug" and the gilded silver suspension ring. The ring is Sterling. Its basically the exact same planchet as on the Type II wrap brooch USN Purple Hearts.

The ribbon color and weave is tell tale too.

A challenge is to find a true USN Type III medal like yours un-named. Almost the entire contract went to be used for posthumous awards.

Nice medal!

Kurt

Kurt, I learn something new everyday, especially since I joined the forum! Thank you for that info! :)

Joe

I am once again Impressed with this Heart. Indi Hearts are something special!!

Thanks once again for the kind words! Being a new poster it's encouraging to hear such positive feedback!

BigJohn#3RD

Joe,

Thank you for sharing this Purple Heart and the story of the man who earned it. You have put together a great tribute to this sailor who gave all for our great nation.

:salute:

John

Garandomatic

My town lost two men on the Indy, and had one survive. Odd for a burg as little as mine. One of those lost was my grandpa's best friend. I met the survivor, but couldn't speak. I saw his survivor hat and my jaw dropped. He passed away in the last couple of years. I'd give my teeth for my grandpa's friend's heart. If it ever comes up for sale, boy oh boy.

Thank you all for your supportive comments. :)

Scott, I'm still in shock that I was fortunate to be able to acquire this medal...I'm still drooling myself!

John, I keep saying this, but it's so great hearing that so many others in this forum understand and share the reverence for what we collect, thank you!

Garand, your note about 2 people from your town lost on the Indy brings home just how far reaching this tragedy was. The fact that your grandfather was directly touched is quite moving, a direct link to the past. I think I would have been like you, speechless in the presence of a survivor.

Dave, my pleasure, thank you for stopping by and reading!

Best wishes to all!

Joe

Nice Heart Joe.Thanks for letting us Look.Robert

Robert,

Thank you, I know you've seen and owned a LOT of Hearts, so I really appreciate your feedback.

Joe

A fantastic piece of history! Congratulations!!

And thank you for sharing this. :thumbsup:

Jim,

Thank you for your comments, I'm honored to hear from a senior member of this forum. I'm very glad I joined! :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very historic posthumous Purple Heart to very tragic action !!

USS Indiannapolis posthumous Purple Hearts do pop up now and then which only serves to illustrate the great amount of loss she suffered when she went down. I have two posthumous Purple Hearts to gallant sailors who served aboard her on that fateful mission.

I remember watching Jaws in the theatre too and being utterly captivated by Quint's story....I had to learn more about it as well !!

Thanks for showing !!

Vic

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very historic posthumous Purple Heart to very tragic action !!

USS Indiannapolis posthumous Purple Hearts do pop up now and then which only serves to illustrate the great amount of loss she suffered when she went down. I have two posthumous Purple Hearts to gallant sailors who served aboard her on that fateful mission.

I remember watching Jaws in the theatre too and being utterly captivated by Quint's story....I had to learn more about it as well !!

Thanks for showing !!

Vic

Hi Vic,

Thanks for your comments. it's great to hear you that have 2 examples from this historical moment. I'm sure, that like me, you're proud to be their caretaker. In my opinion, the highlight of Jaws was when Quint told his story, it was spellbinding, Robert Shaw was perfectly cast for that part!

Best wishes!

Joe

• 3 years later...
Dianna_Moynelo

Just a little tidbit of information which has most likely been lost over the years. Harold C. Moynelo was spoken about in great regards by those who survived and had a chance to speak with his sister. They told her about how he gave up his spots on life rafts and any life vests he had because he knew how to tread water and was a good swimmer. He didn't know how far out in the ocean they were, but when someone said there was an island near by he felt that he should try and make a go for it in hopes of finding help. They also said that he was doing everything he could to keep the other men focussed on reality as long as possible.

I have only heard stories about him from my grandmother as this tragic mission was before my mom was born, and the last members of the family to have known him passed back in the late 90's.