Home made K rations

376th PFAB

376th PFAB

Just wanted to share my home made (morale box) K rations with every one. what do you think?

post-48053-1309907894.jpg

They look great! What kind of printer did you use? Most of these that I have seen look too pixelated. I always thought of trying to get this stuff printed on a Riso machine. Did you create the labels or did you find files on-line? I would love to see a how to article if your up to it. You can even submit it to the ww2 reenactors magazine out of England.

376th PFAB
They look great! What kind of printer did you use? Most of these that I have seen look too pixelated. I always thought of trying to get this stuff printed on a Riso machine. Did you create the labels or did you find files on-line? I would love to see a how to article if your up to it. You can even submit it to the ww2 reenactors magazine out of England.

Thank you. I used an older printer, its a Cannon IP1600. I did not make the files, i found them online from over the years. All the boxes are made out of 12 pack cola boxes. Just cut them up to the size of regular paper to fit in the printer. Its really not that much to write about, all the files are PDFs so i just had to print, cut, score, fold, and glue. The Chesterfields, and the caramel, and the gum wrapper are just card stock from the local hobby store. The drink mix, coffee, and the p38 wrapper are just regular paper.

376th PFAB

Also here are some of the medical stuff i have made for my medic impression.

post-48053-1309922165.jpg

ww2reproductions

Fantastic effort.

For even better results use a laser printer if you spray artists gloss coat over the finished work it will really look fantastic. Dont worry the gloss soakes into the card stock but coats the print and makes it stand out.

There is a good supply of card stock from you cornflakes boxes or buy 210gsm card stock.

You can buy a 100 meter roll of the card stock used for pattern making as well, this is the cheapest log term home made way.

Some items need to be done in natural card stock (called straw card) and some on good quality white card.

If you want to create your own artwork and dont have Adobe Illustrator try using microsoft publisher. I use both, but started with publisher.

If anyone want to give it a go just PM me for help and I can guide you through a few tricks for fantastic results.

Did you put a sheet of carbon paper in between each of the medic book tags?

post-5828-1309936437.jpg

ww2reproductions

Just a few for our weekend with wiggles (Bengal) making sure of quality control

post-5828-1309936520.jpg

ww2reproductions

Wiggles

Yes this breed of cat was created in America 30 years ago by combining an asian leopard cat and a black domestic house cat!

post-5828-1309936644.jpg

376th PFAB
More mass production

Wow that is some mass production. Looks great. Thanks for showing your work. Maybe i can make that quality of stuff someday.

I use that printer because its was the only thing i had that would feed the heavy chipboard/card stock. I do spray a glossy clear coat on everything. It does help a lot with the look of the boxes.

Wow that is some mass production. Looks great. Thanks for showing your work. Maybe i can make that quality of stuff someday.

I use that printer because its was the only thing i had that would feed the heavy chipboard/card stock. I do spray a glossy clear coat on everything. It does help a lot with the look of the boxes.

Great looking pieces! What kind of canned food product did you use?

376th PFAB
Great looking pieces! What kind of canned food product did you use?

Its a can of chicken chunks from wal mart( thats all that i found that was that size) then i use the type of can opener that just cuts the top of so you can reseal it. I then fill it with Bennie Weenies for Meat and Bean menu item. Then just glue and seal the lid on and paint OD. I do the same for my C ration and C ration B units.

Its a can of chicken chunks from wal mart( thats all that i found that was that size) then i use the type of can opener that just cuts the top of so you can reseal it. I then fill it with Bennie Weenies for Meat and Bean menu item. Then just glue and seal the lid on and paint OD. I do the same for my C ration and C ration B units.
Could you show some of your C-ration cans? That would be great. I've been working on some C-ration and K- Ration crates and will post as I finish them.

376th PFAB
Could you show some of your C-ration cans? That would be great. I've been working on some C-ration and K- Ration crates and will post as I finish them.

Yeah he are some quick shots of my C rations. (my own labels thanks to my wife). Also my C ration crate and homemade D ration and box. Hope to see your crates when you finish.

Sorry this is the only one its letting me upload right now. I will try the others later.

post-48053-1310187663.jpg

376th PFAB

I fill my C ration B unit up with pita crackers, orange, grape, or lemon drink mix. Then Coffee, a couple hard candy's and a wooden spoon. And the D ration is melted almond bark and oat flour poured into a mini loaf bread pan.

sorry still not able to upload pictures.

DSCN0754.jpgDSCN0756.jpgDSCN0758.jpgDSCN0760.jpgDSCN0761.jpg

Nice looking stuff! FYI, that Hormel plant is still operating in Austin MN, they have one of their silos painted as a giant can of chili!

Nice looking stuff! FYI, that Hormel plant is still operating in Austin MN, they have one of their silos painted as a giant can of chili!

That's really cool. didn't know that.

Shawn Sturgill
pic2

Looks good! My only suggestion would be instead of having 8 "club" crackers, have 4 of that type, and 4 graham crackers. Other than that, looks great!