Faithful Service - The Naval Reserve Medal

jmar

Greeting all and a very Happy 4th of July holiday to everyone!

After enjoying Jack's Son posting on the USMC Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medal (Fleet Marine) I got to thinking about some of my favorite medal designs. One such design I've always admired is the Naval Reserve Medal with it's prominent U.S. Eagle on the obverse. I thought I'd take a minute and share a few pics from my collection as well as some info on this beautiful, and now obsolete, medal.

Here's a bit of historical background for new collectors. Established by SECNAV on 12 Sept 1938 as an award for any member of the Naval Reserve who completed 10 years of honorable service, which could be continuous or broken prior to 12 Sept 1958. Unlike the Armed Forces Reserve Medal it was not confined to a 12 year period and after 12 Sept 1958 is credited towards an Armed Forces Reserve Medal, but must meet the criteria of that award.

Please refer to the front and back view "group photo" for the below descriptions (reverse view will follow in a separate post).

post-48324-1309726232.jpg

Originally struck by the U.S. Mint and issued in a small red box (2-3/16" W x 3-3/16 H x 1-1/8" D) that has a red interior with a penciled number on the lid. The U.S. Mint strike appears to have been issued in two variations, both are on the full wrap USN style brooch with ring planchet suspensions. Type 1 has a thinner planchet in depth, but slightly wider across. I'll give all measurements I have at the end of my post. The ring opens at approximately 5 o'clock on the 1st issue Type 1 and varies on the 1st Issue Type 2 from 3 o'clock to almost 6 o'clock. Both have nice stiff ribbon drapes.

Next is the Bent Slot Brooch, common to the Metal Arts Type 1B Purple Heart* manufactured in 1939-1940.It is also ring suspended, with the ring opening at 3 o'clock. The ribbon drape on this example has a deeper red than the 1st issue types, also the blue edging is wider.

Following the Bent Slot are 2 examples with Sewn Slot Brooches. The suspension has now changed to a lug instead of a ring and the ribbon drapes vary in hue. I can't positively ID the era, but the sewn slot brooch is typical of WW II well through the 1950's.

We've made it to the second row! first (from the left) is a Crimped Slot Brooch example, these mark the transition from the sewn slot brooch to the crimp brooch seen on all new U. S. medals today. No doubt this style of brooch was meant to use up the old stock of sewn slot brooches without the extra hand-work (cost) of sewing them on by hand. A common example of this practice is evident on the earlier Army Commendation medals. Again, without an issue box or envelope these are hard to date, but certainly would come after the sewn slot and before the crimp brooch.

And finally three examples of Crimp Brooch issue. The 1st being maker marked with the Williams & Anderson hallmark, the next no mark and the last, with the noticeably different suspension drape color, marked CN-GI. (A side note: been trying to track down who CN-GI is, any help would be appreciated! I think they were a subsidiary of Lordship where they reworked stock, I have CN-GI overstrikes on LI-GI marked brooches). Pardon my digression, I know there are other examples out there by more manufacturers and I WELCOME any info, pics would be great too! These were all issued in the 1970's onward to those who had earned the medal, even though obsolete.

Now we are done with the "group photo".

Also featured is a very nice early mini made by BB&B. A boxed example by E. & H. Simon Inc., which is quite a nice strike. And a crimp brooch example with it's issue envelope. This example is not maker marked, but still a fine strike. (BTW, I didn't tear the envelope, that's how it came to me!)

I'm also including this beautiful medal featured in a few mounted group photos. These are:

A group of 4 to Lt Jg Charles Joseph Delany: Naval Reserve 1st Issue, Type 2, American Campaign, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign, WW II Victory and USN Occupation with Asia bar. This group is clutch back with a navy blue cloth back.

An (unfortunately) unknown naval aviator group of 5: Distinguished Service Cross, Air Medal, Navy Commendation, Naval Reserve Medal (lug suspension) and WW II Victory Medal. This group is pin-back with open catch.

Now as promised some measurements. PLEASE NOTE: These measurements can vary slightly, also for all planchet thickness dimensions I measured at approximately 6 o'clock under the fluke in an attempt to gauge true thickness without the variation that raised designs cause. Please refer to the group photo to correlate these measurements. All measurement are in inches using a digital set of calipers. Planchet width comes first, depth comes second.

1st Issue - Type 1: 1.292 .079

1st Issue - Type 2: 1.282 .127

Bent Slot: 1.295 .099

Sewn Slot 1: 1.330 .123

Sewn Slot 2: 1.325 .137

Crimped Slot: 1.327 .140

Crimp Williams & Anderson: 1.335 .130

Crimp unknown: 1.325 .125

Crimp CN-GI: 1.327 .137

Thank you to those who took the time to read this post, and thank you in advance to those who reply to it! I have ultra-high resolution of all of these photos, anyone wishing to see them just let me know and I'll post some links for you. Feel free to add or correct any information, this is what it's all about, sharing!

Best to all,

Joe

SOURCES and thanks:

*The Purple Heart - A History of America's Oldest Military Decoration; Frederic L. Borch III & F. C. Brown

The Call of Duty - Military Awards of the United States of America - Expanded Edition; LTC John E. Strandberg & Roger James Bender

Thanks to Allen Menke and Roy Hayward, two collectors who are always happy to help!

Very nice group, even if it is unknown who it was awarded to.

Thank you! It is a nice group, it shows wear and age, but is very special to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Joe,

Wow, nice collection! :thumbsup: I never realized there were so many versions to this medal.

A quick question on types 1 & 2. After reading your description on the ring, I assume this one is a Type 2 then?

Tim

post-50776-1311301685.jpg

Hi Joe,

Wow, nice collection! :thumbsup: I never realized there were so many versions to this medal.

A quick question on types 1 & 2. After reading your description on the ring, I assume this one is a Type 2 then?

Tim

Hi Tim,

You have a beautiful example. I'd say the acid test is to check the thickness. Seems like all Type I's are the thinner planchet measurement. The 5'oclock ring opening was noted by Allen Menke and holds true to my example in the original red issue box as well as several others I own with the thinner planchet measurement.

Thanks for reading and your nice comments!

Joe

Hey Joe,

I never chimed in on this thread!!

You have done a great job of putting together all of the variants of this medal. I have collected the three basic types, but have yet to work on the rest!! (To busy with the Fleet Reserve.)

Very nice! :thumbsup:

Hey Joe,

I never chimed in on this thread!!

You have done a great job of putting together all of the variants of this medal. I have collected the three basic types, but have yet to work on the rest!! (To busy with the Fleet Reserve.)

Very nice! :thumbsup:

Hi JS! many thanks for the nice words! I've always like the design of this medal and wanted to pay it my personal respects. I also do, however, LUST :jeal0001: for a "Fleet Marine", hopefully someday!

my best wishes!

Joe

Greeting all and a very Happy 4th of July holiday to everyone!

After enjoying Jack's Son posting on the USMC Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medal (Fleet Marine) I got to thinking about some of my favorite medal designs. One such design I've always admired is the Naval Reserve Medal with it's prominent U.S. Eagle on the obverse. I thought I'd take a minute and share a few pics from my collection as well as some info on this beautiful, and now obsolete, medal.

Here's a bit of historical background for new collectors. Established by SECNAV on 12 Sept 1938 as an award for any member of the Naval Reserve who completed 10 years of honorable service, which could be continuous or broken prior to 12 Sept 1958. Unlike the Armed Forces Reserve Medal it was not confined to a 12 year period and after 12 Sept 1958 is credited towards an Armed Forces Reserve Medal, but must meet the criteria of that award.

Please refer to the front and back view "group photo" for the below descriptions (reverse view will follow in a separate post).

post-48324-1309726232.jpg

Originally struck by the U.S. Mint and issued in a small red box (2-3/16" W x 3-3/16 H x 1-1/8" D) that has a red interior with a penciled number on the lid. The U.S. Mint strike appears to have been issued in two variations, both are on the full wrap USN style brooch with ring planchet suspensions. Type 1 has a thinner planchet in depth, but slightly wider across. I'll give all measurements I have at the end of my post. The ring opens at approximately 5 o'clock on the 1st issue Type 1 and varies on the 1st Issue Type 2 from 3 o'clock to almost 6 o'clock. Both have nice stiff ribbon drapes.

Next is the Bent Slot Brooch, common to the Metal Arts Type 1B Purple Heart* manufactured in 1939-1940.It is also ring suspended, with the ring opening at 3 o'clock. The ribbon drape on this example has a deeper red than the 1st issue types, also the blue edging is wider.

Following the Bent Slot are 2 examples with Sewn Slot Brooches. The suspension has now changed to a lug instead of a ring and the ribbon drapes vary in hue. I can't positively ID the era, but the sewn slot brooch is typical of WW II well through the 1950's.

We've made it to the second row! first (from the left) is a Crimped Slot Brooch example, these mark the transition from the sewn slot brooch to the crimp brooch seen on all new U. S. medals today. No doubt this style of brooch was meant to use up the old stock of sewn slot brooches without the extra hand-work (cost) of sewing them on by hand. A common example of this practice is evident on the earlier Army Commendation medals. Again, without an issue box or envelope these are hard to date, but certainly would come after the sewn slot and before the crimp brooch.

And finally three examples of Crimp Brooch issue. The 1st being maker marked with the Williams & Anderson hallmark, the next no mark and the last, with the noticeably different suspension drape color, marked CN-GI. (A side note: been trying to track down who CN-GI is, any help would be appreciated! I think they were a subsidiary of Lordship where they reworked stock, I have CN-GI overstrikes on LI-GI marked brooches). Pardon my digression, I know there are other examples out there by more manufacturers and I WELCOME any info, pics would be great too! These were all issued in the 1970's onward to those who had earned the medal, even though obsolete.

Now we are done with the "group photo".

Also featured is a very nice early mini made by BB&B. A boxed example by E. & H. Simon Inc., which is quite a nice strike. And a crimp brooch example with it's issue envelope. This example is not maker marked, but still a fine strike. (BTW, I didn't tear the envelope, that's how it came to me!)

I'm also including this beautiful medal featured in a few mounted group photos. These are:

A group of 4 to Lt Jg Charles Joseph Delany: Naval Reserve 1st Issue, Type 2, American Campaign, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign, WW II Victory and USN Occupation with Asia bar. This group is clutch back with a navy blue cloth back.

An (unfortunately) unknown naval aviator group of 5: Distinguished Service Cross, Air Medal, Navy Commendation, Naval Reserve Medal (lug suspension) and WW II Victory Medal. This group is pin-back with open catch.

Now as promised some measurements. PLEASE NOTE: These measurements can vary slightly, also for all planchet thickness dimensions I measured at approximately 6 o'clock under the fluke in an attempt to gauge true thickness without the variation that raised designs cause. Please refer to the group photo to correlate these measurements. All measurement are in inches using a digital set of calipers. Planchet width comes first, depth comes second.

1st Issue - Type 1: 1.292 .079

1st Issue - Type 2: 1.282 .127

Bent Slot: 1.295 .099

Sewn Slot 1: 1.330 .123

Sewn Slot 2: 1.325 .137

Crimped Slot: 1.327 .140

Crimp Williams & Anderson: 1.335 .130

Crimp unknown: 1.325 .125

Crimp CN-GI: 1.327 .137

Thank you to those who took the time to read this post, and thank you in advance to those who reply to it! I have ultra-high resolution of all of these photos, anyone wishing to see them just let me know and I'll post some links for you. Feel free to add or correct any information, this is what it's all about, sharing!

Best to all,

Joe

SOURCES and thanks:

*The Purple Heart - A History of America's Oldest Military Decoration; Frederic L. Borch III & F. C. Brown

The Call of Duty - Military Awards of the United States of America - Expanded Edition; LTC John E. Strandberg & Roger James Bender

Thanks to Allen Menke and Roy Hayward, two collectors who are always happy to help!

CN-GI = Columbia Button & Nail Corp. Great collection, thanks for sharing. Al Hirschler.

CN-GI = Columbia Button & Nail Corp. Great collection, thanks for sharing. Al Hirschler.

Many thanks for the maker ID!

I've always liked this medal....in contrast, I think the Armed Forces Reserve Medal is hideous...

:lol:

I do think they could have came up with a better obverse design. :pinch:

Tim

I've always liked this medal....in contrast, I think the Armed Forces Reserve Medal is hideous...

I agree with you and Tim, I've personally never been a fan of a generic reserve service award. I do, however, sort of like the hourglass X device for subsequent awards. Would also LOVE to get my hands on an early (genuine) example where the plain roman numeral "X" was used (unofficially?)

• 1 year later...
IrishGunner

Greetings! I found this forum when doing a search for info on the Naval Reserve Medal and greatly appreciated the info I found in this thread. I am hoping to get an opinion regarding this ribbon bar. While the colors don't seem to match exactly, I believe the ribbon in first place is the Naval Reserve Medal. What do the experts think?

post-118106-0-55664600-1368551946.jpg

IrishGunner

Greetings! I found this forum when doing a search for info on the Naval Reserve Medal and greatly appreciated the info I found in this thread. I am hoping to get an opinion regarding this ribbon bar. While the colors don't seem to match exactly, I believe the ribbon in first place is the Naval Reserve Medal. What do the experts think?

A closer image of the ribbon. In particular, I was interested to see the order of precedence on the above referenced groups - helping to persuade me that the ribbon in question is the Naval Reserve Medal, despite being out of order in relations to the WW2 medals.

post-118106-0-73261400-1368552068.jpg

Jack's Son

I believe the order of precedence is fine, GCM should be first with these ribbons. Looks good to me! :)

I lied! The ribbon in question IS out of order!! SORRY,

Keep in mind the actual order of precedence may have been different at that time compared to what it is today. GCM's were looked at differently back then as well. Time permitting, I can try to find some period information pertaining to this specific award.

Tim

Jack's Son

I was thinking GCM AT THE TIME OF MY ORIGONAL POST, then I realized it was the reserve medal. You are right however, a check of the prevailing precedence is the thing to do!

IrishGunner

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. Any additional information is appreciated.