• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TSC

TSC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,877
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:12 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't these given out to factory workers who were cranking out the U.S. tanks?
Also what's it worth?

Tony

Attached Images

• tank_frt.jpg

#2 TSC

TSC
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:13 PM

reverse

Attached Images

• tank_rev.jpg

#3 Capt.Confederacy

Capt.Confederacy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 286
  • 598 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:50 AM

I don't know whether these were given to tank workers. However, I have seen this style of tank decoration on sweetheart jewelry. That could be what it is. It's also possible that it could be a lapel pin.

As to value, I've seen the pin back version of these selling for $5-$10. The screwback could be more valuable.

#4 TSC

TSC
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:31 AM

Thanks! :)
Tony

#5 Jim Baker

Jim Baker
  • Members
    • Member ID: 78
  • 8,712 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:29 AM

Tony,

You may be right. It seems like I remember someone telling me that these were given to factory workers. Of course the memory is the first thing to go.... :blink:

#6 36-tex

36-tex
  • Members
    • Member ID: 98
  • 15,156 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:10 AM

I have even seen these added to collar disc for enlisted men during WWII.

#7 GLM *Deceased*

GLM *Deceased*

DECEASED

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 84
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:18 PM

Tony,

You may be right. It seems like I remember someone telling me that these were given to factory workers. Of course the memory is the first thing to go.... :blink:

You might have heard that from me, Jim?

Tony, Nice pin! Several years ago, I kept bumping into a fellow on eBay that was bidding fairly high on these small tank lapel pins and because I had a matched set, I emailed him to see if he wanted my duplicate. In the course of our conversations, he told me that these were, in fact, production pins for workers in the tank factories. I'm not sure if the initials on the reverse of yours were for the worker or the company's initials, but am leaning toward the worker. So far, I have seen pins for the Stuart, Grant and Sherman tanks. Here is an M4 "Sherman" pin from the F.L. Jacobs Co.

Gary

Attached Images

• sherman_fr.jpg
  • sherman_rev.jpg

#8 TSC

TSC
  • Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:01 PM

Hi Gary,

I like your pin also :) Do you have any more pictures you can post? I'd like to see other/more tank pins.
I thought it was neat little item and most unusual. I did post this on another Forum and I did remember the
bit about the factory workers. So maybe your the originator, so to speak, of this theory!

Thanks for your reply,
Tony

#9 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
    • Member ID: 569
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:19 PM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users