USS Utah - Last Mail

Steindaddie

Here's something you don't see every day: mail from a Pearl Harbor ship the day before the attack. 17 y/o Cecil Calavan of the USS Utah rushed to post this Christmas card in time for the mail boat on Saturday December 6th 1941. And I'm glad he did, because today he donated it to be incuded in a Pearl Harbor display I maintain. Cecil is a great guy and president of the USS Utah Survivors Association.

~Will

post-1949-1309492555.jpg

Steindaddie

Here's the Christmas card. 24 hours after he posted this, the Utah was torpedoed and then capsized.

post-1949-1309492684.jpg

Steindaddie

There's Cecil on the left holding the card he mailed almost 70 years ago. His pal is Tony who was aboard USS Nevada at Pearl Harbor. Tony is a proud and outspoken "Battleship Sailor" He joined the Nevada in 1938 (!) when she and her sister ships were America's first line of defense. I'm honored to call these men friends.

post-1949-1309493127.jpg

General Apathy
There's Cecil on the left holding the card he mailed almost 70 years ago. His pal is Tony who was aboard USS Nevada at Pearl Harbor. Tony is a proud and outspoken "Battleship Sailor" He joined the Nevada in 1938 (!) when she and her sister ships were America's first line of defense. I'm honored to call these men friends.

Hi Will, thanks for posting the card and the piece of history it encompasses, also great to see two veterans looking in such great physical shape, many more years for them.

ken

I think this is one little bit of history with a far more reaching meaning than it just being a card. The post mark of December 6, 1941 may be missed by the casual observer but now, in your themed collection, it will have an appropriate place for discussion along with the included story of the sailor who sent it home on the eve of the entrance into WWII for the U.S. :thumbsup:

KASTAUFFER

This is a great piece! I collect Pearl Harbor covers and only one from the 7th would be better. Most examples from the 7th were backdated by postal clerks as souvenirs but some legitimate examples exist.

Kurt

The Meatcan

what a great addition to the collection! And to top it off you are friends with the true "original poster", wow!

Imagine how strange it must be for him to be holding that postcard and remembering how his life changed so rapidly so soon after mailing it.

Terry

Steindaddie

I'm glad this old envelope is recieved with interest by forum members. I will tell Cecil, it's owner. He is always conscious of the fact that the USS Utah is the forgotten memorial of Pearl Harbor - most people have no idea she is still there.

Yesterday, he and I looked at this famous photo of the Utah capsizing, and he made a few remarks which perhaps forum members will find of interest. I added symbols to help.

X) marks where Cecil was when the first torpedoes hit. He looked out portholes (same as seen at (Y) on starboard side) to see what happened. He was in the head, shaving by order of Bosun's Mate Paul Acuff (brother of singer Roy Acuff). Cecil: "Acuff was a Tennessee man and he cussed with a lot of F-words to remind me I was in the navy now and had better look it, so I grabbed my razor and went aft to the head. Acuff had saved Cecil's life: 5 minutes later a torpedo slammed in to the compartment Cecil had vacated.

1) Cecil slid down the listing side of Utah to this shelf. Many other men were doing the same. He waited a few minutes unsure what to do. Men in a boat were urging him to jump ("they also used F-words" - Cecil)

2) Jumped in the water and was picked up by a boat.

3) That boat is here next to the mooring quay with Cecil aboard watching his ship roll over. "Lots of noises: hissing, rumbling, things breaking, the ship groaning and screeching."

4) The flag is at half-mast because the man raising it was strafed and killed while hoisting the colors.

5) I always wondered what these shed looking things were on Utah. Yesterday, Cecil told me they were steel boxes that were placed over 5 inch gun mounts to protect them when Utah was serving as a target. Utah is commonly dismissed as just a target ship, but she was also the fleet's primary anti-aircraft gunnery training vessel. As such, she carried all the latest weaponry - 5-inch, 1.1 inch .50 cal -all manned by gunnery instructors who were the crack shots of the navy. It still bothers Cecil that the Utah got it first before she could show the fleet how to really shoot!

Under those boxes (the crew called them "doghouses") were two state of the art 5' gun mounts. Normally exposed, they were covered that day because Utah was scheduled for target vessel duties and not gunnery.

post-1949-1309538824.jpg

RustyCanteen

Was he picked up by a launch from the Raleigh?

"Descent into darkness" By Raymer has a little about the attempted salvage in 1942-43 that may also interest you.

I agree that it's largely overshadowed by the BB-39 & BB-37, but I don't think it's forgotten.

Thats an Outstanding Piece of History you have got there

and Thanks for sharing it with us and the Information aswell.

Great Pictures taken there also of the WWII Navy Veterans :thumbsup:

Steindaddie
Was he picked up by a launch from the Raleigh?

"Descent into darkness" By Raymer has a little about the attempted salvage in 1942-43 that may also interest you.

I asked Cecil today and he said the boat was from Raleigh. The USS Tangier had a boat helping too. He also recalls some guy on Tangier bellowing over the PA urging all "Utah men to remain calm" This is while those men were clinging to boats, sliding down the Utah's hull, clutching the pilings on the mooring quays and being strafed. The Utah men finally had enough and yelled for the PA guy to come on over and see how calm he could be. (One guy also promised to swim over and kick the big-mouth's butt)

Read Raymer's book - I highly recommend it.

RustyCanteen

I thought it was, I read an account that mentioned it. Interesting story, thanks for sharing it. You don't hear much about the Utah, partly because it just didn't have as many people assigned to it as some of the BB's, so it's always interesting to hear different accounts.

I guess if he was shaving he hadn't eaten breakfast yet?

Steindaddie
I guess if he was shaving he hadn't eaten breakfast yet?

He was shaving because Bosun's Mate Acuff tore a strip off him - to heck with breakfast! :lol:

The Meatcan
Yesterday, he and I looked at this famous photo of the Utah capsizing, and he made a few remarks which perhaps forum members will find of interest. I added symbols to help.

wow - this is a fantastic bit of personal history! And thanks for including the photo and keyed information. Very informative!

I'm attaching a photo of Utah as she appeared in 2003. Thanks to you and Cecil for sharing part of his story. :thumbsup:

Terry

post-1208-1309718330.jpg