• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 kanemono

kanemono
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,487
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

I bought a very nice China Marine group to an officer who went in the service 1n 1935. He served in Shanghai (he was at Soochow creek in 1937) WWII and Korea. He retired a Brigadier General. I have his full dress cover with an ID as a Lieutenant Colonel on the inside and this pair of EGS's. The EGA's are both missing the screw nuts and they look new. Could he have worn these EGS's? Everything else is ID'ed with his name. I am hoping to get more items. I will post the group as soon as possible.
Dick

Attached Images

• Totman_Marine_EGA_pair.jpg

#2 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,530 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:15 PM

I bought a very nice China Marine group to an officer who went in the service 1n 1935. He served in Shanghai (he was at Soochow creek in 1937) WWII and Korea. He retired a Brigadier General. I have his full dress cover with an ID as a Lieutenant Colonel on the inside and this pair of EGS's. The EGA's are both missing the screw nuts and they look new. Could he have worn these EGS's? Everything else is ID'ed with his name. I am hoping to get more items. I will post the group as soon as possible.
Dick

No, those are current issue. Go to the EGA ref sec, click on officer emblems, go to the 1937 emblem ( collars - dress). Any number of emblems there are suitable.

#3 kanemono

kanemono
  • Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

Thank you for the information. He didn't retire until the 1960's. The EGS's have the gold content marked and "592" so would they have been in use during the end of his career? Here he is as a Brigadier General.
Dick

Attached Images

• Totman_color_photo.jpg

#4 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,272 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

so would they have been in use during the end of his career?
Dick

Yes - "modern" EGA's have been around for 49 years for officers and 56 years for enlisted.

#5 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,481 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

Believe they call these the 1958 pattern.

#6 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,530 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:31 AM

Do you know when this photograph was produced?

#7 kanemono

kanemono
  • Members
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

He started his career in 1935. He was a Lieutenant Colonel in the 1st Marine Division in 1951-1952 and retired as a Brigadier General. The photograph shows him as a Brigadier General so I would guess he served some period of time at that rank. 1960's I would guess.
Dick

#8 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:51 PM

Those sterling EGA's are fine, given the General's time of service. Based off of the markings, I would date those from the mid 1960's to early 1970's. I would not call them "modern". They are, however, of the current design. Most General officers do not distant themselves from Birthday Ball celebrations, and parties after their retirement. Most are brought back in as consultants and advisors to joint and higher level staffs. I do not find that he had these odd at all. He was more than likely active with "Corps" related function until the 1980's.

S/F,
Mike

#9 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,530 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:56 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users