45 replies to this topic

#26 Sgt Brown

Sgt Brown

IN MEMORIAM

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 81
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:38 PM

Actually, it doesn't matter which hand is the dominate one. What matters is which eye. Most righties have a right master eye while most lefties are left-eyed. Occasionally, however, you get someone whose master eye is opposite of their master hand. I worked with, and was firearms instructor for, a guy who was right-handed but left-eyed. He was also in the military and, at that time, it was "right hand only". So, he had to force himself to always keep his left eye closed or it screwed up his aim really bad.

Anyhow, finding out which was the master eye was one of the first thing we did on the range with rookies.

Tom

#27 mpguy80/08

mpguy80/08
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,743
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:49 PM

It is tough being left-handed in a right-handed world. :pinch: Only a lefty can understand the frustration.

I did not realize there were so many fellow "lefties" on here! :thumbsup:

....Kat

As far back as anyone in my family remembers, my grandmother and myself are the only two lefties in the family, on both sides. I have three brothers... and everyone I knew was right handed so I was taught to do everything right handed... to include throwing and shooting... the only thing was I could never write legibly right handed...

Wayne

#28 LtRGFRANK

LtRGFRANK
  • Members
    • Member ID: 551
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:09 PM

Being a righty till I lost my right eye I now shoot everything lefty. No problem. Even shooting and loading Garands.I shoot handguns both left and right just using my left eye. What was it Gunney Eastwood said? something about adapting. Robert

#29 combat-helmets

combat-helmets
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,954
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

As a lefty, I learned to do everything right handed. I play all sports right, and shoot right too...It feel natural.
I eat with my left hand, and write with my left hand... go figure... :think:

#30 rr01

rr01
  • Members
    • Member ID: 54,272
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

Conversely, learning to carry on patrol and shoot left handed was just as difficult for us righties. It was always good form to have every other weapon pointing in an alternate direction while on patrol, at least that is how we practiced as well as during IA drills. After that immediate contact was made it would be okay to switch to the dominant hand but our reason for this practice was to have the guy with responsibility to the right carry pointed that direction so you would not have to sweep a barrel across someones back. Sounds rather silly but it was one more thing to practice while in the field.

#31 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 24,355
  • 15,420 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

When I was younger, there were NOT nearly as many items made for lefties as there are today. I learned to was right hand fishing gear, rifles, etc.
Today I still live in the right handed world with these sorts of things, as I just cannot relearn to use left handed items. (My garage is filled with "well intentioned" left handed gifts. :blink: )

Like left handed wrenches, hammers and screw drivers?

:thumbsup:

Edited by RustyCanteen, 11 September 2012 - 02:09 PM.

#32 rr01

rr01
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

Knives & scissors

#33 mpguy80/08

mpguy80/08
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,743
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

Well, for those who insisted on having a weapon which fired and ejected safely for a left hander there was always the .30 caliber Browning M1919... the weapon could be set up to feed from either side, the links would eject from the opposite side from the feed and the casings ejected from the bottom of the weapon... "You want a left handed weapon Soldier? Have I got just the thing for you!" LOL

Wayne

#34 hirsca

hirsca
  • Members
    • Member ID: 12,790
  • 3,649 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

Left eye dominant. Throw left. Write left. Shoot handguns left.

Now, thanks to my father who was a Normandy Army Vet, taught (made) me to shoot long guns right, bat right and golf right.

I still put a small piece of scotch tape on the left lens of my glasses while shooting a shotgun to force my right eye to be dominant (both eyes open) and to follow the true bore axis of the gun. Still can't hit crap.

Is it too late for therapy?

Thanks, Al.

Edited by hirsca, 11 September 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#35 claymore

claymore
  • Members
    • Member ID: 19,272
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

Here is some more stuff on lefty's----- did you know that a horse does not care which side you mount on? Mounting on the left side comes from the days of the sword-there were few if any left handed knights-sword was trained right handed, (there were no lefty Samurai at all) your sword was carried on the left hip and in the way when mounting on the right-- even cavalry ---- so to this day the tradition is carried on---
only left handed people are in their right minds ;)

claymore

#36 DSchlagan

DSchlagan

IN MEMORIAM

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 21,709
  • 804 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

Knives & scissors

Actually, [funny enough] standard-R.H.-built scissors/shears and the like, (tin-snips, aviation-snips, etc.) do not function very well at all if used in the left hand.
This is because the natural force exerted, on the axis point, forces the shearing blades apart, when used left-handed; instead of forcing the shearing blades towards each other, when meshed together.
And, yes, there really are left handed scissors/shears available.

I'm glad that the issue of eye-dominance was brought up.
I believe that this is more important than 'preferred-handedness', when firing a weapon with accuracy.

Regards,
Don.

#37 rr01

rr01
  • Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Actually, [funny enough] standard-R.H.-built scissors/shears and the like, (tin-snips, aviation-snips, etc.) do not function very well at all if used in the left hand.
This is because the natural force exerted, on the axis point, forces the shearing blades apart, when used left-handed; instead of forcing the shearing blades towards each other, when meshed together.
And, yes, there really are left handed scissors/shears available.
I'm glad that the issue of eye-dominance was brought up.
I believe that this is more important than 'preferred-handedness', when firing a weapon with accuracy.

Regards,
Don.

Very true, a fact I was acknowledging without saying so while trying to recognize that left~handed knives and scissors are often sold alongside the standard ones.
Interesting topic.

#38 F-89J

F-89J
  • Members
    • Member ID: 43,694
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

That is how it is now, but in my talking with a lot of older vets from the wood rifle ages, they were all forced to learn to shoot right handed, even up through the M-14. It is nearly impossible to properly function a right hand made rifle, especially a bolt action rifle in an efficient rapid manner if you are shooting left handed. You have to literally unseat the rifle to get to the bolt and in rapid fire, that affects accuracy. Cycling a charging slide in a left handed position isn't quite as cumbersome, but is still an inefficient proposition. Also, having 1/10th of your force facing the wrong way on a firing line or a foxhole just wasn't going to work.
Many of the machine gun covers had their latches on the right side, prime example, the M-60. Trying to unlatch the cover from the wrong side is tough.
Today, with the fairly ambidextrous M-16, it's not so bad, but even now, the safety switch is backwards. You used to be able to identify the left handed shooters by the red blisters on their throats and upper chest. The built in brass deflector has helped with that, but now it flicks the brass in the face of the guy standing next to you. I've taken several hot casings down the front of my armor from the guy next to me.

I went through basic training in 1959 as a lefty, no attempt was made to have me shoot right handed. "Just get down there and qualify"! I went on to have a very successfull career as a highpower shooter earning the Distinguished Rifleman Badge. I never had any problem with the M-1 or M-14 and set a National 200 yd rapid fire record with the M-1.
As for the bolt rifle I had no problem shooting it accurately either. There are a lot of left handed bolt rifle shooters that would take exception that their accuracy has suffered because they are left handed. It's a matter of adapting to the rifle and developing a technique that works. During the time that I competed, the 200yd rapid fire time for a ten shot string including a reload was 60 seconds for the bolt rifle, 70 seconds at 300 yds. "Clean" targets were common.

#39 DSchlagan

DSchlagan

IN MEMORIAM

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 21,709
  • 804 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

Very true, a fact I was acknowledging without saying so while trying to recognize that left~handed knives and scissors are often sold alongside the standard ones.
Interesting topic.

Yes, it is indeed an interesting topic.

While many would also equate a 'left-handed knife', right along with the likes of "checkerboard paint and left-handed-monkey-wrenches"; it is NOT so.
One will note that any quality made, serrated-blade kitchen knife (a bread-knife for one example); will have the option, for the lefty, of the serrations on the opposite side of the blade, vs. a right-handed model.

I have also made custom knives for left-handed folks.
And especially when making the grips out of a non-uniform material, such as antler, I will constantly evaluate the 'feel' of the grip towards that 'handed' requirement.

Regards,
Don.

#40 67Rally

67Rally
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,529
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

The discussion is definitely interesting. One thing I know for certain...the muzzle-end is ambidextrous. If you're a lefty or a righty, it hits the enemy just the same.

#41 5thwingmarty

5thwingmarty
  • Members
    • Member ID: 96,854
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:29 AM

Aren't hand grenades also sort of designed for right handed folk? My dad said he was almost killed during basic during their live grenade drill. He was paired with a lefty who dropped the grenade when he pulled the pin as instructed with his left hand, then just stood there frozen. Dad scouped it up and tossed it over the barrier so all ended well.

Marty

#42 45ACP

45ACP
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,776
  • 581 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

'mpguy80/08' sorry the M1919 feeds from the left only and links come out the right only. Now the ANM2 .30cal aircraft MG, M37 tank MG, and ANM2 .50 cal can be set up to feed from either side. The M37 is a modified M1919. On the M1919 there is not enough length in the link ejection port to eject an empty case.

Check out this thread
http://www.usmilitar...;hl=machine gun

Well, for those who insisted on having a weapon which fired and ejected safely for a left hander there was always the .30 caliber Browning M1919... the weapon could be set up to feed from either side, the links would eject from the opposite side from the feed and the casings ejected from the bottom of the weapon... "You want a left handed weapon Soldier? Have I got just the thing for you!" LOL

Wayne

Edited by 45ACP, 13 September 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#43 pchepurko

pchepurko
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,651
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:03 AM

I was forced to shot lefty in basic and barely qualified witht he M16, which I find can be shot either righty or lefty. The big problem I had was keeping the left eye closed. Shotting lefty was impossible with an M60 machine gun, unless you were firing from the hip.

#44 SDC

SDC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,625
  • 300 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:10 AM

Another mixed up lefty here (write, throw, tennis left; bat, golf right as examples). However my real issue is that I'm right eye dominant. This isn't a big deal with rifles, a bit more of an issue with trap, skeet, etc. but I just bought a 92FS and can't hit what I (think) I'm aiming at. Everything seems to be low and away left. I assume this is becasue I'm so new to pistol shooting, but given my right-eyed-ness, should I be shooting right handed? Also, other than switching the mag release, are there any other left handed modifications that can be made to the 92FS?

#45 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 6,419 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

I'd say being off with a handgun has less to do with dominant eye than learning curve. You can hold a pistol out right in front of you and its position doesn't change much regardless of which is your primary hand, and youwould naturally align it to match your dominant eye. If you shoot a rifle right handed and use your left eye, for example, the sights will be way off unless you can get your face completely over the stock and use your left eye in line with the bore like a right/right or left/left person would. Down and left sounds like your left trigger finger is pulling the gun in that direction.

Edited by Garandomatic, 14 September 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#46 Flashlarue

Flashlarue
  • Members
    • Member ID: 87,451
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

I too am a lefty and I can honestly say, after 23 years in the Army and firing literally thousands upon thousands of rounds left handed using a M16 without a brass deflector, I have never once been burnt by brass out of my rifle. Several days I fired 1,000 - 2,000 rounds at a time on the range without any problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users