My latest - an ID'd E.G. Waterman USN knife!

tsellati

I picked this one up off auction from our very own, tigerfan.

egwleftsidecomposite2.jpg

egwrightsidecomposite.jpg

It is an E.G. Waterman fighting knife that was carried by (I presume) a U.S. Navy sailor stationed aboard the U.S.S. Regal/Rigal, a Destroyer tender, that was moored in Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked on 7th Dec. 1941.

Here are close-ups of the knife, grips, and blade markings -

egwstandingtall.jpg

egwgripleftside.jpg

egwgriprightside.jpg

EGWKNIFElogo.jpg

And, best of all, both knife pommel and leather scabbard are stamped/marked with the sailor's initials "J.R.D." -

JRDstampedpommel.jpg

The tip of the scabbard also sports a "U.S.N. and anchor" artwork -

USNlogomarkings.jpg

It took my daughter Becky's younger eyes to make out "From Dad" on the back of the scabbard -

FromDadmarking.jpg

This leads me to speculate whether this knife was purchased by a father and then given to his son as a gift when he enlisted and shipped out.

Tim

Thought you might also be interested to see an excerpt from "The Best of US Military Knives: Bayonets & Machetes", the tribute to seminal works by M. H. Cole.

P1020292.jpg

I certainly do prefer the WWII-era pricing of these knives :thumbsup:.

P1020293.jpg

One interesting note is that given these were commercial hunting and fishing knives, it reinforces my thinking this was a private purchase knife the dad then gave to his son.

Tim

OK, OK, what am I missing? There are 119 views and not a single comment. That usually means there is something wrong with the knife and everyone is too polite to say anything. Or, am I just being paranoid and an EGW knife is just too "plain Jane" to comment on?

Tim

Well, I like it! Great score, especially with the personalized sheath. I only have one EGW...it's unmarked and has a 7.25" blade with a wider fuller. No mistaken it's a Waterman, though. I know EGWs don't come up too often, so maybe some folks are at a loss for an example to compare it to before they comment?

No worries...your group is very nice. I wish I could provide some feedback on that knife...but I am not an expert. From my novice experience, I'd say that it is a private purchase that the veteran carried with him in service. It is a very nice-looking knife that resembles the USN knife that I have. The jumper is a very nice non-rated dress blue with a campaign ribbon.

Well, I like it! Great score, especially with the personalized sheath. I only have one EGW...it's unmarked and has a 7.25" blade with a wider fuller. No mistaken it's a Waterman, though. I know EGWs don't come up too often, so maybe some folks are at a loss for an example to compare it to before they comment?

Phew, glad you chimed in here elbertson. After so many views and no comments, I was starting to worry :unsure: .

Tim

elbertson,

It sounds like your EGW knife fits the description of this unmarked variant picture on page 293 of "The Best of US Military Knives: Bayonets & Machetes" -

EGWknifevariant3.jpg

And, for those that may be interested, here is a clearer image of what Cole terms variant #1 and #2 -

EGWknifevariants1and2.jpg

Interestingly, there appear to be versions that have a mixture of features of the 3 pictured variants. For instance, I have seen a #2 variant blade with a #1 variant handle (tight and thin leather spacers with a hexagonal pommel ring "tab") instead of the #2 variant wooden handle. I also have seen a variant #3 with the 7 3/8" blade, but, does have the "EGW Knife" marking as opposed to being unmarked.

I would love to see photos of other EGW knives that forum members might own.

Tim

Still-A-Marine
Interestingly, there appear to be versions that have a mixture of features of the 3 pictured variants. For instance, I have seen a #2 variant blade with a #1 variant handle (tight and thin leather spacers with a hexagonal pommel ring "tab") instead of the #2 variant wooden handle. I also have seen a variant #3 with the 7 3/8" blade, but, does have the "EGW Knife" marking as opposed to being unmarked.

I would love to see photos of other EGW knives that forum members might own.

Tim

Here are my two. I always liked the saw bladed versions with the bottle openers.

Bill

post-4347-1308506724.jpg

post-4347-1308506739.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

These are generally accepted to be EG Watermans as well. Same pommel, guard, and tang through construction with the pommel ring.

Militaria025.jpg

These are generally accepted to be EG Watermans as well. Same pommel, guard, and tang through construction with the pommel ring.

Militaria025.jpg

Wow, I love that display :thumbsup:. Did the medals and other items come with the knives or did you group the items yourself? Either way, you did an excellent job.

Thanks for sharing.

Tim

Still-A-Marine

Militaria025.jpg

Outstanding grouping. Bill

Wow, I love that display :thumbsup:. Did the medals and other items come with the knives or did you group the items yourself? Either way, you did an excellent job.

Thanks for sharing.

Tim

I tossed in the fruit salad to fill space. I have three or four more the same as these but with a different handle pattern. They aren't were I thought they were or I would have showed them as well. I"ll have to dig for them. If I find them I will post them.

Well, here's my Waterman...no sheath with it. I'm beginnig to think there must have been a variation for every knifemaker in EGW's employ!

post-11898-1309281545.jpg

Well, here's my Waterman...no sheath with it. I'm beginnig to think there must have been a variation for every knifemaker in EGW's employ!

post-11898-1309281545.jpg

The same thing has crossed my mind. :lol: I love the fuller on the above example. :thumbsup:

I found a couple more. I may have sold the rest, as there should be another one with a black handle and one with an orange? handle. This is one of the black handled ones and except for a slight wiggle in the pommel it is virtually mint. Never sharpened.

Militaria034.jpg

This one has some mileage on it but as Watermans go it is still nice.

Militaria033.jpg

And collectively. I'll try to find the rest of them. Unless I was having a bad day I usually don't sell my EGW fighters. The true fighters I should add. All the other EGW's I've seen (and had) wouldn't pop a balloon> :lol:

Militaria040.jpg

*king*,

I especially like the variant with what looks to be metal spacers interspersed between the leather spacers of the handle. I have not seen this style before.

The other handle variant I like (but do not own an example :crying:) is the one made of wood. You do not see them that often and when you do they often are cracked. I think the folly of this design became apparent rather quickly and I bet few were made before a switch to leather handles.

Tim

Still-A-Marine
The other handle variant I like (but do not own an example :crying:) is the one made of wood. You do not see them that often and when you do they often are cracked. I think the folly of this design became apparent rather quickly and I bet few were made before a switch to leather handles.

Tim

All the wood handle versions I have seen have been cracked. Here is a closer look at the one I posted above. It is cracked by the guard. I have thought about gluing it but am a little concerned it may cause a different crack.

Bill

post-4347-1309486153.jpg

Still-A-Marine
Unless I was having a bad day I usually don't sell my EGW fighters. The true fighters I should add. All the other EGW's I've seen (and had) wouldn't pop a balloon> :lol:

*king*

Could you explain the difference between the true fighters and the EGW's that wouldn't pop a balloon? BTW you have a really nice selection.

Bill

11thcavsniper

Tim, It looks as if scored on this one. Nice WWII Knife. I have been super busy and haven't been in touch. My folks got flooded out in Minot, North Dakota if you have seen the news. They are 86 and lost their home to 7' of water on the main floor. Nice addition to your growing collection. L.T.

Tim, It looks as if scored on this one. Nice WWII Knife. I have been super busy and haven't been in touch. My folks got flooded out in Minot, North Dakota if you have seen the news. They are 86 and lost their home to 7' of water on the main floor. Nice addition to your growing collection. L.T.

Hi L.T.,

Yeah, I was pretty pleased to pick up this one. It was one of those situations where I was not necessarily looking for an EGW knife, but, like the initialed scabbard and pommel and decided - why not?

Tim

*king*

Could you explain the difference between the true fighters and the EGW's that wouldn't pop a balloon? BTW you have a really nice selection.

Bill

Sure Bill, this is usually the blade shape found on all EGW's with blade lengths less than 7.58 inches.

GEDC0138_032.jpg

If you're swinging from the hip it might not make any difference but if you're in tight and have to push a blade through clothing I would rather have the blade shape on the full sized knife.

Militaria042.jpg

And I found another one. I still think I have more.

Militaria043.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Very nice knifes :)

Here is photo of USMC PBJ crewmember who also carried E.G. Wateman knife If im correct ...

Enjoy,

Jerry

post-369-1312629093.jpg

post-369-1312629107.jpg

Still-A-Marine
Hi Guys,

Very nice knifes :)

Here is photo of USMC PBJ crewmember who also carried E.G. Wateman knife If im correct ...

Enjoy,

Jerry

Thanks for posting the picture. I always look for pictures of Marines carrying edged weapons. Especially the non-standard issue items. It justifies my buying them for my collection. :lol: Bill