WW2 Letters

ww2vault

Jeffrey Magut

May 3, 1945

Dear Mom & Dad,

I am writing this as a free man once again. I was liberated April 22, 1945 by the Russians. The reason I am still here is lack of transportation...I am really hungry and can eat anything but black bread. The Jerries give us too much of that...I lied about my rank over here so I wouldn't help the Nazis. I told them I was a T/5. Have a lot to say to you and tell you; such as my escape on a march from the Jerries, which lasted one day. I was waiting for the Russians 15km the west side of the Oder River and they stopped at the Oder. More later-Boy I'm glad to see this Stars & Stripes Correspondent...Jack.

In his diary, Jack tells of escaping with another soldier and hiding in a farmer's barn. The next morning they look out to see the farm swarming with SS men, so they surrender...again.

Nice letter thumbsup.gif I love post repatriation letters from POW's . You really get an insite on what it was like for them and how glad they were to be free. In the POW correspondance lots I own, the " I am Free" letters were always the best ones to read.

Kurt