17 replies to this topic

#1 nguoi tien su

nguoi tien su
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,739
  • 885 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:34 PM

Hello,

A friend of mine has just shown me that great photo picturing 1st Cavalry troopers with strange M79s just before deployment in Vietnam.

Posted Image

Do you know what modification was made or what accessory was used here ?

Thank you !

#2 copdoc

copdoc
  • Members
    • Member ID: 498
  • 492 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:31 AM

Does this help? You have a neat picture. This prototype is in the South Carolina Air National Guard Museum. Well worth a trip. Look up the director Buddy and tell him Doc said "Hi". Sorry for short response. Time for work.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 nguoi tien su

nguoi tien su
  • Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:31 AM

Nothing could be better ! Thank you very much. :thumbsup:

BTW, the photo is for sale on ebay at the moment.

#4 Bill in VA

Bill in VA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 302
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:55 AM

Taking it slightly off-course, it's also a really neat photo because it appears to show all three patterns of OG-107s in use at once.

#5 Cong An Phap

Cong An Phap
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,712
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:31 AM

Thanks very much for this picture! :bravo:

That's unbelievable!!

Do you know how many prototypes have been build?

#6 dalbert

dalbert
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,815
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

So, the only thing I can figure is that the whole 3-round holder moves through the weapon like a solid belt. Any thoughts? When I first looked at the photo, I just thought maybe the device sticking out of the M79 was an extra cartridge holder.

David Albert
[email protected]

#7 copdoc

copdoc
  • Members
    • Member ID: 498
  • 492 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

David
I did not shoot it but as near as I remember it is as you said ("3 round holder moves through the weapon like a solid belt") like a giant harmonica gun.

nguoi tien su
Can you post a link to your auction, if it is acceptable?

#8 nguoi tien su

nguoi tien su
  • Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 04:50 AM

Here you are :

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

like a giant harmonica gun

I love that kind of melody !

#9 Linedoggie

Linedoggie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,030
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:48 AM

There's a Pump action as well, from China Lake in a Museum in Hanoi

http://en.wikipedia....renade_Launcher

#10 ordnance

ordnance
  • Members
    • Member ID: 340
  • 214 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:50 PM

Cool photo of the T148E1s. First time I've seen that many together in one image.

As noted in the display card in Copdoc's museum photo, the T148E1 pre-dated the M79 and was the preferred design to launch the 40mm grenades developed a few years earlier. They felt the multi-shot launcher would provide superior firepower compared to the single-shot XM-79 and set up an experimental production run to work out the manufacturing bugs. Not sure about the total number produced but recall it was around 300 units.

In testing, the unfortunate flaws of the harmonica feed design were discovered. The constant-force spring used to advance the feed block often failed to correctly locate the chamber for the next round. The gap between feed block and barrel allowed uneven gas venting and velocity variations from round to round. The greatest problem was simply the two big open chambers sticking out the side of the launcher that got fouled with sticks, mud, and other debris when carried in the field. So they were shelved in favor of the simpler single-shot XM79.

The T148E1 still wasn't dead at that point, though. Complaints came in from Vietnam requesting a 40mm launcher with greater firepower than the M79. With several hundred T148E1s in storage, a maintenance manual was quickly printed at Rock Island Arsenal in 1966 and a bunch of them were sent to Vietnam for field testing. Of course, once they got out in the bush, all the old problems came back and were confirmed all over again.

Here's a Vietnam photo of one in use with the 75th Rangers and a few views of the harmonica feed block. As you can see, it's a little more complex than it appears in other photos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 nguoi tien su

nguoi tien su
  • Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:57 PM

Wonderful photos and outstanding info ! Thank you !!!

#12 strangepair03

strangepair03
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,999
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:56 AM

My father fired on of those at Ft. Dix in 1960.....I always wondered what 3 round grenade launcher he was talking about. Thanks!!!!

#13 macvsog

macvsog
  • Inactive
    • Member ID: 44,624
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:59 PM

I will be honest. I have never seen a pic of one of those types. I have seen the three shot barrel before on the bottom of the experimental version. I have definitely seen the pump-action M-79. On top of that I have seen the XM148 underneath of the M16 which was by far a waist of money and a mechanical nightmare. Thanks for showing me this Ordnance!

#14 Inertord

Inertord
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,483
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:42 PM

Another US T148E1 Photo, note the M1 Garand Style Buttplate.

Posted Image

#15 nguoi tien su

nguoi tien su
  • Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:56 AM

Nice photo ! Thank you !

#16 FTrooper

FTrooper
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,873
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:06 PM

I actual won the above picture from Ebay. I used to work at the First Cavalry Division Museum and helped do alot of research on 1/9 Cav. As can be seen LTC Stockton was able to acquire several of the T148E1 for his Blues. They took them into the Ia Drang battles of 1965. Initially for ambush they loved them, but they were a bit complicated to reload with the rolling flat spring and that the "box" doesn't just snap in/out like a rifle magazine. Once the first three shots were done, it took almost as much time to reload as a regular M79, basically 6 shots out of either ended about the same time (it is interesting as this was also the case with the M1870 Remington single shot pistol vs. a Single Action Army type. With reload time, 12 shots ended about the same, saw a demo on this years ago)...and them there were all the quirks mentioned above. 1/9 soon removed them from service with their Infantry/Blue squads, but alot of the scout helicopter observers carried them as late as 1968.

Chris Fischer
F-Troop

#17 Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Cap Camouflage Pattern I
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,751
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:00 PM

old thread I know

T148E1.JPG

https://youtu.be/0GJgmfPe56w?t=390

#18 Cap Camouflage Pattern I