Tiger Stripe find

pbuchh7715

pbuchh7715

Greetings,

I tried to do as much homework before posting a question without pictures (sorry, just moved). I made it through the first 40 pages dedicated to TS and figured I had better do some actual work :)

I picked up a tiger stripe top at a local flea market in the plastic bag. I believe it is tadpole pattern (sorry to use a possible Johnson term) with double button pockets.

There is a stamp in the small of the neck in a small rectangle

A-M

TO78

What I thought was most interesting was the paper nomenclature slip in the sealed bag:

8415-W50-3740

JACKET, TIGER STRIPE, ASIA

SIZE MEDIUM

1 E A

DAJB09-70-C-TO78

A-12/70

The detail is very crisp on the patterns; the fabric appears to be a thicker cotton (?).

I have no reason to believe the older woman selling was out to screw me based on the selling price that was less than the Polish sausage I bought for lunch. Regardless, I would like some initial thoughts and will post pictures within the next day or so. It was rather warm today and I want to take advantage of my new lake access to wash the stink off my bod :)

Best,

Peter

kjones5452

Hey Peter,

In my opinion, any tiger stripe that can be got for a few dollars still in the bag, whether real or repro is a good snag.

Sounds promising.Look forward to the pics.

Several year ago I had thehne to buy a shirt and pnt both in a blueish celophane type plastic bag.

RD

The only part of those markings I recognize is "A-M" stands for Asian-Medium (i.e. made for our South Vietnamese friends who were smaller in stature). Look forward to the pics!

pbuchh7715

Greetings,

I have some crude pictures to upload but having some difficulty with my new network setup at the house....and I think my router died. I will try to have some pics posted this afternoon. Thanks for the replies thus far.

Best,

Peter

Hi,

from your transcription it seems to be perfectly legit. I had never seen the paper label before, but new of the T078 markings. It is cool to find out that TO78 is actually the last part of the contract number!

pbuchh7715

O.K. The pictures stink but at least give me credit for buying a new wireless router so I could post :)

You can see that this one was stored on the top of the pile, hence the interesting fading and weird hue.

Best,

Peter

post-2882-1306960310.jpg

post-2882-1306960319.jpg

pbuchh7715

As soon as I can, I'll add pictures of the stamp on the inside of the neck.

Best,

Peter

Looks right.I posted a SVN made 45 auto holster here on the forum and it has a similar paper lable.

Ya done well son!!!!

RD

vintageproductions

Now fold it back up and put it back in the bag.....

To still find a piece with the original issue bag is amazing.

pbuchh7715
Now fold it back up and put it back in the bag.....

To still find a piece with the original issue bag is amazing.

Normally I cringe at removing anything from the original packaging but since it came with five others, I thought it would be o.k. to pull this one out to photograph :)

Yes, it came with several brothers. I was amazed I found them at all as I watched a series of military items walk out the front gate as I arrived. And to think we were going to spend the morning at the lake :)

Best,

Peter

Normally I cringe at removing anything from the original packaging but since it came with five others, I thought it would be o.k. to pull this one out to photograph :)

Yes, it came with several brothers. I was amazed I found them at all as I watched a series of military items walk out the front gate as I arrived. And to think we were going to spend the morning at the lake :)

Best,

Peter

There are members on here who are going to envy you....greatly. As Bob said, tough enough to find ONE with the original packaging... SIX of them is unheard of. Congrats!

pbuchh7715

Greetings,

One other has some slight fading that I can tell and they're all rather musty. The vendor who had them for sale is not a "regular" at this particular flea market and had some cool and unusual items, all of which (according to her) were gathered by her husband over the course of the years. She was quite happy to sell them all as she and her son didn't think anyone would be interested since they were old and small.

I'll try to take some pictures of the complete haul in the RECENT FINDS section tonight.

Yes, I will be parting with these though I will certainly keep one or two for myself. These are sort of an anomaly so if anyone could provide me with some fair pricing guidance I would appreciate it. I would rather share my finds with interested members of the forum before I post any on eBay.

Best,

Peter

River Patrol

I think the one with the faded section is really kool and would be worthy of material for a reference book, because it shows the fade due only to light (and not due to jungle use and multiple washings) right next to material not light faded.....eventhough it's only an anomoly, it's really kinda unique!!!

I think the one with the faded section is really kool and would be worthy of material for a reference book, because it shows the fade due only to light (and not due to jungle use and multiple washings) right next to material not light faded.....eventhough it's only an anomoly, it's really kinda unique!!!

Just what I was thinking!

• 4 weeks later...

Very Coll and hard to find .

The dyes in tigers tended to by natural and not man made like todays prints , this being said they faded like this stunning example , keep it in the bag and enjoy it for what it is ....a Rare piece of camouflage history .

owen

Since you got "TO78" tiger stripes I would like to share my knowledge. I did a lot of research about tiger stripes made in Japan duirng 60's and 70's. Your TS was printed by some small print shops in Minami district of Yokohama, Japan and sewing was done on Okinawa in December 1970.

US Army Procurement Agency Japan (Yokohama, Japan) ordered several kinds of tiger stripes and other items such as Jungle Fatigue, CISO rucksack, knives, pistol belts, boonie hats, helmets, etc. thru a large trading company in Tokyo.

TO78 is mostly in this patter and many TS collectors called it "Okinawa Tiger". Many peolple believed Okinawa produced tiger stripes, but that's a wrong statement. Okinawa never printed tiger stripes. They did just sewing. There were several print shops in Yokohama and Osaka in those days and they printed high quality JWD, JWS, Tadpoles.

Your jacket came with a paper indicates DAJB09 contract number and that tells me final production (sewing) was done on Okinawa. DAJB09 can be either Okinawa or Taiwan but it also says "A"-12/70. A is Okinawa and B is Taiwan.

For your reference, here is contract number and regional relationship of TS procured by US Army Procurement Agency.

DAJB03: South Korea

DAJB04: South Vietnam

DAJB09: Okinawa or Taiwan

DAJB17: Okinawa (non-combat suits. Rucksack or others ordered by CISO).

FIY, DAJBxx-66-C-0255 is Jungle Fatigue (2nd and 3rd type) made in Japan for USAPA for Vietnam.

Approx 200,000 pcs were made in 1966 and 1967 under DAJB contract and went to Vietnam.

You can still find those jungle fatigues on eBay or military show once in a while.

Cheers!

Steve

Beau-Brummel

Fantastic research Steve,

It Is very good of you to share It with us sir.

I've learnt a lot, thank you.

Yours, Guy.

Since you got "TO78" tiger stripes I would like to share my knowledge. I did a lot of research about tiger stripes made in Japan duirng 60's and 70's. Your TS was printed by some small print shops in Minami district of Yokohama, Japan and sewing was done on Okinawa in December 1970.

US Army Procurement Agency Japan (Yokohama, Japan) ordered several kinds of tiger stripes and other items such as Jungle Fatigue, CISO rucksack, knives, pistol belts, boonie hats, helmets, etc. thru a large trading company in Tokyo.

TO78 is mostly in this patter and many TS collectors called it "Okinawa Tiger". Many peolple believed Okinawa produced tiger stripes, but that's a wrong statement. Okinawa never printed tiger stripes. They did just sewing. There were several print shops in Yokohama and Osaka in those days and they printed high quality JWD, JWS, Tadpoles.

Your jacket came with a paper indicates DAJB09 contract number and that tells me final production (sewing) was done on Okinawa. DAJB09 can be either Okinawa or Taiwan but it also says "A"-12/70. A is Okinawa and B is Taiwan.

For your reference, here is contract number and regional relationship of TS procured by US Army Procurement Agency.

DAJB03: South Korea

DAJB04: South Vietnam

DAJB09: Okinawa or Taiwan

DAJB17: Okinawa (non-combat suits. Rucksack or others ordered by CISO).

FIY, DAJBxx-66-C-0255 is Jungle Fatigue (2nd and 3rd type) made in Japan for USAPA for Vietnam.

Approx 200,000 pcs were made in 1966 and 1967 under DAJB contract and went to Vietnam.

You can still find those jungle fatigues on eBay or military show once in a while.

Cheers!

Steve

Peter,

Here is a sample picture of DAJB contract 2nd type jungle fatigue jacket made in 1966.

It is "DAJB03" which means final sewing was completed in South Korea.

All garments were made in Japan but the final products were completed in a few different places

such as Okinawa, Taiwan, S. Korea and South Vietnam.

Cheers!

Steve

post-48645-1309888962.jpg

Peter,

Here is a sample picture of DAJB contract 2nd type jungle fatigue jacket made in 1966.

It is "DAJB03" which means final sewing was completed in South Korea.

All garments were made in Japan but the final products were completed in a few different places

such as Okinawa, Taiwan, S. Korea and South Vietnam.

Cheers!

Steve

Here is the tag picture.

Steve

post-48645-1309889168.jpg

• 2 months later...

vf154, great information!

pbuchh7715 (the original poster), posted these Tiger Stripes in this section as well as in the LATEST FINDS AND ACQUISITIONS! section (see link below)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=111500

I posted in the "other" thread that I was able to track the contract down and posted the following information in that thread:

"the contract was let in FY1970 (June 1970 to be specific, with the contract requiring a completion date of December 1970) to Chung Nan Textile Company Limited of Taiwan. During FY1970 this company received several contracts and I was just wondering if any of the other paper labels had different contract information."

I was just wondering if the company I mentioned is one that you had come across before.

vf154, great information!

pbuchh7715 (the original poster), posted these Tiger Stripes in this section as well as in the LATEST FINDS AND ACQUISITIONS! section (see link below)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=111500

I posted in the "other" thread that I was able to track the contract down and posted the following information in that thread:

"the contract was let in FY1970 (June 1970 to be specific, with the contract requiring a completion date of December 1970) to Chung Nan Textile Company Limited of Taiwan. During FY1970 this company received several contracts and I was just wondering if any of the other paper labels had different contract information."

I was just wondering if the company I mentioned is one that you had come across before.

The original post by pbuchh7715 has been moved to Uniforms.