Franklin Richard Shipe ARM2/c USNR VB-110 killed 24 August 1944

kanemono

Franklin Richard Shipe ARM2/c USNR VB-110 was killed on a training flight when his Navy PB4Y-1 flew into mountain in heavy fog near Breckton South Wales on 24 Aug. 1944. He was awarded the Air Medal for anti-submarine operations during the D-Day landings. A Gold Star was posthumously given to his wife in lieu of a second Air Medal. The group includes all of his paperwork and all of the paperwork related to his death. I thought Memorial Day was a fitting time to post this group.

Dick

post-9487-1306787693.jpg

Bob Hudson

Thanks for sharing that. The PBY's were one of the Navy's great weapons of WWII and their long range really put their crews to the test.

I am sorry to say that he never received a Purple Heart since he was not KIA. Here is a picture of a PB4Y-1 of VB-110 flying over Dunkswell Control Tower Sept 1944. Also a memorial plaque inside the church at Dunkswell with the names of the men who died while serving at Dunkswell Naval Air Facility. Lt. Joseph P. Kennedy was killed while serving at Dunkswell.

Dick

post-9487-1306789865.jpg

post-9487-1306789895.jpg

I have the Purple Heart and Air Medal to Donald C. Gamble (DC Gamble)

He was with Bombing 110 and failed to return from a mission on 3/31/44

Thanks for showing the group

Bill

Thanks for sharing that. The PBY's were one of the Navy's great weapons of WWII and their long range really put their crews to the test.

PBY = Catalina

PB4Y= Privateer

Same maker, Consolidated, but two different aircraft.

KASTAUFFER
PBY = Catalina

PB4Y= Privateer

Same maker, Consolidated, but two different aircraft.

There is also the twin tail ( PB4Y-1 Liberator) and the single tail version of the PB4Y ( PB4Y-2 Privateer ) . The twin tail version is basically a B-24.

Kurt

VB-110 and the planes that flew out of Dunkswell were U.S. Navy PB4Y-1 (B-24) Liberators. ARM2/c Shipe flew and was killed in No. 38753 "F" of VB/VPB 110. Eleven PB4Y-1's were lost by VB-110 from 1 May 1943-1 May 1945. Sixty-seven men were lost by VB-110 during the same time period.

Dick

There is also the twin tail ( PB4Y-1 Liberator) and the single tail version of the PB4Y ( PB4Y-2 Privateer ) . The twin tail version is basically a B-24.

Kurt

Quite correct. thanks.

canadian bacon

that is an outstanding grouping with such an amazing story that goes with it :twothumbup:

• 7 months later...

I was contacted by Matt from Wales who is interested in The Franklin Shipe group since Shipe crashed into a mountain in Wales. Matt was kind enough to send me the crash report. I thought it would be of intereste. I found out another item of interest about the Shipe group. The Air Medal in the group is Army not Navy. That fact became more interesting when I was able to contact Franklin's brother Guy. Guy Shipe served in B-24 Liberators. He was a radioman and top turret gunner while his brother Franklin was a radioman and top turret gunner on a PB4Y-1 Liberator. Guy received five Air Medals. My guess is that the star that Mrs. Shipe received from the Navy was placed on an Air Medal that belonged to Guy. Here is a newspaper article written about Guy Shipe's service in WWII.

Dick

post-9487-1327095051.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi I am dunks103 I have a photo of the crash site of BuNo 38753 Lt John Byrnes PB4Y-1 Liberator. Dick (Kanemono) I like all the letters that you have I would like to ask you something when I am know more people on here.