Opinions needed on a Civil War belt buckle please.

M24 Chaffee

Hello all,

I picked this up today. I hope that it's an original civil war piece. No back story/history was given on this item. Any comments welcome and appreciated. 4 photos to follow.

Thanks and regards,

Frank

post-2899-1306701050.jpg

ron norman
Hello all,

I picked this up today. I hope that it's an original civil war piece. No back story/history was given on this item. Any comments welcome and appreciated. 4 photos to follow.

Thanks and regards,

Frank

Looks OK to me, BUT its almost impossible to tell for sure without handleing it in person. Did you aquire it from a reputable dealer???

Ron Norman

Concur. There have been thousands of very, very, good reproductions made since the Centennial. It 'looks' right for sure but you just cannot tell nowadays.

M24 Chaffee

Thanks Ron and Jason,

I believe I did buy it from an honest dealer. I bought it in person from him. He doesn't live far from me. He did give a guarantee that it could be returned if found to be a repro. I feel that I got a very good deal on it (based on being original). I'm sure that whatever era someone enjoys collecting from, we all get a thrill to hold/own these great pieces of history. It's such a drag to have to be so concerned about the scary quality of the fakes. I do appreciate your help and information.

Ron, I will keep the link that you gave. It looks like a great site.

Would any other photo angles help?. It's probably hard to explain, but if you hand it in hand what would you look for?

Thanks for your time,

Frank

ron norman
Thanks Ron and Jason,

I believe I did buy it from an honest dealer. I bought it in person from him. He doesn't live far from me. He did give a guarantee that it could be returned if found to be a repro. I feel that I got a very good deal on it (based on being original). I'm sure that whatever era someone enjoys collecting from, we all get a thrill to hold/own these great pieces of history. It's such a drag to have to be so concerned about the scary quality of the fakes. I do appreciate your help and information.

Ron, I will keep the link that you gave. It looks like a great site.

Would any other photo angles help?. It's probably hard to explain, but if you hand it in hand what would you look for?

Thanks for your time,

Frank

ron norman

Frank, over the years after seeing and holding these you get a sense and feeling that is right or not. It is not that simple but it works most of the time. I always look for wear and tare, color and other marks that indicate if someone tried to age or put dings etc. on the surface. There is no set rule. Years ago I purchased a small collection and included was a NEW BELT with a CS Buckle on it. Somthing made me feel that it was old and original so I cut it off the Belt and put it aside. A frind of mine was going to a CW show and I asked him to take it and show it to Steve Mulliinax (The Expert on CSA Buckles) and it sold at that show for 1500.00 15 years ago. Turned out to be a fine Richmond Pattern original buckle purchased in a junk shop and put on a new belt by the former owner.

Ron Norman

Concur with Ron. You just get a 'feel' for the real thing, that can't be explained very well. The look, smell, and feel of well worn/used 150 year old brass and lead.

It certainly 'looks' right and based on your dealer, likely as not you have the right thing. The biggest thing to remember is as long as YOU are happy....that's all that matters. :)