Mockba calling!

Sabrejet

The London Base Command / LBC patch I posted yesterday was quite well received so let's move a little further east to another famous city..MOCKBA / Moscow! This patch is that of the American Military Mission to Moscow, established in 1943 to co-ordinate military efforts between the USA and the USSR. As with the LBC patch, the colours are those of the USA. The eagle and shield are derived from the US coat-of-arms and are surmounted my AMEPNKA...AMERICA in cyrillic script.

post-8022-1306688343.jpgpost-8022-1306688355.jpg

Sabrejet

Ian,

Another I've not seen before. I imagine it is a rare patch?

Hello comrade JS! Pretty scarce...yes. Having said that, no doubt ten more members will post theirs!!

Ian :w00t:

I don't have one..... :( On an earlier thread, there were comparisons between the period Patch King version and the original.

-Ski

I don't have one..... :( On an earlier thread, there were comparisons between the period Patch King version and the original.

-Ski

Ski...will you please desist from using that "PK" word!!!

Ian ;)

Ian ;)

I've had several like this, and have been told they were postwar manufactured (I'm not saying the PK word!) :lol: I'd LOVE to see some from a bona-fide wartime group.

Having lived in Moscow in the 90s, I'm rather partial to this patch...would LOVE to get my hands on a group sometime.... :rolleyes:

There are "thick" and "thin" white border versions. No significance other than just a manufacturing variation. At least one is a "PK"product, probably both. Not sure what was actually worn. I once was shown a nice bullion patch that was purported to be a Mission To Moscow patch. Looked nothing like these and I believe was rectangular.

Ian's patch is the scarce "Stevie Wonder" version. (actually, the embroidery machine probably just ran out of blue thread for the eye, along with the upper blue field, and shield borders).

post-322-1306716753.jpg

Ian ;)

Blame Al Maller, not me! So many of these designs were either produced for the Patch King or were bought by him from the manufacturers that it makes it nigh impossible to positively ID many of them as bonified originals. As collectors, we can only hope for items which we can reasonably date to WWII and hope for the best. I know I get into the middle of these debates (and I am sorry if I irritate fellow members in the process) but that is only to "shake the trees" on discussing patches like yours. I am more than happy to have WWII era PK patches in my collection and all you have to do is go on E-Bay to see that they are damn expensive. So, nothing is lost, IMHO, in IDing a patch as a WWII PK patch. I consider them originals in their own right.

In the end, try to verify which ghost unit patches are PK and which are original. Nobody will be able to tell you.

-Ski

mortaydc60
There are "thick" and "thin" white border versions. No significance other than just a manufacturing variation. At least one is a "PK"product, probably both. Not sure what was actually worn. I once was shown a nice bullion patch that was purported to be a Mission To Moscow patch. Looked nothing like these and I believe was rectangular.

Ian's patch is the scarce "Stevie Wonder" version. (actually, the embroidery machine probably just ran out of blue thread for the eye, along with the upper blue field, and shield borders).

post-322-1306716753.jpg

This patch is shown in most if not all patch references; so if you have not seen this patch before you might consider getting a patch reference book and also join a group such as ASMIC for their material. Our friend in England will find this to be readily available from most dealers at shows and for about $25. Kurt mentions a rectangular patch that had originally been ID as the first Mission to Moscow and is extremely rare and very expensive. I have shown this in a previous post early on. The ID is in question but believe it has something to do with Russia and aircraft crash sites. hope this is of some help. Mort

camelgreen44

Heres one of the rectangular ones that I have, also have one a bit different. showing the front and back.

post-334-1306721771.jpg

vintageproductions

I recently had a bullion Mission To Moscow. One of the members here now owns it. Maybe he will post it.....

FriscoHare
The London Base Command / LBC patch I posted yesterday was quite well received so let's move a little further east to another famous city..MOCKBA / Moscow! This patch is that of the American Military Mission to Moscow, established in 1943 to co-ordinate military efforts between the USA and the USSR. As with the LBC patch, the colours are those of the USA. The eagle and shield are derived from the US coat-of-arms and are surmounted my AMEPNKA...AMERICA in cyrillic script.

post-8022-1306688343.jpgpost-8022-1306688355.jpg

Sabrejet

Interesting... I've seen blue-eyed and red-eyed eagles, but SJ's is missing an eye.

Thanks for pointing that out guys. It's now tripled in value overnight!!

$abrejet ;)

Garth Thompson

Here are two Mission to Moscow examples. The top one is for the British Mission the bottom for the American Mission. Note the similar design.

Garth

post-83-1306762364.jpg

Here is a billion example on a officer four pocket:

Wow! "Billion" is about right! That's about as good as it get$$!

Ian :w00t:

Garth Thompson

English made Instructor Pilot wing on the lower cuff of the same four pocket.

post-83-1306763740.jpg

Is the officer ID'd Garth? Must've been a finite number who were actually posted to Moscow.

Ian

Garth Thompson
Is the officer ID'd Garth? Must've been a finite number who were actually posted to Moscow.

Ian

There was a name and an embroidered ribbon bar with a wing but the name has been blotted out and the wing & ribbons removed.

Garth