Jungle Boots of the WW2 era

craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

This is a group I put together several years ago. The original pics are poor quality but I tried to improve them after I got my first digital camera. I have used both sets of pics to get all of the info posted.

post-5-1167932430.jpg

post-5-1167932439.jpg

post-5-1167932449.jpg

craig_pickrall

This set with lug soles is fairly uncommon. Most of these boots you see have the gym shoe sole.

post-5-1167932578.jpg

post-5-1167932585.jpg

post-5-1167932593.jpg

Great post on a (fairly) neglected topic. Very useful and informative, I have been looking for a tropical canvas and leather pair for a while.

• 2 months later...

JUNGLE SHOES or SNEAKERS

DEAD LINK 1/13/15

doinworkinvans

-------------MFG CORP
PO 1876
W19074 QM 4460
OCT 1, 1945

Can't make out the complete manufacturer from the stamp, I've posted what I can above any help would be greatly appreciated thumbsup.gif

Very nice collection. Does anyone have more info as to the actual use of any of the earlier ww2 varieties in the field? Some were used in the Pacific, but it must have been a very small amount. I presume they would not have held up as well as the standard issue combat boot, or perhaps the rubber soles were not supportive enough for marching?

CB

craig_pickrall

The boots were used but in the jungle not landing on coral beaches. You can find several pics of them in use if you look closely.

LIFE Magazine

APR 17, 1944

post-5-1173894521.jpg

post-5-1173894529.jpg

• 8 months later...

It seems to me that I read somewhere, perhaps in the Merrill's Marauders' history, that the troops really loved the canvas jungle boots -- purportedly they they were like walking "on the bosoms of maidens"! (Don't balme me for that line -- I am just quoting from recollection> If I can ever find my copy, I will cite the exact page.)

Thanx Craig.

G

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Here is the Merrell pic
Not cavalry boots and not bouble buckle boots
Check the open tongue and buckle placement.

Are these the jungle boot?
DEAD LINK 1/13/15

doinworkinvans

craig_pickrall

They are not like any Jungle Boot I am aware of. They maybe Brit boots or US lower boondockers with Brit leather cuff like leggings or maybe something that he had done in theater.

I was thinking they may be the 3 buckle variant in this thread

The picture is pretty crappy,but the spacing between the straps and the exposed tongue is similair.

The boots on Merrell apear smooth toe , worth posting i thought.

craig_pickrall

I've always liked that pic but because of the webgear. This is the first time I have paid any attention to the boots. They are interesting but I do not think they are the 3 strap experimental boot I showed earlier in this thread.

Its a pretty cool pic, i agree

ive never found a cleaner copy sadly so the boots may be a mystery forever

its a nice combo of map case,mussette,kukri and jungle 1st aid pouch

somewhere i have a pic of Col Hunter wearing a similiar combination but with jump boots or lace up (31 model) cavalry boots and roled up trousers