Medal Group USS Arizona / USS Oklahoma Pearl Harbor Survivor

KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

I recently acquired these medals on E-Cheap and they tell a story of "luck" and survival if you you want to call it luck.

This veteran was a Signalman on the USS Arizona from 1939 until NOVEMBER 21, 1941 when he was transferred to the USS Oklahoma . The Oklahoma herself was badly damaged during the Pearl Harbor attack and rolled over in the harbor. She suffered the #2 loss of caualties behind the USS Arizona.

If he had not been transferred to the USS Oklahoma, chances are he would have lost his life, but the fact he also survived the attack the USS Oklahoma is also a miracle.

MVC_008L.JPG

MVC_009L.JPG

Very nice Kurt! The Oklahoma has always interested me as a friend of the family was aboard her during the Pearl Harbor attack. He later survived another ship being sunk. Thanks for posting this group!

• 2 weeks later...
KASTAUFFER
Very nice Kurt! The Oklahoma has always interested me as a friend of the family was aboard her during the Pearl Harbor attack. He later survived another ship being sunk. Thanks for posting this group!

I like posting these small groups just to show you dont have to pay $400 for a KIA PH to make an interesting thread.

I have been picking up Pearl Harbor related GCMs lately because they are cheaper to buy than posthumous PH groups and they have significant historical value to me. You also dont have to worry about "fake engraving" with these , but that generally doesnt concern me an I can generally spot the bad PH's anyway.

Kurt

• 1 year later...

I don't know how this group made it by the first time unnoticed! Your point it well made, and worth a look at the small groupings and thrie impact on history.

The story of the USS Oklahoma at Pearl Harbor is a fascinating one. It took the navy 2 years to right the ship and it is an incredible story on how they did it. Sadly after the ship was re-floated it was being sent back to the west coast to be repair and sunk along the way. All but three of the battleships sunk at Pearl were raised, repaired and fought in the war.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...