Vietnam era USMC issue camo cap?

beezman

I thought I was bidding on a Vietnamese made USMC utility cover made of ERDL poplin material. But the cap I received is constructed like an issue OD cap. It is made of camo twill, only the sweatband is made of poplin. It has a washed out spec label. I suspect these were made around 1966, when the ultra-rare ERDL M-1958 utility shirts were tested. Any information about this cover welcome :)

usmcca11.jpg

usmcca12.jpg

usmcca13.jpg

Greg Robinson

Maybe I'm missing something but to me it looks like the ERDL camouflage cotton sateen utility covers which replaced the OD cotton sateen covers in the late 1970's.

Thanks for the suggestion Greg. I thought the late 70s covers were made of brown dominant rip-stop material. Does anybody have a photograph of these covers with a readable label?

Greg Robinson
Thanks for the suggestion Greg. I thought the late 70s covers were made of brown dominant rip-stop material. Does anybody have a photograph of these covers with a readable label?

There was such a utility cover made of ERDL cotton sateen material...not rip stop poplin.

craig_pickrall

I do not think any of the ERDL covers are issue. They were all private purchase. The OD cover was replaced by the Woodland pattern cover when the USMC changed to BDU's.

post-5-1192635531.jpg

post-5-1192635541.jpg

post-5-1192635548.jpg

post-5-1192635557.jpg

post-5-1192635567.jpg

post-5-1192635577.jpg

post-5-1192635588.jpg

post-5-1192635596.jpg

Greg Robinson
I do not think any of the ERDL covers are issue. They were all private purchase. The OD cover was replaced by the Woodland pattern cover when the USMC changed to BDU's.

Craig is probably right about this. I own a USMC cotton sateen utility cover made in OD that is undated but has a NSN number which makes it mid '70's or later. And about thirty years ago I picked up a rip stop ERDL cover just like the one Craig shows in his pics. I still had it until last Summer when the 9 year old grandson said he wanted it. As I recall, it had a white spec label on the inside. It came out of an Army surplus store.

In the mid to late '70's the Marines were wearing ERDL rip stop cammies with the slant pockets if my memory is correct so I wonder why they wouldn't have issued that rip stop ERDL cover

Greg

OK thanks for the info, so my cap is from the immediate post-VN era.

The second cap shown by Craig seems to be the exact model I own. I should have paid more attention to the design; especially the four stitch lines on the bill, which I think appeared only in the 70s.