WWII Typewriter Question

QED4

willysmb44
Serial # is 3585942-11
If that's an underwood 3 like you posted, that would make it made in 1930. Just fine for a WW2 display as many older machines were used during the war!

woodhatcher

hello, can anyone help me.

I just got an Underwood Type writer and i don't know where to look for the serial number.

Here are some pics:

pc083831xj7.jpg

pc083832sy7.jpg

pc083833hm6.jpg

Kind Regards Vince

As my wife keeps reminding me, people that can fix these suckers are dying off, and that I should get the two ones I have all cleaned and fixed up before they all die off.......

As my wife keeps reminding me, people that can fix these suckers are dying off, and that I should get the two ones I have all cleaned and fixed up before they all die off.......
I think it's like working on old cars or steam locomotives. Someone still has the skills and is passing them on to others. I know of a few places that can work on these typewriters, I just never buy one that needs work so it hasn't come up yet.

OK, here's my addition to the thread. It's a U.S. Army marked Corona Standard portable. The hardboard carry case has seen better days and is missing some of the green leatherette covering. The typewriter is finished in olive drab wrinkle finish paint and marked United States Army. There doesn't seem to be any sort of data plate or model number marking, nor can I find a serial number. Any expert opinion or insight would be appreciated.

This one just came from a garage sale within the last 3 weeks, found by a friend of mine. So I've only had it a couple weeks and haven't even blown the dust out yet.

PICT0026.JPG

PICT0030.JPG

PICT0027.JPG

PICT0028.JPG

OK, here's my addition to the thread. It's a U.S. Army marked Corona Standard portable. The hardboard carry case has seen better days and is missing some of the green leatherette covering. The typewriter is finished in olive drab wrinkle finish paint and marked United States Army. There doesn't seem to be any sort of data plate or model number marking, nor can I find a serial number. Any expert opinion or insight would be appreciated.
DAMN nice find! Clearly, you have a WW2 typewriter on your hands!

For the serial #, open the top cover and it should be on the left, on the inside edge of the vertical support next to where the strikers come up when you push the buttons. Just look around that area, it should be there, as my 1942 Corona Standard is marked at that spot.

• 2 years later...