AEF Service Coat, Pvt, Co. B, 3rd Army M.P. Batt.

cwnorma

Another Recent acquisition is this WW1 Military Policeman's uniform of PVT Thomas C., Company B, Third Army M.P. Battalion.

post-594-1192295697.jpg

Chris

Another Recent acquisition is this WW1 Military Policeman's uniform of PVT Thomas C., Company B, Third Army M.P. Battalion.

post-594-1192295697.jpg

Chris

Aloha Chris, Nice Tunic. I've been curious about the type of buttons used on the coat and about the approximate time frame they came into use. Was the use of these types of non-metal buttons a conservation drive by the War Department or just a manufactures niche in the garment industry? Also, I had made some comments about Chuck's unidentified image of the EM's SSI posted in the patch section of this forum that might help in finding out what the insignia my have represented. Mahalo, John

John,

Thanks!

According to "America's Munitions" (Crowell, GPO) Vegetable Ivory buttons actually came about because of complaints by manufacturers that the metal buttons then in use favored a certain kind of manufacturer over others. So after some experimentation, it was found that buttons made from taqua nuts were satisfactory for the Army's purposes. This allowed many different types of manufacturers to get into the button business for the Army. Unfortunately, when uniforms with these buttons were de-loused in France, these vegatable ivory buttons would swell and crack. Causing the SOS in Europe to have to find sources of replacement buttons there.

This particular coat was issued from the Philadelphia Depot and is marked: Spec 1285, July 26 1918.

In my experience, the vegetable ivory buttons are seen most often on tailor made uniforms however, occasionally as in this case, they were used on issued uniforms as well.

Best wishes

Chris

Aloha Chris, Nice Tunic. I've been curious about the type of buttons used on the coat and about the approximate time frame they came into use. Was the use of these types of non-metal buttons a conservation drive by the War Department or just a manufactures niche in the garment industry? Also, I had made some comments about Chuck's unidentified image of the EM's SSI posted in the patch section of this forum that might help in finding out what the insignia my have represented. Mahalo, John