Delta got Bin Laden

blitzkrieg gsd

Brig you aren't taking into account many NG/ Reserve components (save for combat arms in some cases) most do their military job in the civilian world too. Im a civilian cop, and in the Military I was an MP (just ETS'd! Woo!), when I used to be a signal corpsman almost everyone in my Psyops unit worked in the civilian Telecomm sector. In fact our unit was asked for more often to support Active components because of our level of proficiency and professionalism. Ask me about how we made a 1 star general cry one time.

I wouldn't say most, but I would agree a great deal, and I forgot to consider that. I don't see them outside of their military job, so I hadn't considered that

blitzkrieg gsd

Tleo i started the topic just for conversation not for any other reason. And i am takeing the side that Delta was the real shooters and probley ran the whole op. Of course the powers that be will never tell the press the truth if it was the d-boys. I just think that Delta is a combination of the very best operators we have from all branchs of service and that would be the team you would want on a mission to kill or capture the worlds most wanted man. Why would you take a chance on anything on a mission of that level of importance? Now please i am not saying by any means that the Seals could not have pulled the mission off by themselves. I have all the confidence in the world in all of are spec ops guys but i also know who are all star team is and that is Delta.

Tleo i started the topic just for conversation not for any other reason. And i am takeing the side that Delta was the real shooters and probley ran the whole op. Of course the powers that be will never tell the press the truth if it was the d-boys. I just think that Delta is a combination of the very best operators we have from all branchs of service and that would be the team you would want on a mission to kill or capture the worlds most wanted man. Why would you take a chance on anything on a mission of that level of importance? Now please i am not saying by any means that the Seals could not have pulled the mission off by themselves. I have all the confidence in the world in all of are spec ops guys but i also know who are all star team is and that is Delta.

I have to laugh sometimes at the pedastool people put Delta on. While I'm not doubting their abilities (I've seen them in action), I think a lot of the stories going around are just that...stories. They're not supermen, and I think they're not made up of all branches, just Army...

If it wasn't the SEALs, I don't think they would have associated it with a specific SEAL team. Leak or not, it narrows the list down to potential retribution attacks by saying a team number

I think all Spec Ops Teams are good. Some better than others. In fact, I would bet a well trained SWAT Team would have no problem pulling this off as described. Give some kudos to the intel and planners that put it together. It was a good job no matter who pulled the trigger.

blitzkrieg gsd

Jim i agree with you 100% about a Swat team being able to complete this mission as it was. Brig do you not agree that Delta is the best group of tactical operators that we have to offer? It would be hard for me to think you have worked with them and did not see there effectivness. I was under the understanding that Delta was a mix of all the services and the best guys in there feild from those branchs.

Jim i agree with you 100% about a Swat team being able to complete this mission as it was. Brig do you not agree that Delta is the best group of tactical operators that we have to offer? It would be hard for me to think you have worked with them and did not see there effectivness. I was under the understanding that Delta was a mix of all the services and the best guys in there feild from those branchs.

I agree they probably are, but I don't think they're miles above the rest like everybody seems to think. Everyone thinks they're God's gift, and while better, I don't think other spec ops are 100 miles away eating dust

I hope you understand I wasn't trying to pick a fight or argument but I just don't see any reason to doubt that it was SEAL team, especially since they named the team as Brig mentioned. . No reason at all to do that if it was anyone else but them.

If i was the guy planning the mission i would assume he had the best security he could get. And maybe he did his wifes and one dumb rump. My point is i would want my best shooter without exception wouldnt you?

I guess that is why the SEALS did the shooting. Do we really need the conspiracy theorists and pure speculation about who is better and tougher? I really don't understand how you can have such a hard time accepting the fact that the SEALS did the deed. Evidently the SEALS are good enough and tough enough. Not trying to start a frack-us but I definetly feel a tone of inferiority toward the SEALS in your writings. :think:

blitzkrieg gsd

I am sorry guys but i am not trying to put the Seals down by any means i promiss you. What i am trying to say is that Delta is the best of the best rite? So why woulld you not use your best guys on the biggest kill mission in the last 100 years. It would be like going after Hitler if he would have lived and went on the run after ww2. You wouldnt send the FBI even if they could complete the mission you would send the best killers on the planet. I have all the respect in the world for the Seals Force Recon Rangers and all of are specops guys i just think that the Delta guys are the best we have period. It only makes sence to use the best guys we have to go after the most wanted man in the world if not what are the Delta guys for?

Ah, the eternal "Marine" vs "Army" vs "Navy" vs "Air Force" and "Active" vs "Reserve" vs "Guard" debates. Been going on since our country was born and will last till the end of time. I'm glad I'm at the point in my career I don't care anymore. :rolleyes:

Delta guys are for counter-terrorism, raids, and hostage situations primarily...

the bin Laden mission was not a 'kill mission'. No such mission exists. Kill or capture. There's methods behind the madness, let's leave the speculation to the conspiracy theorists...all I care about is that the bastard's dead, not particularly who did it

That is an awesome read, Thanks for posting. Not only was it a SEAL operation but it was backed up by more SEALS in reserve. I noticed your article quoted the President as saying "I had one-hundred-per-cent confidence in you guys. You are, literally, the finest small-fighting force that has ever existed in the world.”

Pretty strong words for the SEALS from the POTUS, I hope this puts to rest this silly discussion about Delta participation. I have a feeling that it won't.

That is an awesome read, Thanks for posting. Not only was it a SEAL operation but it was backed up by more SEALS in reserve. I noticed your article quoted the President as saying "I had one-hundred-per-cent confidence in you guys. You are, literally, the finest small-fighting force that has ever existed in the world.”

Pretty strong words for the SEALS from the POTUS, I hope this puts to rest this silly discussion about Delta participation. I have a feeling that it won't.

I head it was this guy...acting alone

chucknorris00.jpg

Hey Brig: the Marines provided the hearse:

"bin Laden was loaded into the belly of a flip-wing V-22 Osprey, accompanied by a JSOC liaison officer and a security detail of military police. The Osprey flew south, destined for the deck of the U.S.S. Carl Vinson..."

Glad we got in on the action!

With the list of important bad guys decreasing, I wonder who we'll be hunting when I get there in a few months

• 1 month later...
Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Brig said it already,

This was not a terribly complicated raid. As in any mission, something goes wrong and they left some hardware behind. A Ranger Unit at minimum could have pulled this off. Regular Airborne Infantry or Infantry don't specialize in this type of raid.

Any SEAL, SF, Pararescue or USMC Force Recon unit could have been substitured into this mession and come out with the same results. As far as Delta, they are among the best close quarters and covert operators. Each unit in SOCOM has a unique mission capability and mission assignment. Their inherent cross training causes an overlap in mission capability but it's good that each service has their own operators. The Air Force Para's have a unique mission that is generally specialized to their service. The SEALS are targeted toward naval operations and the Army to land based operations. Force Recon has the mission requirement for both land and naval operations.

You'd send SEALS or Marine Recon to take down Somali Pirates.

If a specialized aircraft goes down behind enemy lines, you'd send Pararescue.

Hostages on a civilian airplane would require Delta.

It should go without saying that Delta and DEVGRU are fairly interchangeable compared to other services Special Operator units. It should be OPSEC with regard to who is with, and operates with Delta and DEVGRU and where they go and what they do. The fact that the Bin Laden raid information was released seems very odd to me. It's either a leak or disinformation. The job gets done and the enemy should be left guessing as to who did it.

Rock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

DEVGRU did this one. DELTA or Special Forces Operational Detachment DELTA got distracted chasing shiny things in Iraq and lost interest in Afghanistan. SEALs from all of the TEAMS 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,10, SDV TEAM 1 and DEVGRU have been operating at a high operational tempo in both areas with most forces in Aghanistan. So because they have more experience they did the op. End of story.

• 6 months later...
It doesn't really matter who popped him as whoever it was, wears an American flag on their uniform.

Best comment of them all

Lets clarify a few things, no matter the talking heads on TV say there is no SEAL team 6, there hasn't been since 1987.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States...velopment_Group

"Delta Force" or SFOD-1 or CAG or ACE (they change names a lot) all the same entity, are made up of US Army personnel who submitted a packet for approval and were accepted to the unit. Even support personnel. They of course must be qualified and are usually current soldiers on ODA's.

They notion that any one Special Operations unit is "the Best" is a fantasy. All are trained for specific type missions in specific areas of the world.

(Although I do tend to favor US Army as it's my former branch :thumbsup: )

Brig said it already,

This was not a terribly complicated raid. As in any mission, something goes wrong and they left some hardware behind. A Ranger Unit at minimum could have pulled this off. Regular Airborne Infantry or Infantry don't specialize in this type of raid.

Any SEAL, SF, Pararescue or USMC Force Recon unit could have been substitured into this mession and come out with the same results. As far as Delta, they are among the best close quarters and covert operators. Each unit in SOCOM has a unique mission capability and mission assignment. Their inherent cross training causes an overlap in mission capability but it's good that each service has their own operators. The Air Force Para's have a unique mission that is generally specialized to their service. The SEALS are targeted toward naval operations and the Army to land based operations. Force Recon has the mission requirement for both land and naval operations.

You'd send SEALS or Marine Recon to take down Somali Pirates.

If a specialized aircraft goes down behind enemy lines, you'd send Pararescue.

Hostages on a civilian airplane would require Delta.

It should go without saying that Delta and DEVGRU are fairly interchangeable compared to other services Special Operator units. It should be OPSEC with regard to who is with, and operates with Delta and DEVGRU and where they go and what they do. The fact that the Bin Laden raid information was released seems very odd to me. It's either a leak or disinformation. The job gets done and the enemy should be left guessing as to who did it.

Rock

THIS! Had I seen this before I posted I just would have quoted this.