Iwo Jima 6th Tank Battalion Flame Tank

usmcski

Greetings All,

Finally figured out the macro settings on my wife's camera, so I'm giving this another shot. Long story short, after a ten year hiatus from model building, I built an M4A3 flame tank based on 6th Tank Bn on Iwo Jima. There was no "D Company" (hence, no "Daisy"), but rather than get caught up in trying to perfectly duplicate a known tank, I built this one as an example to the modifications typical of 6th TB. Comments/criticism welcomed, enjoy!

Semper,

Ski

post-1867-1305428244.jpg

Ski

Great looking Sherman!!! :twothumbup:

thanks for all the info on the modificationsthe Bns usedon thetanks.About a year ago was ableto ID a niform Ihad boght as a kid.The name traced out to a 5th Tank Bn Marine who served and waswounded on Iwo.

RD

Ski

Great looking Sherman!!! :twothumbup:

thanks for all the info on the modificationsthe Bns usedon thetanks.About a year ago was ableto ID a niform Ihad boght as a kid.The name traced out to a 5th Tank Bn Marine who served and waswounded on Iwo.

RD

Appreciate the kind words, RD! I have a 5th TB Sherman in the works right now, I'm hoping to eventually display them both in a diorama. 5th also had M4A3s, but used mesh armor over the hatches vice the nails that 6th TB welded on the commander's and gunner's hatches. They also poured concrete in the 3" between the tank hull and wooden armor. Pain in the @$$ to model, but pretty ingenious!

Semper!

Ski

Appreciate the kind words, RD! I have a 5th TB Sherman in the works right now, I'm hoping to eventually display them both in a diorama. 5th also had M4A3s, but used mesh armor over the hatches vice the nails that 6th TB welded on the commander's and gunner's hatches. They also poured concrete in the 3" between the tank hull and wooden armor. Pain in the @$$ to model, but pretty ingenious!

Semper!

Ski

I think you nailed it!!!

Those hatch details are awesome and I never knew they did that.

Awesome. I love the detail. What scale is this and did you make the decals or hand paint?

Great work.

Proud Kraut

Stunning model, wonderfull pictures! Daisy has a great Camo pattern (and you were away from modeling for 10 years or did I missunderstood something???) and a very well made dusty soiling!

A few questions: Could you please tell me how you did the dark abrasion on the tanks paint and how the turrets front with the tarp was made?

Once again; a superb model, congratulations!

Lars

Thanks again for the kind words, all. "Daisy" is 1/35th scale, and all markings are dry transfers. The model is actually named after one of my dogs ("Duke" is next!), using model railroad dry transfers. The remainder of the markings are from Archer Fine Transfers "Iwo Jima Shermans". The mantlet cover (gun tarp) is a resin piece from Tank Workshop.

As far as painting goes, for paint chips on the turret and throughout the model, I used a 50/50 mix of Model Masters Aircraft Interior Black and Military Brown, followed up by some light streaking of Burnt Sienna oil-based paint, heavily thinned. Any chipping of paint on the real tank would not stay bare metal for long, but would rust quickly to an orange, then brown, then nearly black.

Yep, Lars, you read correctly. My first model in 10 years.....happy you like it!

Semper,

Ski

Corpsmancollector

Awesome work, Ski! I love the little details, you've done a great job.

I wish my model skills were half that of yours, it takes a lot of time and patience to craft such detailed dioramas as you've shown us!

Will