The most poignant scene.

patches

Hard to pick but here are a few I like

1951 The Steel Helmet scene where the veteran US Army NCO is struck in the head by a Red Chinese bullet on a snowy Korean mountain.. He says to the officer

"WE GOT TO GET OFF THE BEACH... THE KRAUTS WILL MURDER US IF WE STAY DOWN HERE!

1954 The scene in Bridges of Toki Ri where you see the downed Helicopter, Panther Jet and dead naval crewman all laying together. Then Lt Brubraker and Mickey Rooney silently staring at each other in the muddy trench.

1946 The Best Years of our Life scene where Dana Andrews is sitting in the ready for scrap B 17.. He looks at each wing were a powerful engine once sat and is now gone.. Then you hear sounds of air combat

1963 COMBAT a wounded Sgt Saunders is asked what's your unit and he says 21 Grant Street

HoovieDude
A lot of people get choked up over the raw emotional scenes in war movies, and wrapped up in the "grown men crying" bit and all, and all of that has an equal share in emotions that movies like this bring out, but to me, the numbness of soul that combat troops had to develop and endure says a lot more about the real sacrifice of war. I think anyone who has served under fire can relate to that part just a little bit more than the dramatic emotional scenes, at least during the war.

This. And although I despise the movie in general and think it should be called the Turd Locker rather than the Hurt Locker, one of the most realistic and poignant scenes I have witnessed in Hollywood depictions is towards the end when the main character is standing in the aisle of the local supermarket absolutely lost with the absurd amount of simple choices after living on the edge of reality for a year hit me hard. I've been there done that in my own similar fashion, and I am sure those who've got the t-shirt have too in their own ways. In so many ways, being in the mix is life at its simplest...survive to the best of your ability in the now. And sometimes, that includes even turning off for awhile, the emotions and thoughts you have for the family, for the wife, and kids, back home. Sounds cold, but I would wager there are some reading this as well who understand or could describe it better.

bratwurstdimsum
This. And although I despise the movie in general and think it should be called the Turd Locker rather than the Hurt Locker, one of the most realistic and poignant scenes I have witnessed in Hollywood depictions is towards the end when the main character is standing in the aisle of the local supermarket absolutely lost with the absurd amount of simple choices after living on the edge of reality for a year hit me hard. I've been there done that in my own similar fashion, and I am sure those who've got the t-shirt have too in their own ways. In so many ways, being in the mix is life at its simplest...survive to the best of your ability in the now. And sometimes, that includes even turning off for awhile, the emotions and thoughts you have for the family, for the wife, and kids, back home. Sounds cold, but I would wager there are some reading this as well who understand or could describe it better.

Ok at the risk of being off topic, I remember watching Hurt Locker with most of my unit, all of us hunched around a Laptop in a tent in the evening and we absolutely loved it (as soldiers)...why do people (I'm hoping only some) think its a crock?

HoovieDude
Ok at the risk of being off topic, I remember watching Hurt Locker with most of my unit, all of us hunched around a Laptop in a tent in the evening and we absolutely loved it (as soldiers)...why do people (I'm hoping only some) think its a crock?

What unit, and Army if I may ask? As a retired Soldier, and Senior NCO of the U.S. Army, I can tell you 90% of the way things in general were shown and portrayed in that movie are pure BS. And if they did by chance happen in real life, there would be plenty of relieved of position and authority ex-leaders for starters, with more than likely, more dead troopers to send home. I know there are some serving who like it, but the majority I know who've been there give it nothing but derision and ridicule. From the loud, drunken party in theater,( GO#1, states no alcohol. Period. Not naieve enough to think it doesn't find its way into the hands of troops there. Quite the opposite in fact, and I know from personal experience. But, you won't find it being blatantly advertised like the movie, and there is hell to pay when it is sniffed out), to the junior NCO punching the Sr NCO, Privates calling their NCO's by first name, a whole Infantry squad hunkered down in a house, with their vehicle and all its weapons and sensitive items just sitting there pretty as you please in the road unattended, a 3 man EOD team with Delta like skills, running around out the wire by them selves, clearing whole buildings, the whole PMC scene was a doozy, and my most favorite part, when ol hero takes it upon himself to sneak out the wire into downtown B-dad in "cognito", infiltrate what he thinks is a cell, and then just wander back into the wire like he was back CONUS coming in the front gate after eating dinner downtown at the local Olive Garden. Those are just a couple of the things that I recall. :lol:

bratwurstdimsum
What unit, and Army if I may ask? As a retired Soldier, and Senior NCO of the U.S. Army,

Ha ha okay I'm rear line medic - army reserve: Australian army - yes I know I barely qualify, which is why I asked what scenes real soldiers found offensive. At the time we watched it there were some realism gripes but we attributed this to "American army-isms". I agree with you now in retrospect but I think the mOvie portrayed the hero as enough of a rougue maverick to almost excuse the crazyness in the movie.

The moment in GI JANE when Lt O'Neil (Demi Moore) realizes that she had been sold out and was never expected to complete SEAL training...

post-3976-1307102430.jpg

coberry731

In "We Were Soldiers" when Greg Kinnear looks at Mel Gibson in the LZ, and just has a look of stunned disbelief at Gibson's calm in a chaotic situation, and the situation in general.

And in the same movie, when Greg Kinnear leads the flight of helicopters into the LZ, and they begin their hellish descent into heavy ground fire.

And BRATWURSTDIMSUM, being a medic in the Australian reserves counts as much as anything else. Don't ever let anyone ever take that away from you. Your opinion counts.

coberry731

And another from "We Were Soldiers"...

When the relief platoon locates the remnants of the lost platoon. and the hand of one survivor extends from the ground clutter.

My God, the hell that battallion endured.

And another from "We Were Soldiers"...

Also when the two wounded, decorated Cav troopers pushing a wheelchair enter the US airport and no one notices or even holds the door.. I wanted to puke

HoovieDude
Ha ha okay I'm rear line medic - army reserve: Australian army - yes I know I barely qualify, which is why I asked what scenes real soldiers found offensive. At the time we watched it there were some realism gripes but we attributed this to "American army-isms". I agree with you now in retrospect but I think the mOvie portrayed the hero as enough of a rougue maverick to almost excuse the crazyness in the movie.

Ahh, good on ya then. I honestly thought you were going to say "my airsoft unit". :pinch: :lol:

Medic Wade's death in Saving Private Ryan. That scene usually shuts me up (I'm impossible to watch a movie with)

Also in We Were Soldiers at the very end when Beck is pushing Adam's in the wheelchair in what looks like an airport and has tears in his eyes.

Medic Wade's death in Saving Private Ryan. That scene usually shuts me up (I'm impossible to watch a movie with)

Also in We Were Soldiers at the very end when Beck is pushing Adam's in the wheelchair in what looks like an airport and has tears in his eyes.

Also, if I could add another from Saving Private Ryan.

At the end when Tom Hanks (Miller) is in another battle fatigue'd state. When paratrooper "Trask" is seen in hand to hand combat with a number of German's then is beat to death: 4:39 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mde0RMGMN4

FULL METAL JACKET the scene when Gomer Pyle goes crazy and shoots Gunnery Sgt Hartman with his M14

it was so sad seeing a man like him getting blown away, I wished he lived and went to Vietnam with his men :(

he said "what is you major malfunction Pvt Pyle? didnt mommy & daddy show you enough attention whe you were a child?" then Gomer Pyle has a crazy grin on his face and pulls the trigger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Xek7IQhlw

FULL METAL JACKET- The scene is which the squad has just cleared the way up to the row of buildings where "DOC J & 8-BALL" were killed and are taking fire from the female sniper in the black building to the front.

SCENE- Joker, Animal Mother, RafterMan, and the RTO are "hunkered down" beside the ruins when COWBOY while trying to get fire support is shot by the sniper while talking on the PRC-77, falling to the ground. The guys pick him up and rush around to the REAR of the building and are working on him frantically trying to save his life when he dies in JOKER'S arms saying "I CAN HACK, I CAN HACK" time after time... :crying: :crying:

Being a former Army grunt and in the EXACT SAME position once...

Adam

fortworthgal

I'm a chick and although I rarely cry at non-animal movies, I will begrudgingly admit that I once cried during Moulin Rouge. Totally an isolated incident.

Military movies - the ending of Since You Went Away, when Claudette Colbert is notified that her MIA husband is only wounded and is coming home.

From "She wore a yellow ribbon" :

When Sgt Tyree, former Confederate officer put the small handmade Confederate flag on the coffin of Pvt John Smith killed in action who was BG Rome Clay, CSA.

It’s hard to even type this, but those scenes from “We were soldiers” where the wives are being notified that their husbands are KIAs. The looks and reactions they have. I can’t even watch that part of the movie anymore. It’s one of the few things that Hollywood gets right, the apparent cliché of someone showing up with the chaplain and the look on the wife’s face.

I did that more than once when I was active duty. The names of the fallen and their families all are burned into my brain, probably for the rest of my life. I just can’t watch scenes like that anymore in a film.

The scene early in "Saving Private Ryan" when the staff car is driving the long road to the mothers house to inform her of her sons deaths. The long drive part of the scene may have been for movie effect, but the actual informing part on the porch at the front door reminds me of my experience doing that duty. It was June 1989- I had the Chaplain with me , the mother collapsed at the front door on her porch. A year later I informed a 19 year old of her husbands death. That one was associated with the fire on the USS Midway (CV-41) in June 1990. Both of those were in peacetime and even before the first war in the Gulf region, but death of a loved one still hits hard and making the notification and working with the families carries its own stress.

Another movie I would like to add that has a few scenes is A Bridge Too Far -

When the British paratrooper is shot in the back trying retrieve a drop container full of berets.

When the Dutch underground father picks up his dead son during the street fighting in Arnhem.

At the end of the movie when the wounded and dying British paratroopers sing "Abide With Me".

Rob

:thumbsup:

bratwurstdimsum

Ok, just shying away from the WWS&SPR fest for now, if you can believe it, I nearly shed a tear for the German Sgt. Wilhelm at the end of the bar scene in Inglourious Basterds when he survives the shoot out - only to be shot by Von Hammersmark in the end - all the friendly chatter and character development that the 20 minute scene built up made us relate to the Germans like any group of friends celebrating the birth of his son. It saddened me to see them all gunned down with the cute barmaid in the unrelated shootout with the Gestapo major and the Brits.