The most poignant scene.

patches

There are relatively few movie's out there that have trully powerfull and moving scene's. But two scene's from two different movies come to mind that for me are very moving and poignant and bring's a tear to eye and a lump to my throat . Tell me your's and i'll tell you mine.

What brings a tear to my eye? The ending credits to The Pacific brought tears to my eyes, along with the ending of Letters From Iwo Jima, When General Kuribayash commits suicide.

Rakkasan187

"Gardens of Stone"..., just prior to the funeral when Jackie Willow's former Platoon Sergeant takes the Combat Infantryman's Badge off of his own dress blues and places it on Jackie's casket. Earlier in the movie, Jackie had said that all he wanted in life was a Combat Infantryman's Badge. Jackie's dad had earned his in Korea. Jack Willow was killed in Action in Vietnam, just a few days prior to returning home to the states..

Leigh...

GetSome!!!

SPR

Old James Ryan: Tell me I have led a good life.

Ryan's Wife: What?

Old James Ryan: Tell me I'm a good man.

Ryan's Wife: You *are*.

"Gods and Generals"... after the battle of Fredricksburg, when the Confederate Irish soldiers had finished savaging the ranks of the Union Irish soldiers...

"Gettysburg"... the aftermath of Pickett's Charge...

In Band of Brothers at the end when the real Dick Winters tells the story about his grandson asking him if he was a hero. "No, but I served in a company of them." Gulp!

In Band of Brothers at the end when the real Dick Winters tells the story about his grandson asking him if he was a hero. "No, but I served in a company of them." Gulp!

This does it to me everytime as well! Just reading your comment made me tear-up a little... It's a good thing there isn't a BOB channel. I'd be blooking everyday!

willysmb44

• Those scenes in "We were soldiers" where the wives are told their husbands were dead? For those of you who've never had the horror of being given that duty, I assure you that those scenes were dead on. They really do stand there and either shake their head or NO, or just freak out totally. It's one of the few times Hollywood usually gets it right. I had to do it more than once and I usually fast forward past those aprts on the DVD for this reason. Sticks a lump in my throat and gives me bad dreams every time.
  • Even though I hated, "The Hurt Locker," that scene where he's in the grocery store and cannot understand why that would be so important to anyone after what he's been through. I never went into combat but I had a few bad things happen and had that feeling for a very long time afterward. Kind of like the line from the Untochables movie, where Costner says, "In some part of the world, someone still cares what color the kitchen is..."
  • How about in SPR where the first Ryan is told his brothers are dead, and he just freaking loses it? Don't you wanna just jump through the sceen and pull him out of that mess?

The thin red line - the dead of Pvt. Witt. The ending scene of Bernhard Wicki´s "Die Brücke" from 1959. It says all about the waste of a good generation in WWII.

Those are all great scenes, but for me there are about 5 or 6 scenes in the same movie: "Taking Chance". I wanted to stop the movie a couple of times just to catch my breath. From the prep of the body by the ME to the airport scene to the caravan led by the truck, the two flags. Then there was the scene when the Lt. Col. Strobl hands the crucifix he was given to the boys mother saying a stewardess gave it to him and he thought it was meant for him but now he knows it was meant for her. Would I watch this movie again...yes. Could I? Not sure.

Fixbayonets!

I vote for this as well, a very moving way to end to the series.

Rob

shrapneldude

For me, the scene in "The Pacific" where Sledge is sitting in the bunker, and he hears a splashing sound, and looks up to see 'Snafu' playfully throwing rocks into the blown-open skull of a dead Japanese machine gunner. Not so much because of the gore, or the dark humor of it, but because it shows the mental and emotional numbness those Marines must have developed after such intense combat.

To stop and think that our grandparents who fought in World War II were capable of such heartlessness, moreover, it became a necessity for them to defeat the Japanese in the Pacific, it's just kind of moving to me that almost an entire generation of young Americans were willing not just to give up their lives and limbs, but a large part of their emotional spirits to crush the enemy and in doing so, hopefully make the world a better place for us to inherit. While it wasn't a sacrifice they probably gave much thought to when they enlisted, they certainly dealt with it for decades after -- many people probably have had similar experiences with older veteran relatives -- they were "there" but never quite as happy or as emotive as they might have been at holidays, birthday parties, etc. had they not been in a situation years before that caused them to have to shut down certain parts of their minds in order to survive in combat.

A lot of people get choked up over the raw emotional scenes in war movies, and wrapped up in the "grown men crying" bit and all, and all of that has an equal share in emotions that movies like this bring out, but to me, the numbness of soul that combat troops had to develop and endure says a lot more about the real sacrifice of war. I think anyone who has served under fire can relate to that part just a little bit more than the dramatic emotional scenes, at least during the war.

Those are all great scenes, but for me there are about 5 or 6 scenes in the same movie: "Taking Chance". I wanted to stop the movie a couple of times just to catch my breath. From the prep of the body by the ME to the airport scene to the caravan led by the truck, the two flags. Then there was the scene when the Lt. Col. Strobl hands the crucifix he was given to the boys mother saying a stewardess gave it to him and he thought it was meant for him but now he knows it was meant for her. Would I watch this movie again...yes. Could I? Not sure.

I wholeheartedly agree. If you've never seen this movie then by all means rent it. One of the most moving films I have ever seen.

Bryan

Sgt. Boghots

Great topic.

"The Best Years of Our Lives" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036868/

More scenes than I can count that pound on my emotional triggers. Some of them happy, some of them sad.

I don't know if this still holds true, but some years ago "The Book of Lists" ranked it among the ten best movies of all time.

No battle scenes, all about coming home. Very well done.

Give it a try.

Best regards,

Paul

willysmb44

How about the opening of "Twelve O Clock High?" When he's walking out into the remains of the now-closed Archbury Field and can hear a B-17 starting up...

Fixbayonets!

Another movie I would like to add that has a few scenes is A Bridge Too Far -

When the British paratrooper is shot in the back trying retrieve a drop container full of berets.

When the Dutch underground father picks up his dead son during the street fighting in Arnhem.

At the end of the movie when the wounded and dying British paratroopers sing "Abide With Me".

Rob

Sgt. Boghots
How about the opening of "Twelve O Clock High?" When he's walking out into the remains of the now-closed Archbury Field and can hear a B-17 starting up...

No doubt !! - Another one of my all time favorite scenes :thumbsup:

Paul

Classic! I thought about that a lot of times as I was scouting out historic sites when I was stationed in Europe. Can you imagine surviving something as horrific and chaotic as World War II, and then going back where it all happened ...one last time!

• Those scenes in "We were soldiers" where the wives are told their husbands were dead? For those of you who've never had the horror of being given that duty, I assure you that those scenes were dead on. They really do stand there and either shake their head or NO, or just freak out totally. It's one of the few times Hollywood usually gets it right. I had to do it more than once and I usually fast forward past those aprts on the DVD for this reason. Sticks a lump in my throat and gives me bad dreams every time.

A less than funny story about that... when I went to see "We Were Soldiers" (after having read the book), there were a group of foreign exchange student sitting behind me. I have no idea what their command of English was, and I think they were just there for the combat scenes. During the slow parts they tended to start talking among themselves.

When one of the wives was being informed that her husband had been lost, a couple of them were sharing a joke and were laughing. I'm quite sure they were not laughing at the scene in the movie, but I about lost it. I realized that whatever I would have said to them would have been lost on them, and probably would have been more disruptive to those sitting around me. So I just sat there and steamed...they settled down after a bit, but I had trouble concentrating on the rest of the film.

SPR

Old James Ryan: Tell me I have led a good life.

Ryan's Wife: What?

Old James Ryan: Tell me I'm a good man.

Ryan's Wife: You *are*.

I make it through this but when he salutes Millers grave gets me.

Ray

jerseygary

There is a scene in "The Lost Battalion" where a young artillery officer has his guns blasting away in support of the lost battalion and then gets a telephone call telling him to cease fire, his battery is shelling his own men. He gives the order to cease and kind of half collapses, half sits down, realising that he probably has killed a score of his fellow Americans. For some reason that little part gets to me.

Of course my favorite movie, "The Sand Pebbles" has the part where Holman is forced to shoot Pohan to save him the torture of the death from 1000 cuts...

The Meatcan

The one that always gets me is towards the end of "Shenandoah" with Jimmy Stewart when he and what's left of his family enter the church. Major lump in the throat every time.

Terry