.............Helen left her WINGS

Jack's Son

Jack's Son

Hi Kat.

post-8213-1305494051.jpg

Betty Stagg Turner, 44-W-9.

post-8213-1305494109.jpg

Her book is entitled: "Out of the Blue and Into History".

Her book is entitled: "Out of the Blue and Into History".

Thanks so much! I don't have this book. Now another WASP book that I need to buy! :thumbsup:

JS...

Awesome grouping! This would be my Holy Grail of collecting! But alas....I have champagne tastes and a beer wallet.... :lol:

....Kat

And unfortunately, most WASP wings we find are mere sparkling wine, and not real Champagne...

fortworthgal

Very cool collection!!!

Just curious - in one of the first photos, the patch that is shown lower left, the white background with the wasp and the "W.A.S.P." lettering - was that in her original collection?

I ask because that patch is often mistaken (and even wrongly identified in several reference books) as being for the Women's Airforce Service Pilots, when in reality it was for another very small and lesser-known civilian organization, I believe some type of drivers. A very short-lived group during the war. My guess is that she ran across the patch somewhere, saw it said WASP and thought it was cool and bought it, or someone sent/gave it to her.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I am just asking out of my own curiosity. I don't like seeing women's items wrongly identified and if someone sees that patch in an actual WASP grouping it'll become gospel.

I ask because that patch is often mistaken (and even wrongly identified in several reference books) as being for the Women's Airforce Service Pilots, when in reality it was for another very small and lesser-known civilian organization, I believe some type of drivers. A very short-lived group during the war. My guess is that she ran across the patch somewhere, saw it said WASP and thought it was cool and bought it, or someone sent/gave it to her.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I am just asking out of my own curiosity. I don't like seeing women's items wrongly identified and if someone sees that patch in an actual WASP grouping it'll become gospel.

I posted in JS's thread in the SSI section that I have been trying to see if the "Women's Ambulance Safety Patrol" actually existed. I can find nothing at all on the internet about this group. Everything I have found regarding women ambulance drivers states they were part of the "American Women's Voluntary Services".

As stated by someone else in the other thread, I too don't see the resemblance between the patch in the picture and the patch that JS has in his grouping. The picture in the book is just too small and too dark. It also states "their patch is a different configuration". If the one in the picture is not the same as the one in JS's grouping, then where is the proof that this patch was used by the Women's Ambulance Safety Patrol.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I would like more proof that it truly is from an Ambulance Safety Patrol. :think:

....Kat

canadian bacon

this group is just way way too cool i love stuff like this because not too many people seem too appreciate the value both monitary and historicaly of items like theese

• 10 months later...

JS,

Last week I ordered a great book titled "WASP In Their Own Words" by Nancy Allyson Parrish. Along with some great quotes from various WASP, there are pictures of every WASP who served. Here is a picture of your Helen.

...Kat

P1010031.JPG

I posted in JS's thread in the SSI section that I have been trying to see if the "Women's Ambulance Safety Patrol" actually existed. I can find nothing at all on the internet about this group. Everything I have found regarding women ambulance drivers states they were part of the "American Women's Voluntary Services".

As stated by someone else in the other thread, I too don't see the resemblance between the patch in the picture and the patch that JS has in his grouping. The picture in the book is just too small and too dark. It also states "their patch is a different configuration". If the one in the picture is not the same as the one in JS's grouping, then where is the proof that this patch was used by the Women's Ambulance Safety Patrol.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I would like more proof that it truly is from an Ambulance Safety Patrol. :think:

....Kat

An article is being prepared for a future ASMIC Trading Post to correctly identify the small, round W.A.S.P. patch. It does have to do with an ambulance service, and nothing to do with the lady pilots. I am not the author of the article - just an interested observer at this point. I'm not trying to tease anyone. Just adding a little more ammo to discredit the patch as belonging to the WASP's.

Patch Johnson