NEVER BEFORE SEEN VARIATION - USMC collar disc's

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

Well the title sure got your attention ;) I have heard of this practice, however, had never seen one before. We have several elements in the picture that are unique in nature.

1) USMC buttons used as collar disc's... how many times have we actually seen this... anyone else w/ photo they would like to share w/ us?

Copy_of_Copy_of_Copy_of___KGrHqIOKj_E25kk6dgLBNy_JuYk_g___3.jpg

2) That's the Third Army patch. When the 2nd Div Marine Brigade was in the German occupation they were part of the unit. Not commonly worn but there it is! (Thx Bob!) Note the variation between the two patches... Different materials / maker...?

Copy_of_Copy_of___KGrHqIOKj_E25kk6dgLBNy_JuYk_g___3.jpg

3) EGA's - it that a Officer collar emblem? Pic's I've seen show the troops wearing the Barracks cover emblem. Certainly could not be the first generation enlisted collar emblem - otherwise they would be wearing them on their collars.

Copy__2__of___KGrHqIOKj_E25kk6dgLBNy_JuYk_g___3.jpg

4) EGA's - as above, field made maybe? Too small to be a cover emblem...

__KGrHqIOKj_E25kk6dgLBNy_JuYk_g___3.jpg

Quite an interesting photo, many variations going on. I do not intend on bidding for those who would, it is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Copy_of___KGrHqIOKj_E25kk6dgLBNy_JuYk_g___3.jpg

usmcaviator

I have a couple similar photos, buttons as collar discs. ...thought I started a thread on this years ago. Maybe it was on the WAF. I would hazard to say that this was a practice after the authorization of discs for the USMC late in 1918 by the overzealous, until Marines got there hands on the EGA discs.

S/F,

Mike

Here's another Occupation Duty Marine wearing Army uniform with what appears to be USMC buttons and a Third Army patch. Nothing in his collar. If it weren't for the Emblem on his O/S cap he would be mistaken for a doughboy! Re: the photo you posted, those emblems on the caps sure are interesting!!!!!! French made? The USMC buttons in the collar is something I had heard about and agree with Mike's remarks. S/F......Bob

Breckenridge_84_6_AEF_1.JPG

I know that for the first few months (or longer) of 1919, my grandfather was temporarily seconded to Third Army. I think many Marines were sent to Army HQ for temporary duty during this time, then returned as he did to the Marine Brigade. I'd assume they wore 3d Army SSI when there?

usmcaviator

I have a couple photos of Marines wearing buttons for collar discs. This is the only one I could find searching quickly. Marine was a member of the 5th Brigade.

S/F,

Mike

post-1-1305313492.jpgpost-1-1305313507.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
Almost looks like they took a pair of officer collar devices and each got one. Dave

I'm sorta inclined to think the same. Tried to get the best from the ebay picture, nonetheless, the outline of the eagles and the curve of the anchor around the globe are unmistakably identical.

Thanks for the additional pic's folks! s/f D.

usmcaviator
Are they officer quality buttons? Look large and domed.

No, not officer, but do look to be the larger overcoat buttons.

S/F,

Mike

jeremiahcable

I picked up that picture lot. If anyone would like scans of those images let me know and I'll see what I can do when the pictures arrive.

teufelhunde.ret
I picked up that picture lot. If anyone would like scans of those images let me know and I'll see what I can do when the pictures arrive.

Congrat's J...! For me, the mystery is the EGA's on the oversea's covers, what type are they? s/f D.