Help With Early Collins Machete

tigerfan

I am familiar with collins machetes but have never seen this one and I can't find any reference for it. It has an 18" heavy blade with a bit of a clipped point. There is a weak strike with the collins logo and wording and No.37. If this had no markings at all I would have put it close to the civil war era by the way it is made and the types of materials it is made from. Has anyone come across this one or know anything about this brass handle model? Thanks !

post-2609-1304791019.jpg

gunbarrel

Tigerfan,

That is one neat machete you've got there! Charlie Flick and I discussed it. It is not listed on the "Collins Bible" (D.E. Henry's book). We are fairly certain that it is not U.S. Government Issue, though. We can also tell that it's from the 1890's, or earlier because of what is called the "LOGO-ENGLISH" marking. The handle and sheath appear to be a custom job, but we can't say if it's factory, or after factory. I would not think it was sent to Central America, because that brass handle would get hotter than blazes in the tropical sun. Wish we could be of more help; maybe Frank Trzaska knows about it.

PS At times like this we miss Carter Rila even more! :(

RustyCanteen
I would not think it was sent to Central America, because that brass handle would get hotter than blazes in the tropical sun.

PS At times like this we miss Carter Rila even more! :(

Let's not forget there were brass handled bayonets used by a few south american countries in the 1890s-1900s.

Thats true.

gunbarrel
Let's not forget there were brass handled bayonets used by a few south american countries in the 1890s-1900s.

Thats true.

That's why I said Central America; not South America. ;)

RustyCanteen
That's why I said Central America; not South America. ;)

Well said. :thumbsup:

I would not be surprised if this turned out to have come straight from the factory in its present design. As I understand from my reading Collins & CO. was quite amendable to making one-off machetes for customers. They were quite accommodating and would essentially make special order items with very elaborately decorated handles and pommels that were popular in Central and South America.

Tim

gunbarrel
I would not be surprised if this turned out to have come straight from the factory in its present design. As I understand from my reading Collins & CO. was quite amendable to making one-off machetes for customers. They were quite accommodating and would essentially make special order items with very elaborately decorated handles and pommels that were popular in Central and South America.

Tim,

I would not be surprised either. Then again, I would not be surprised if it wasn't. Fact is that D.E. Henry doesn't show a handle, or a sheath like this, on his book...which may, or may not mean anything. Fact is also that it's not GI, which is what we discuss on this Forum.

Tony-in-NH
Tim,

I would not be surprised either. Then again, I would not be surprised if it wasn't. Fact is that D.E. Henry doesn't show a handle, or a sheath like this, on his book...which may, or may not mean anything. Fact is also that it's not GI, which is what we discuss on this Forum.

I have sent a link to my friend Jan Fish, who is a Collins expert and collector. We will see what her take on this one is.

Back of the top brass sheath fitting.

A little info: I just aquired this from an auction of an old museum outside Rochester NY. This had been in undisplayed storage for many decades with several civil war items.

post-2609-1304942842.jpg

Tony-in-NH

My collector friend Jan has sent me the following take on the machete.

See pages64-65 in Henry's book

"after the dies wore out, say around 1877,the whole marking (comment by JSF: including model number) was combined into a single roll die and roll marking machines can into use. This "LOGO-ENGLISH" was used concurrently with the "LOGO- SPANISH" until the former was phased out in the 1890's.

see page 64 of same

new marking dies were made up in (1875) showing just the "LOGO(Legitimus)", described above and after 1876, they were used in conjunction with the existing "ENGLISH" die stamps, of which Collins had a good supply of until they were used up. "When all the separate dies were worn out, they were replaced with single dies, combining the various component markings, including model Numbers, with all the letters in GOTHIC capitals.

The piece referenced seems to show a separate die stamp "LOGO/LIGITMUS" deeper cut, a second stamp for " Collins & Co", and Model #. Based on this information, This piece predates 1877, most likely not exported to Spanish territory( LOGO/ENGLISH) rather than (LOGO/SPANISH) and I have not seen a COLLINS handle exactly like this( although it reminds me of the Civil War sword - saber bayonets) and expect that it was handled rehandled outside of the factory. The scabbard is not typical Collins. There scabbard metal tips were cut Perendicular to the leather of the scabbard- some straight edged and some scalloped). The handle appears to be non- Collins. So it would seem to pre-date 1877, seem to have a 3 piece die stamp set, seem to have a non Collins scabbard and a non- Collins handle. It can be dated to some where between 1876 and 1877. While the handle and scabbard are not typical Collins, the blade does date to a unique one year(+/-) time frame and would seem quite rare.

My collector friend Jan has sent me the following take on the machete.

This piece predates 1877, most likely not exported to Spanish territory( LOGO/ENGLISH) rather than (LOGO/SPANISH) and I have not seen a COLLINS handle exactly like this(although it reminds me of the Civil War sword - saber bayonets) and expect that it was handled rehandled outside of the factory. The scabbard is not typical Collins. There scabbard metal tips were cut Perpendicular to the leather of the scabbard- some straight edged and some scalloped). The handle appears to be non- Collins. So it would seem to pre-date 1877, seem to have a 3 piece die stamp set, seem to have a non Collins scabbard and a non- Collins handle. It can be dated to some where between 1876 and 1877.

Tony,

We appreciate you contacting your friend. She confirmed pretty much what Charlie and I tought, except for the date. While we felt that it was pre-1890's, it was made earlier than I thought.

Tony-in-NH
Tony,

We appreciate you contacting your friend. She confirmed pretty much what Charlie and I tought, except for the date. While we felt that it was pre-1890's, it was made earlier than I thought.

I will pass the coment on to Jan. Her Collins collection is unbelievable. She has items no one has seen.

Thanks to all who have taken the time and effort in researching this unique machete. The help is certainly appreciated. From what I have read I assume the blade was probably made 1876-1877 and handled/sheathed by unknown?. Is it possible that another company (unknown) aquired collins blades or this blade and made this? The handle and sheath are a perfect fit to this blade and in my opinion, if not made by collins, they were made specifically to fit this blade. I have taken the best photos I can but seeing and handling in person means a great deal. Again thanks for all the help !!

Tony-in-NH
Thanks to all who have taken the time and effort in researching this unique machete. The help is certainly appreciated. From what I have read I assume the blade was probably made 1876-1877 and handled/sheathed by unknown?. Is it possible that another company (unknown) aquired collins blades or this blade and made this? The handle and sheath are a perfect fit to this blade and in my opinion, if not made by collins, they were made specifically to fit this blade. I have taken the best photos I can but seeing and handling in person means a great deal. Again thanks for all the help !!

PM sent. Kindly respond.