Bronze M1 Garand

DSchlagan

DSchlagan

Another post got me remembering this, and thought it interesting.

I picked it up at a lawn sale several years ago. I also purchased a WWII US AAF Folding Survival Machete, made by Case, at that sale. I had the impression that the owner was a WWII Veteran, though I can't be certain as he wasn't there to speak with.

This appears to me as cast bronze, and is surprisingly detailed for it's size. The rifle itself measures 6 7/8" long; it is overall 8 11/16" with bayonet. The only marking is "CLEVELAND O.", as illustrated in the photo. Appears to have a lacquer coating, which remains on most of it.

I do not believe that it was made as a toy, especially with that sharp, pointy thing, goin' on.

post-21709-1304746948.jpg

DSchlagan

Dan,

Thanks for that explanation.

It makes perfect sense to have been designed as a letter opener. The bayonet is plenty sharp enough to do so.

It has a remarkable 'heft' for it's size, due to the bronze casting.

Regards,

Don.

Its a private purchase letter opener. You can find them with base names on them. I saw two identical ones with FT.HOOD stamped into them. I have one that is unmarked.

Below is a period advertisement, you can see the rifle just like yours. This is from forum member "General Apathy" (I hope he doesn't mind!)

Justin

b9615h.jpg

DSchlagan

Justin,

Thanks much for the info and the advertisement page.

They would be kinda cool to collect. They're remarkably detailed and I would be interested to know exactly what casting process they used. There are absolutely no mold marks on them. Probably an upscale investment casting.

Regards,

Don.

RustyCanteen

Letter opener.

Probably just because it is a simplified design,but the front end resembles a "gas trap garand".