• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:13 AM

Was just offerred this piece through a collector/dealer friend who had gotten it on consignment from another collector/dealer. Upon viewing it in hand it is an obvious fake. I had never seen or heard that "Ludlow-London" produced any type of USMC insignia in any era. No other USMC emblem collector I have contacted has either, so I was excited and curious.

The "logo" is lightly stamped with a die, which does not even come close to Ludlow's known mark. They produced U.S. aviation wings & other insignia during WWII. The placement and fouling of the anchor rope appears to have been done by someone under the influence. The characteristics of the piece, i.e., the globe, L&L lines and the anchor itself, speak for themselves. Coloring is nice and the bird not bad. Continents appears to be a thin separately applied piece. Enough to fool a novice at the right price. This particular bird is going back to its nest so it may be flying elsewhere. Pass the word! Semper Fi......Bobgee

LUDLOW_LONDON_MARKED_FAKE_1.JPG
LUDLOW_LONDON_MARKED_FAKE_2.JPG
LUDLOW_LONDON_MARKED_FAKE_3.JPG

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 15 October 2011 - 08:14 AM.

#2 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,537 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:53 AM

It is remarkably similar to the junk fantasy emblems the creators over at "usnusa" of ebay fame, were selling 4-5 years ago. Perhaps his latest creation, I wonder if someone else decided to upgrade its desirability by adding a unique hallmark and unload it :think: In any case this was intentionally created to deceive!

Attached Images

• post_376_1235652983.jpg

#3 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

I have also seen this fake in dress version marked "FIRMIN, LONDON".

S/F,
Mike

#4 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,793 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:39 PM

the lat/long lines are a dead giveaway!

#5 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,537 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:37 AM

... truly hope no one here is bidding on this phony?

Bids are already at 192.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1438.l2649

Attached Images

• __KGrHqVHJBsE60e3vhY_BO6onylCZ___60_3.jpg
  • __KGrHqFHJDcE63Z_jjCLBO6on4r31Q__60_3.jpg
  • __KGrHqNHJ_0E63RuBb3yBO6on_r4pg__60_3.jpg

#6 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,537 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users