Found Collection of VN Combat Art, Negatives, Contact Sheets

noexpert

Rach Kien, Sep 1968. I do not remember the exact circumstances of what was going on here or where these bags of rice came from, but I thought they may be of interest. The building in the background is the mess hall. This is when 2/39th was at Rach Kien.

post-14358-1305690959.jpg

Rach Kien, Sep 1968. Another point of view. The building to the left housed HQ personnel and some offices.

post-14358-1305691316.jpg

Capt Charles Harden, CO of Alpha Co. 2/39th. Rach Kien area, 1968. Note Recondo pin on his left pocket.

post-14358-1305866320.jpg

Lt. Phil Ward, Alphal Co., 1st Plt, 2/39th. Lt. Ward was sometimes known as the Lone Ranger. *During Plain of Reeds in June, when the CO of Alpha (who Capt Harden replaced) was killed, Lt Ward took command of the Company during a battle that eventually resulted in almost 200 enemy dead and more than 30 Americans killed.

post-14358-1305866519.jpg

I really apologize for the poor quality of this slide, but I thought the image was interesting enough to put it up.

3/5th Cav at Wunder Beach, Gulf of Tonkin, July 1968.

post-14358-1305952930.jpg

Gordon Birdsell, Alpha, 2/39th - Plain of Reeds, 1968. Birdsell was killed a few months after this picture was taken. He was one of the smallest guys in the company, but he humped the M-60. Captain Harden once said that "Birdseed" may have been the smallest man in the company, but he was all heart.

post-14358-1305956133.jpg

Charlie Trp, 3/5th Cav, Jul 1968.

Thought some folks may find the hat interesting...

post-14358-1306005672.jpg

Although I have no recollection of taking this, it's one of a pile of proofs of the 93rd Engineers I have. These would have been taken at Bearcat, probably sometime around March - April of '68. (The only reason I know these are guys from the 93rd is that one pic shows a sign.) I had to lighten the picture to make it visible, it's almost completely black from age and the way it was processed at the time, but that is a name tag over his right pocket.

post-14358-1306255603.jpg

93rd Engineers, Bearcat, 1968. Nothing glamorous here, just day to day grunt work...which is really what most of Army life is like and without the stuff guys like this did the whole machine would grind to a halt in a day. These are the types of shots I took tons of for the rest of the team to use as references. Of course, they also sketched around the camps also.

post-14358-1306329498.jpg

Thanks again for this incredible journey of VN photo and artwork.

I trust that you would consider printing a book.

Best Regards,

Don.

Thanks again for this incredible journey of VN photo and artwork.

I trust that you would consider printing a book.

Best Regards,

Don.

Thanks very much Don for your kind words. I know a lot of folks have looked, but not many have said anything.... Hopefully the VN people are finding some things they like.

No book in the offering for sure. The medic holding the baby also held a Silver Star, Wayne Campbell - who I've mentioned numerous times - was decorated for valor during the Plain of Reeds in June '68, Lt. Ward, posed so casually in the picture was highly decorated, Lt. Mann, as noted, lost a leg, Col. Schroeder -DSC - was killed a few months after I left...there are books to be written about those guys. (You can add to that there's not enough material and it's not really good enough...that's not modesty or fishing for complements, it's cold hard facts. I made my living as an illustrator for many years and I can tell "interesting" from quality. I would, however, like someday to see a book on VN combat art. I'm in my 60's so the clock's ticking on that one.)

I was just a lucky kid who was also lucky enough to wind up with some officers who gave me a long leash (of course, looking back, I was probably such a p.i.t.a. that they were glad to have me anywhere but nearby :rolleyes: ) and now I can share some of this stuff.

Thanks again. Dennis

This is Chris Brow, a Combat Photographer from 9th Signal. Rather unusually, there were three photographers out on this day...Chris, myself and Wayne Campbell.

post-14358-1306386676.jpg

Photo taken by Chris Brow, 9th Signal, of Wayne Campbell and myself trying to help an Alpha Company, 2/39th rifleman out of a sinkhole. Once the tide went out on the streams, if you stepped wrong on the mud the result could be this kind of disaster.

(That's the victim's M-16 I'm holding. I never carried a weapon.)

post-14358-1306386888.jpg

This was my view of the same guy...needless to say, he was thrilled to pieces about being the subject of three photographers. :lol:

post-14358-1306387114.jpg