Found Collection of VN Combat Art, Negatives, Contact Sheets

noexpert

I'm No Expert, :lol: my play on words :lol but I do believe these are priceless period photos .

Great stuff, :twothumbup:

Thanks very much.

Thumbnail sketches made during Cholon A&D ceremony, May, 1968. Bombed out building used by photographers, news cameramen, MP, sousaphone, etc...

post-14358-1330056424.jpg

post-14358-1330056435.jpg

post-14358-1330056447.jpg

A friend asked why some of the pics don't have watermarks. If I don't have the negatives, or a definite memory of taking the picture, I'm not going to put a claim on it. In some cases there was more than one photog out and a couple of guys snapping the same action within a few feet of each other. Well, the difference was going to be pretty hard to determine then, let alone 40+ years later. As I've noted, I sent my film back with who ever would take it and it just got processed and then either sent over to the CAT, or mixed in with Sig stuff. Either way, if Sig processed it, my name was never on it

There are pictures in the Octofoil magazines and the 9th Div Combat Art books that I know were taken by different photographers than they are identified to in the publications (not mine, I've only got one photo so this isn't a rant, just making my point that mis-ID's happened, even then.)

So, I just decided that, even if in my own memory I'm sure as heck each and every pic is the one I took because I picked them out and kept them since I was on the CAT in '68, I wouldn't ever want all to be called into question because I may have dropped the ball on one. Hope that over-clarifies it. :) There may be one or two also, like the helicopter slide, that are in such poor condition, that I just didn't bother early on.

• 3 weeks later...

Charlie Co, 2/39th, 1968, Long An Prov. Even in the bush there's still the "hurry up and wait" rule. The guy who's yawning has "short" on his helmet. The guy closest to the camera is one of the ARVN interpreters, so whatever his graffitti says, "short" isn't part of it. All of the interpreters were Staff Sergeants.

post-14358-1331657911.jpg

I'm not sure there's anyone in the world who can beat the Vietnamese when it comes to digging. Those drainage ditches may look harmless, but, as I learned the hard way - they're deep...like over your head deep. Experienced field guys knew how to step over them and plant their feet just right and, of course, they made it look pretty natural and easy. It wasn't natural. Or easy. Particulary if you were shorter than average. I went down like a rock when I hit the first one that was just a step too wide. It was one of those "happens to everyone" moments, and your reaction can pretty much determine how the rest of your time with a unit is going to go. I just wish there'd been someone taking pictures. :lol:

post-14358-1331658171.jpg

Rear echelon, Charlie Co, 2/39th, 1968. This was taken during the beginning of a sweep, which a in a few minutes turned into an ambush. I was standing with what have been the Company HQ, and thus, by some standards, the Company's rear echelon. I had a good friend who was drafted to become a company commander's RTO because of his outstanding rep as a platoon RTO. He was furious - and humiliated - about becoming a REMF! He got a Purple Heart as the CO's RTO, but it didn't mean the same to him as it would have if he'd been with his old platoon.

It was a strict and harsh caste system and it broke down to squad levels in every unit and, no outsiders got in, because it wasn't a club, and it wasn't family, it was truly a caste and you were either melded into it or you were outside of it.

There were photographers and correspondents who hated the infantry and either wouldn't cover them, or would come out to cover an A&D ceremony or something because of how they were (in other words, not like the movies.) People like Wayne and me got along with combat infantry because we understood that we were outsiders, even if they liked us, and that when we got out of the field we'd pretty served whatever the **** our function was and now it was time to go away.

post-14358-1331658916.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Lt Col Schroeder, 2/39th CO, and Capt Johnson, CO of Charlie Co confer after firefight, Long An, 1968.

post-14358-1332776803.jpg

Can't figure out why I missed this thread first time round...but I'm glad it's been resurrected now! Stunning photographic images and distinctive artwork of the highest calibre. Simply awesome! :twothumbup:

Can't figure out why I missed this thread first time round...but I'm glad it's been resurrected now! Stunning photographic images and distinctive artwork of the highest calibre. Simply awesome! :twothumbup:

Thanks very much. I do appreciate the encouragement and kind words. Dennis

One of Alpha Company's (2/39th) Tiger Scouts. He had been with the Viet Cong for a long time before coming over and Wayne did a great interview with him for The Old Reliable.

post-14358-1333035490.jpg