M1937 Service Cover Emblem - GEMSCO

PhotoMarine

PhotoMarine

Let's hope I did not get burned, saw this on EBAY...not much bidding and I ended up paying abit over $100.

Have not seen this version much and to be honest the way the rope is fixed has some concern for me.......

what say the group a legit Bird, or a REPRO ?????? :pinch: :think:

post-37421-1304378046.jpg

usmcaviator

Totally legit 1950's-1960's GEMSCO version of the officer's service emblem. The anchor chain is fine, and typical of the late 1950's era. These aren't seen much, but I would not call them scarce. Years back, they brought around $125-175, now, I'd say valued in the $65-100 range. This one has much of the original finish, so the top range you paid is justified.

S/F,

Maj Manifor

Bob Hudson
Totally legit 1950's-1960's GEMSCO version of the officer's service emblem. The anchor chain is fine, and typical of the late 1950's era. These aren't seen much, but I would not call them scarce. Years back, they brought around $125-175, now, I'd say valued in the $65-100 range. This one has much of the original finish, so the top range you paid is justified.

S/F,

Maj Manifor

I knew someone knew a lot more than what I guessed at :) Is the one at the link http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry180932 the same piece?

PhotoMarine

S/F,

Maj Manifor

THANK YOU both for the help....the starting bid was $95 so if I wanted it and I did was ready to pay that so I got away with slightly over $100

JUST HAPPY she is Legit :w00t: I dont have many Officer EGA's and i'm starting to build.

I was the guy bidding against you...play money is tight these days...they still hit around 150 on good days

Bob Hudson
I was the guy bidding against you...play money is tight these days...they still hit around 150 on good days

Boy, i couldn't get that for a nice sterling H&H piece.

usmcaviator
I knew someone knew a lot more than what I guessed at :) Is the one at the link http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry180932 the same piece?

Bob,

Yes, it is the same piece. I have yet to see any evidence that this pattern was worn or sold in WW2. Everything points to the 1950's -1960's. I have warned about assigning patterns to EGAs. P1937 doesn't mean it was made in WW2. It means it most closely resembles that of which is depicted in the 1937 regulations. It is perfectly reasonable that what some people here call a P1937, never saw WW2 service. Do you know how many different types exist from 1937 to the 1960's? Should they all be randomly assigned P1937? The answer is no. We need a better way to classify devices. I dont have an answer either. Fred Bruier has an interesting classification system if his book ever makes it out.

S/F,

Mike

PhotoMarine

Sorry to hear that Brig...post some of your collection for sale and I'll make it up to you...lol

PhotoMarine
Boy, i couldn't get that for a nice sterling H&H piece.

HOW nice....lol

PhotoMarine
Bob,

Yes, it is the same piece. I have yet to see any evidence that this pattern was worn or sold in WW2. Everything points to the 1950's -1960's. I have warned about assigning patterns to EGAs. P1937 doesn't mean it was made in WW2. It means it most closely resembles that of which is depicted in the 1937 regulations. It is perfectly reasonable that what some people here call a P1937, never saw WW2 service. Do you know how many different types exist from 1937 to the 1960's? Should they all be randomly assigned P1937? The answer is no. We need a better way to classify devices. I dont have an answer either. Fred Bruier has an interesting classification system if his book ever makes it out.

S/F,

Mike

YES...would be nice to pin down a closer date for EGA's other that 1937 to 1962......MAKES the EGA referance section PRICELESS trying to use outside sources gets you a date range using the known reg's 1926, 1937, 1956 ect.....

Bob Hudson
HOW nice....lol

hhega.jpg

By the way, I'm Johnstown born, with family still in Moxham.

PhotoMarine
post-214-1304387226.jpg

By the way, I'm Johnstown born, with family still in Moxham.

I BID ON THAT....I Sooooo wanted it and someone "stole" it at the last sec..(literally) .it's beauiful. BTW I saved you as a FAV seller and chk you out everyday to see if your selling more.

JOHNSTOWN: small world...born here as well, moved back home after the USMC. ( sometimes wonder why)

AGAIN THAT EGA..was NICE. would have went $150 on it but I thought I had it in "the bag"

Seems the visor cap eagles do pretty well Not to many bargins to be forund,This said I was able to pick up an enlisted uniform group a week ago from the late 40s.gave $60 for it and only thing I wanted was the officers cap device.Got a lot of period chevrons too.

RD

usmcaviator
getting sniped is common-place in the EGA hobby...

Wind....elevation.....gravity...breathe...slow squeeze.....and....Za-Zing!!