WWII 83rd Airborne Division patch on Ebay?

ssggates

I know a little about the 83rd Infantry Division in WWII but apparently I missed something. When were they ever airborne?

original ww2 83rd airborne infantry

Original US Army 83rd.Airborne Infantry.(Thunderbolt Div.) cut edge ,non glow patch with airborne tab. WW2 era patch. Very scarce and getting harder to find especially in un-issued condition. A must have for the military patch collector. Thank's for looking

http://cgi.ebay.com/original-ww2-83rd-airb...=item3367466341

post-20290-1304002776.jpg

carbinephalen

See....you were an airborne collector all along. All of your uniforms just quadrupled in value!!! Congrats! I can't believe with all of the veterans interviews you did and all of the resources you have on the 83rd you're just now realizing that it was actually an airborne unit...I don't even wanna think about what Uncle Kenny would have to say about this situation...

(Haha!)

Well, if it looks right, it has got to be right, right?

-Ski

The thing that guarantees its validity to me is the rarely-seen combination of cut edge SSI and Merrow- edged Airborne tab!

Patch Johnson

Maybe he thought it went in order, 82nd...83rd... makes sense right?? Or maybe he just knows that if you add "airborne", "Navy Seal", or "Ninja" to your description of anything the price quadruples? They did "jump" into Normandy, it was just off the back of a landing craft. At any rate, like you said Carbine, I believe this gives me authority to demand exhorbitant prices for my 83rd items... starting with the authentic 83rd Airborne jump jacket I have in the closet!

Proud Kraut

Same seller has one more "one of a kind" A/B patch... :lol:

"original ww2 15th.army airborne /oval and jump wing"

I think I have to get me a bunch of A/B tabs

Lars

P.S. For the starters: This is a 15th Army Group patch that never ever was an Airborne unit but looks kind of similar to the 82nd A/B division patch.

15ag.jpg

Did anyone else see the merrowed "PERSHING" tab offered as one of GEN Pershing's troops?

G

Did anyone else see the merrowed "PERSHING" tab offered as one of GEN Pershing's troops?

G

Haha, nope I missed that one. I wonder if he ever wonders why General Airborne had so many more troops than General Pershing??

Patchhouse2

I think this is put together. There is no known reason elements of the 83d ID would be Airborne during WWII.

Following WWII the 83d was an Army Reserve Infantry Division (straight leg) before becoming the 83d Army Reserve Command. The command in inactivated.

I cannot find my notes but something tells me the 83d ARCOM had an Infantry Pathfinder Platoon (Airborne) for a few years from the late 1970's / early 1980's until sometime in the early 1990s'. The unit was about 25 - 30 soldiers. Similar units existed in at least 3 other Army Reserve Commands (89th, 90th and 97th) at the sametime. If my memory is correct, that unit used an Airborne tab (gold on black - merrow edge) over a merrow edge 83d ID (83d ARCOM) SSI (it is possible the unit may have used a cut edge SSI with a merrow edge tab).

Things need to pass a smell test....this advertisement is not even close to doing that.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Cobrahistorian

Hey all,

The 83rd was briefly an Airborne division, but well after WWII. I'm not sure the exact dates that the 83rd was considered Airborne, but it wasn't very long, and they certainly didn't have merrowed edge tabs with cut edge patches.

Jon

lamarhooten
I think this is put together. There is no known reason elements of the 83d ID would be Airborne during WWII.

Following WWII the 83d was an Army Reserve Infantry Division (straight leg) before becoming the 83d Army Reserve Command. The command in inactivated.

I cannot find my notes but something tells me the 83d ARCOM had an Infantry Pathfinder Platoon (Airborne) for a few years from the late 1970's / early 1980's until sometime in the early 1990s'. The unit was about 25 - 30 soldiers. Similar units existed in at least 3 other Army Reserve Commands (89th, 90th and 97th) at the sametime. If my memory is correct, that unit used an Airborne tab (gold on black - merrow edge) over a merrow edge 83d ID (83d ARCOM) SSI (it is possible the unit may have used a cut edge SSI with a merrow edge tab).

Things need to pass a smell test....this advertisement is not even close to doing that.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I have to agree! I have an 83rd and a 97th id as the same with detatched tabs. Both were gotten in the middle to late 80's. I will try to look at all the back issues i have available of the Trading Post (ASMIC) and find the article mentioning these units. :think: This patch might be from that time frame, but NO WAY from WWII! :thumbdown:

Patchhouse2

There were 4 USAR Infantry Divisions briefly designated as Airborne Divisions in the late 1940's / early 1950's - the 83d was not one of them. The divisions designated were the 80th, 84th, 100th and 108th. None of these divisions were around more than 18 or so months....all kinds of manning, equipping, resourcing and other readiness issues. Following this brief exercusion as an airborne unit, they were returned to their status as a straight leg infantry division.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Patchhouse2

There were 4 USAR Infantry Divisions briefly designated as Airborne Divisions in the late 1940's / early 1950's - the 83d was not one of them. The divisions designated were the 80th, 84th, 100th and 108th. None of these divisions were around more than 18 or so months....all kinds of manning, equipping, resourcing and other readiness issues. Following this brief exercusion as an airborne unit, they were returned to their status as a straight leg infantry division.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I have to agree! I have an 83rd and a 97th id as the same with detatched tabs. Both were gotten in the middle to late 80's. I will try to look at all the back issues i have available of the Trading Post (ASMIC) and find the article mentioning these units. :think: This patch might be from that time frame, but NO WAY from WWII! :thumbdown:

My information indicates the following ARCOM's had pathfinder detachments, 5th Inf Plt - 97th ARCOM, 26th Inf Plt - 89th ARCOM,

27th Inf Plt - 90th ARCOM, 54th Inf Plt - 124th ARCOM, & 79th Inf Plt - 96th ARCOM.

I have no information to indicate that the 83rd ARCOM had a pathfinder unit or a QM unit during the period of these other units.

lamarhooten
My information indicates the following ARCOM's had pathfinder detachments, 5th Inf Plt - 97th ARCOM, 26th Inf Plt - 89th ARCOM,

27th Inf Plt - 90th ARCOM, 54th Inf Plt - 124th ARCOM, & 79th Inf Plt - 96th ARCOM.

I have no information to indicate that the 83rd ARCOM had a pathfinder unit or a QM unit during the period of these other units.

You might be correct on the 83rd. :think: And i ought to proof read my own posts! It is the "Double Diamond" 96th that i have. Can't even read my own writing! :think: I still belive that there is/was an article out there about these units! Have no explanation on the button! :think:

Cobrahistorian

I've got two of those 83rd Airborne Division buttons somewhere around here too. Not sure what to make of em!

Jon

I've got two of those 83rd Airborne Division buttons somewhere around here too. Not sure what to make of em!

Jon

I wonder if they are nothing more than a printers mistake ?

Could it have been one of the fictitious airborne divisions that were made up as being part of Patton's army group to fool the German's prior to the invasion? This is one of the fake airborne --9th AB, for Patton's FUSAG

post-5081-1304094055.jpg

Cobrahistorian

It isn't one of those divisions though. I've seen an 83rd patch that was from well after WWII with an airborne tab on a uniform before. Trying to find some photographic evidence of it. That led me to believe that the buttons may, in fact, be correct, but I don't know of any time that they deployed after WWII. It's bizarre!

Alright, post your own "Airborne" patches. Everybody else on E-Bay is!

If a shield has a arching top, and it looks cool, it has to be an Airborne unit!

-Ski

post-3043-1304104332.jpg