• Please log in to reply
531 replies to this topic

#101 JGC

JGC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 179
  • 859 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:14 PM

Is it possible to have you post some shots of what appears to be a WW1 era pilots tunic you have in the case?

Thanks
John

Hi John, I'll try and get you some pictures, the uniform and named trunk were picked up at a garage sale, in Jacksonville, Illinois. He trained in California and Texas, the war ended before he left the States. Jon

#102 John Cooper

John Cooper
  • Members
    • Member ID: 227
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

Super thanks - what base in California?

Edited by doinworkinvans, 13 February 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#103 JGC

JGC
  • Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:41 PM

Another new item for the collection is the flight jacket of Cmdr. Reuben H Denoff, USN. Denoff was an ace with 5 confirmed kills, he flew with VF-9 and later was the CO of VBF-12. He flew off the USS Ranger, USS Essex, and the USS Randolph, a true American hero.

Attached Images

• a.jpg
  • b.jpg
  • c.jpg
  • d.jpg

Edited by doinworkinvans, 13 February 2015 - 05:22 PM.

#104 Tseuh

Tseuh
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,720
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:24 AM

Hi Jon,

All has already been said about your collection (Wow ! outstanding ! Fantastic ! ...) so I can only say one word in French to avoid repeating : formidable !
(arghhh, your A-2s... !!!!)
And I really appreciate the way you communicate and answer to every questions of members.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

Tim.

#105 JGC

JGC
  • Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:34 AM

[quote name='John Cooper' post='279113' date='Feb 15 2009, 09:28 PM']Super thanks - what base in California?

Hi John here are the pictures you requested, sorry for the glare on the photos, they were in a glass frame. Thanks Jon

Attached Images

• 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 7.jpg
  • 8.jpg
  • 9.jpg

Edited by doinworkinvans, 13 February 2015 - 05:38 PM.

#106 Justin

Justin
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,305
  • 10,446 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:23 PM

I thought I'd post a couple new additions to the collection. The first is a nice Fixed bail M-1 helmet with a Hawley liner. The second is a Fixed bail M-1 medics helmet, hope you enjoy. Jon
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii150/para-guy/MVC-782S.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii150/para-guy/MVC-783S.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii150/para-guy/MVC-784S.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii150/para-guy/MVC-785S.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii150/para-guy/MVC-787S.jpg

http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/w00t.gif http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#107 jerry_k

jerry_k
  • Members
    • Member ID: 369
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:27 AM

Another new item for the collection is the flight jacket of Cmdr. Reuben H Denoff, USN. Denoff was an ace with 5 confirmed kills, he flew with VF-9 and later was the CO of VBF-12. He flew off the USS Ranger, USS Essex, and the USS Randolph, a true American hero.

WOW!This jacket is great!!!! Wish to have one like this in my collection!!!! congrats!
JK

Edited by doinworkinvans, 13 February 2015 - 05:39 PM.

#108 JGC

JGC
  • Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:00 PM

Thanks Jerry, I purchased a small navy aviation collection, and this was one of 3 navy flight jackets that I acquired. I'll try and post the others later. Thanks Jon

#109 JGC

JGC
  • Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:56 PM

These are 2 more navy flight jackets that I recently acquired with a small Navy aviation collection. Thanks Jon

Attached Images

• T.jpg
  • U.jpg
  • V.jpg
  • W.jpg
  • X.jpg
  • Y.jpg
  • Z.jpg
  • ZZ.jpg

Edited by doinworkinvans, 13 February 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#110 O.G-Palmer

O.G-Palmer
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,819
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:16 PM

I hope you enjoy viewing my war room as much as I've enjoyed filling it up.
90% of what you will see was directly purchased from a vet.
My main interest is WWII airborne and army aircorps,
I also like anything that has some type of artwork added to the item: A-2's, duffle bags, footlockers, etc.

What a fantastic collection,
Could you post a close up of the jacket with the British combined operations patch in the second photograph.

Would be mot appreciated.

#111 JGC

JGC
  • Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:13 PM

What a fantastic collection,
Could you post a close up of the jacket with the British combined operations patch in the second photograph.

Would be mot appreciated.

The uniform that your referring to belonged to Sgt. Harry J. Pulos. he was a member of the OSS and spent a good amount of time in Greece during the war. He was a member of Co C 2671st Special Reconnaissance Battalion and later in the war he was with the 63rd Signal Operations Battalion, 5th Army. I have a fantastic group of photos and paper work to the trooper. I wish I had time to post some of the photos, there quite interesting. The uniform that he is wearing in the studio photo is the same one I have posted here, it appears that he had added a few things to it after the photo was taken. If anyone has any idea what the patch sewn to the right breast pocket is I would be interested in hearing from you.

Attached Images

• a.jpg
  • b.jpg
  • c.jpg
  • d.jpg
  • e.jpg
  • f.jpg

Edited by doinworkinvans, 13 February 2015 - 05:53 PM.

#112 mosapie

mosapie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,057
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:48 AM

Hi, some great uniforms there! How do you contact the sellers, as I have only been able to buy from dealers or other forum members?
Ash.

#113 JGC

JGC
  • Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:13 AM

Hi, some great uniforms there! How do you contact the sellers, as I have only been able to buy from dealers or other forum members?
Ash.

Hi Ash, great question. I think you have to just get out there and look. I hit every yard sale, tag sale, auction, estate sale that I see advertised, and then you need to run ads in local publications indicating that your interested in buying this type of material. If you do it long enough people will know that you collect, and they will actually come looking for you. Get to know your fellow collectors that live in your area, if you know what their interested in, there's always possibilities of trades. Good luck, if you work hard, some really great things will come your way. Jon

#114 J_Andrews

J_Andrews
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,689
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:32 PM

Do Pulos' papers show him ever in the 122nd Infantry Battalion (Sep)? That was originally formed in Colorado as a Greek-language unit, its members either being Greeks stranded in the US by gthe war or Greek-Americans, plus fillers who did not speak Greek. When the OSS went to ask for volunteers, citing the usual volunteers for death-defying thrills behind enemeny lines spiel, the WHOLE battalion stepped forward. On paper, the 122nd remained ACTIVE, as a unit, and deployed under OSS to Egypt, where it ran a training center. Its members were gradually siphoned away, into various OGs, other OSS duties, or the MTO at large.

#115 JGC

JGC
  • Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

Do Pulos' papers show him ever in the 122nd Infantry Battalion (Sep)? That was originally formed in Colorado as a Greek-language unit, its members either being Greeks stranded in the US by gthe war or Greek-Americans, plus fillers who did not speak Greek. When the OSS went to ask for volunteers, citing the usual volunteers for death-defying thrills behind enemeny lines spiel, the WHOLE battalion stepped forward. On paper, the 122nd remained ACTIVE, as a unit, and deployed under OSS to Egypt, where it ran a training center. Its members were gradually siphoned away, into various OGs, other OSS duties, or the MTO at large.

I found these two documents in Pulos's paper work, yes it does appear that he was in the 122nd Inf prior to being transfered into the 3rd Contingent Operational Group.

Attached Images

• a.jpg
  • b.jpg

Edited by doinworkinvans, 13 February 2015 - 05:56 PM.

#116 Jeffro

Jeffro
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,489
  • 586 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:17 PM

These are 2 more navy flight jackets that I recently acquired with a small Navy aviation collection. Thanks Jon

Jon, Jon, Jon :dry: I just don't think the USN jackets fit in your collection. It is an awesome collection with great attention to detail and clearly has specific focus on Airborne and AAC items. Why spoil the purity of such a fantastic collection with USN Aviation items?  I suggest you cleanse that great collection from such impurities and immediately forward the USN jackets to me so that they can serve out their remaigning days in my l humble collection. ;) Just PM me and I'll give you the address. 

Edited by doinworkinvans, 13 February 2015 - 05:57 PM.

#117 S1991

S1991
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,316
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:38 AM

Nice collection of different Airborne and Airforce jackets you get there JGC !
Thanks for sharing it with us.

Silvano

#118 101combatvet

101combatvet

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 1,494
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

I have never seen this one before.... almost looks like Italian Army. I'll have to check some of my reference books.

The uniform that your referring to belonged to Sgt. Harry J. Pulos. he was a member of the OSS and spent a good amount of time in Greece during the war. He was a member of Co C 2671st Special Reconnaissance Battalion and later in the war he was with the 63rd Signal Operations Battalion, 5th Army. I have a fantastic group of photos and paper work to the trooper. I wish I had time to post some of the photos, there quite interesting. The uniform that he is wearing in the studio photo is the same one I have posted here, it appears that he had added a few things to it after the photo was taken. If anyone has any idea what the patch sewn to the right breast pocket is I would be interested in hearing from you.

Edited by doinworkinvans, 13 February 2015 - 05:57 PM.

#119 brandon_rss18

brandon_rss18
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,378
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

WOW! Great MUSEUM man. Thank you can spare one of those A-2's? I only need one. lol ;)

#120 JGC

JGC
  • Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:57 PM

Thank you all for the kind words. Just picked up a great 8th AAF grouping today, the trunk hadn't been out of the attic in 60 years. I'll try and get some pictures posted as soon as possible. He was a gunner on a B-24 with the 786th Bomb Squadron, great stuff, A-2, uniform, and enough paper work to float a boat. 101combatvet, if you find anything out regarding the patch on the OSS uniform, I'd appreciate hearing back. Thanks again, Jon

#121 101combatvet

101combatvet

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 1,494
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:47 PM

I'll certainly try my best.

Thank you all for the kind words. Just picked up a great 8th AAF grouping today, the trunk hadn't been out of the attic in 60 years. I'll try and get some pictures posted as soon as possible. He was a gunner on a B-24 with the 786th Bomb Squadron, great stuff, A-2, uniform, and enough paper work to float a boat. 101combatvet, if you find anything out regarding the patch on the OSS uniform, I'd appreciate hearing back. Thanks again, Jon

#122 JGC

JGC
  • Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

As promised, this is the 8th AAF grouping that I picked up about a 2 weeks ago, I actually carried it down from the attic. I just wish I would have been able to talk to Sgt Tomlinson before he passed, his wife told me that he was very proud of his time in the service and he liked to talk to anyone that would listen. I hope you like it, Jon

Attached Images

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • c.jpg
  • d.jpg
  • e.jpg
  • f.jpg
  • g.jpg
  • h.jpg

Edited by doinworkinvans, 13 February 2015 - 06:02 PM.

#123 Tseuh

Tseuh
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,720
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:14 AM

What a lucky man !

Congratulations, this grouping is fantastic.
Thanks for sharing.

All the best,

Tim.

#124 WWIIEnthusiast123

WWIIEnthusiast123
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,860
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:07 PM

WOW.... I think my jaw just hit the floor :) that collection is AMAZING! How did you find/contact all of those vets?

Edited by WWIIEnthusiast123, 18 March 2009 - 09:16 PM.

#125 JGC

JGC
  • Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

WOW.... I think my jaw just hit the floor :) that collection is AMAZING! How did you find/contact all of those vets?

Hi WWIIEnthusiast12, thanks for the kind words. As far as making contacts, you just need to get out and talk to as many people as possible. The WWII vets are passing at an alarming rate, if you wait to long there won't be anyone to talk too. Good luck, and by the way your army aircorps uniform has a great looking bullion patch. Jon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users