42nd Division Negative Collection - 222nd AT Company

gauthieb3sxz

gauthieb3sxz

I've been scanning a large collection (700+) of negatives taken by a member of the 222nd anti-tank company of the 42nd Division. I really want to share the images! Some super content here.

I hope you guys enjoy. I've hooked up with a few living members of the company and have given them copies.

This first one was taken during the fall of Munich.

post-10756-1303517066.jpg

gauthieb3sxz
I've been scanning a large collection (700+) of negatives taken by a member of the 222nd anti-tank company of the 42nd Division. I really want to share the images! Some super content here.

I hope you guys enjoy. I've hooked up with a few living members of the company and have given them copies.

SS small arms repair vehicle - note the captured SS helmet!

post-10756-1303518034.jpg

gauthieb3sxz

The GI with the helmet net was named Hinchey. A vet I met told me some amazing stories about him. At one point he was captured by two Germans. When one was shot by MG fire, the other hashed up a plan with Hinchey. If they were captured by Germans, Hinchey would have to surrender. If they encountered US troops, the German would give Hinchey his gun and pretend he was captured. Awesome!

post-10756-1303524439.jpg

Inspecting captured German ammo

Very nice photo's, keep them coming.Looks like the soldier to the right has a knife or dagger in his boot.

The GI with the helmet net was named Hinchey. A vet I met told me some amazing stories about him. At one point he was captured by two Germans. When one was shot by MG fire, the other hashed up a plan with Hinchey. If they were captured by Germans, Hinchey would have to surrender. If they encountered US troops, the German would give Hinchey his gun and pretend he was captured. Awesome!

These shots are awesome, keep them and the stories coming.

I like how Doc has his scissors clipped to his belt loop.

gauthieb3sxz
These shots are awesome, keep them and the stories coming.

I like how Doc has his scissors clipped to his belt loop.

Here's a neat one. One of the vets I talked with told me about using netting from the trucks as a makeshift helmet netting. Pretty cool example of it right here!

post-10756-1303784129.jpg