Lets see some USMC swords!

PVON

OK guys... I can also play with a set of boxed USMC sword hangers that I just picked up. These are sword slings for the USMC Officer Sword in the original box.

USMC_sword_hanger.JPG

And, a side view of the box showing the Officers' Equipment Company wording and original price tag.

USMC_sword_hanger_side.JPG

American Heritage
another

Daggeraddict...this one is incredible!!! Love it.

The other sabers displayed here are great as well..

Finally, finally, some people I can discuss this cool stuff with!

• 1 month later...
usmc-collector

My two USMC Officers swords

USMC Sword, not named, USMC app. serial no. 322

post-31-1273675850.jpg

USMC Sword, not named (but was part of named USMC women officer uniform lot), Made in Germany, serial. no. 6-82

post-31-1273675861.jpg

SF JAROSLAV

• 2 years later...

Picked this up today. I have seen these called pre-WWII and I tend to agree. It has N.S. Meyer's name and "Trade Defender Mark" on it, as well as "Germany." We do see ones made post war, but they say "West Germany."

But what is really telling - I think - is the burnt orange color of the grips. It is very much like what we see on Nazi daggers and quite unlike the imitation ivory color of most Mameluke swords. The engraving on the blade is very deep, unlike the shallow chemical etchings so common.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Here is a Marine Officer's sword of the 1859 regulations which replaced the Mameluke hilt sword from 1859 until 1874. This sword is made by W. H. Horstmann & Sons Philadelphia, and has USMC etched into the blade. This sword has the Horstmann French Infantry Officer's Model 1821 hilt with the officers’ shagreen covered grip. These hilts were cast by Horstmann and used on a number of their pre-Civil War and Civil War infantry Officer’s swords. While the scabbard is both Horstmann and Civil War it should be leather not steel so is probably not original to the sword.

Dick

post-9487-0-11183600-1350496947.jpg

post-9487-0-92133400-1350496959.jpg

post-9487-0-22471200-1350496972_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

I have the USMC sword of Capt. Daniel Wilder Kent. It has "usmc serial no. 323, made in Germany and imported by Hilborn-Hamburger. He was KIA on 1-24-68 in Quang Tri, SVN. He was with Bravo company, 3rd Tanks, 3rd Division. He is named on the WAll, panel 35E, Row 023. It is an honor to have this sword in my collection. A dark brown or cordovan, braided, sword knot is attached.

Kenneth Whitcomb

Good afternoon Kenneth,

I am the daughter of Lt. Col. Palmer Brown, U.S.M.C. who served with Danny in Vietnam and who's family has been extremely close with our own.

I am sure this is an extremely large request, however, I would like to respectfully ask if you would be willing to sell this item so that we can return it to his family. He was heroically KIA at the age of 24 and his children grew up with little memory or their own father. I can think of no better way to preserve his legacy than to return this to his family. It was through a series of unfortunate events that this item left his family and we would desperately like to return this to them.

You can reach me here although I am also the co-founder of Keystone Pinups, a 501c3 non-profit organization that works to raise funds and awareness for Veterans, Military Servicemembers & their families in need as well as the First Responder Community.

Bravo%20Co.%20C.O.,%20Capt.%20Dan%20Kent

Thank you Ken & have a blessed weekend!

Tabitha Carrico (Devil Pup)

Keystone Pinups

www.keystonepinups.com

www.facebook.com/KeystonePinups

suwanneetrader

Here is an early USMC sword in my collection. It is a lot like the US M1850 Foot Officer's sword. Most place examples like this distributed/sold by Horstman, Phila. as approx. 1875. Only the letters "USMC" were on the CW size blade until shortly after WWI when the blade was made smaller and lighter and the full "United States Marines" was used. Richard

post-15934-0-99125900-1379790309.jpgpost-15934-0-91586400-1379790325.jpgpost-15934-0-63033100-1379790346.jpgpost-15934-0-99330900-1379790374.jpgpost-15934-0-97505300-1379790410.jpg

suwanneetrader

I forgot to mention but sword is numbered 533 on the hilt and the leather sheath has 527 on the brass drag. The scabbard's throat and middle band each have a 52 made with same size die as other numbers. Richard

• 1 year later...

Great ww2 beauty! I bought mine as filler until I can find a ww2 or korean war era for sale.

I served with Capt. Veston Edwards and am interested in this sword. Where is it now? Is it available for purchase?

Max M. Kennedy

2115 Highland Farm Rd.

Hillsborough, N. C. 27278

919-732-4276

• 1 year later...

I've been researching USMC sword manufacturers myself and I can give some detailed info on current makers (80's to present... this is when it became more commonplace for manufacturers to stamp their own blades rather than allow the importers to hog all the credit). As far as I know, post WWII to the 70's, all USMC swords were imported from either Solingen Germany, Toledo Spain, a handful from Taiwan, a fewer from Japan, and fewer still from London England. The English makers (Wilkinson Sword) and the Japanese (I can't recall the name at the moment) actually stamped/etched/engraved their names on the blade (on the ricasso). The German makers (usually WKC, Eickhorn, Horster) sometimes did this. In most cases, the only makers marks were the American importers name (Hilborn-Hamburger, Gemsco, etc.) , and the origin of manufacture. Also, somewhere around the 1960's (I think), the Marine Corps began stamping approval numbers on the blades in order to ensure strict conformity with regards to design and especially etch pattern (which makes them even harder to tell makers apart). Prior to WWII, there were more sword cutlers around, including American ones such Lilley-Ames and Horstmann (but even Horstmann imported their blades from Solingen), but I'm still trying to compile a list. I hope this helps...

In the note above the author alludes to Japanese makers of mameluke swords, but states "I can't recall the name at the moment". Does anyone have any information about Japanese-made mamelukes? I recently acquired a c.1950 mameluke retailed by Jacob Reeds Sons of Philadelphia (photos posted in another thread). I suspect it may be Japanese made although it has no visible country of origin marks (I have not disassembled it to look for marks on the tang). I would like more info on Japanese firms which might have made mamelukes or other US military swords, e.g. M1902 Army and M1852 Navy, and would especially like to see some photos.

Here is my mameluke:

post-160923-0-62457800-1461103307.jpg