6 replies to this topic

#1 Longbranch

Longbranch
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,320
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:35 PM

Hey All,
I just picked up this small Navy "Amphibious Forces" uniform group. I paid entirely too much for it, but the seller was splitting up the uniform piece by piece and I didn't have the heart to see everything scattered to the wind. Included in the group are the jumper, pants, and neckerchief. All 3 pieces are named to the vet, Motor Machinist's Mate 1st Class (MOMM1c) G. L. Glover Jr. I found a George L. Glover Jr. in the 1930 and 1920 Census records native to Rhode Island (same area of the Ebay seller it was purchased from) that may have been the original owner, which sending off for records will hopefully clear up. The uniform set is in exceptional condition, with absolutely no mothing.

The construction of the rating patch is interesting. Usually, they are simply a sewn-on patch with the eagle, rate, and rank (1st class, 2nd class, etc.) all on the patch. However, on this jumper, each component is sewn on individually. The eagle is a separate patch, the Motor Machinist's Mate rate is a separate patch (of the type seen on jumpers where the sailor hasn't yet become a petty officer), and each chevron is an individual piece of cotton fabric sewn onto the sleeve. It's certainly different and appears completely original. Haven't seen another like it!

Anyway, check it out and feel free to comment!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d165/BurninFilmzd/IMG_1709_copy.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d165/BurninFilmzd/IMG_1710_copy.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d165/BurninFilmzd/_copyIMG_1712.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d165/BurninFilmzd/IMG_1711_copy.jpg

#2 Teamski

Teamski
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,043
  • 11,505 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

Pretty odd!

-Ski

#3 carbinekid

carbinekid
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,603
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:34 PM

Well it definitely gives it a cleaner look. Obviously that sailor had some time on his hands...

#4 sigsaye

sigsaye
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,104
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:52 PM

That crow is just too cool! Love the Gator Sailors :thumbsup:

Steve Hesson

#5 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 24,355
  • 10,979 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

Obviously that sailor had some time on his hands...

Or more money, it's just as likely that it was applied by a base or off base tailor.

Some guys didn't/couldn't mess with sewing a rate on straight and just paid for someone to do it for them, a lot better than doing it yourself and not passing inspection.

Nice buy.

Edited by RustyCanteen, 20 April 2011 - 05:41 PM.

#6 Longbranch

Longbranch
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,320
  • 664 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:28 PM

Just wanted to provide an update to this topic.

Using Ancestry.com's new addition of WW2 U.S. Navy Muster Rolls, I have been able to positively ID this uniform to MoMM1c George L. Glover Jr. of provenance, Rhode Island. He enlisted in the Navy on November 18, 1943, and was attached to the ship LST 1030. He was an original crew member of LST 1030, serving aboard the ship from the day she was commissioned on July 19, 1944 up to early May of 1946. LST 1030 was decommissioned on May 29, 1946, meaning that MoMM1c Glover served aboard her nearly the entire time she was in service with the U.S. Navy. While a crew member of this ship, he took part in the landings at the Lingayen Gulf and Okinawa.

Edited by Longbranch, 24 June 2011 - 10:30 PM.

#7 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 21,873 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:11 PM

Just wanted to provide an update to this topic.

Using Ancestry.com's new addition of WW2 U.S. Navy Muster Rolls, I have been able to positively ID this uniform to MoMM1c George L. Glover Jr. of Providence, Rhode Island. He enlisted in the Navy on November 18, 1943, and was attached to the ship LST 1030. He was an original crew member of LST 1030, serving aboard the ship from the day she was commissioned on July 19, 1944 up to early May of 1946. LST 1030 was decommissioned on May 29, 1946, meaning that MoMM1c Glover served aboard her nearly the entire time she was in service with the U.S. Navy. While a crew member of this ship, he took part in the landings at the Lingayen Gulf and Okinawa.

Those WWII Navy Muster Rolls on ancestry are a great new resource and I think they'll spur some interest in collecting WWII Navy now that we can often learn where an individual sailor served during the war.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)