MORE EARLY SOCKET BAYONETS

cpatrick

Since I had posted my early French socket bayonet for your review, I thought that I would post more of my early American socket bayonets - all of the ones pictured date from the 1700's, except for of course, the exceptionally early M1816. (Which will be a separate post) Pictured top to bottom are:

M1816 Socket Bayonet - in the original leather scabbard! (Very rare)

American Made Revolutionary War Socket Bayonet - This could either be an American made socket bayonet, with French influence, or it could be one of the first P1795 bayonets made, with no bridge. Rare.

P1750 German/Dutch Bayonet - EXACTLY the pattern of bayonet that would have been used by the Hessians at Trenton. The neat thing is that this bayonet was acquired in New Jersey. Rare

Early French Socket Bayonet - Interesting modified socket that was executed during the colonial period, probably for use during the French and Indian War, or the Revolutionary War. (1765-1783) Extremely Rare variation on an already rare bayonet.

P1766 Brown Bess Bayonet - A true Revolutionary War British bayonet with the 16" blade. The ricasso bears what appears to be a Colony of South Carolina surcharge! The work-horse of the Revolution!

Chris

post-548-1191544785.jpg

post-548-1191544794.jpg