How To Rebuild a Knife

DSchlagan

The Finishing Touch...

I was able to get together with a longtime friend, who is also a professional leathersmith:

post-21709-1308449291.jpg

I am not certain but I believe that the "inlay", as my friend described the exotic leather design work, may be an armadillo hide. The full pelt appeared as to what I figure one would look like.

When we started discussing that aspect, he reached to a shelf and drew out: that piece, two snakeskins, and a small alligator pelt. Many years ago, he said, a customer gave him those exotics in appreciation of work done; all were very professionally skun and tanned.

The colors and textures of the 'armadillo' was perfect. So thanks much to that gentleman.

post-21709-1308450088.jpg

My friend builds his sheaths with a thick leather 'welt' or buffer strip, sewn between front and back, so no rivets are necessary to protect stitching. Because of the width of the guard, he added a couple extra layers of tapered, thick leather for a good fit. He didn't figure I wanted to further 'customize' the rig by grinding off the guard. ;)

post-21709-1308450483.jpg

post-21709-1308451509.jpg

Thanks much to USMF Member, doyler, for his assistance in locating a M1910 wire hook for the project, and also for giving me the idea to design it into the sheath!

Thanks, Ron.

My friend and I have always enjoyed designing projects together, and his craftsmanship is First Rate!

Don.

Thanks, Ron.

My friend and I have always enjoyed designing projects together, and his craftsmanship is First Rate!

Don.

Don

your combined talents are a force to be reconned with

RD

• 3 weeks later...
Bill Walters
post-21709-1308451509.jpg

Thanks much to USMF Member, doyler, for his assistance in locating a M1910 wire hook for the project, and also for giving me the idea to design it into the sheath!

Don,

Your work on this knife is that of a true craftsman!

Bill

Ron,

My sincere thanks for your interest!

I have also been considering that if anyone were to come across "half-a" ;) M3 knife, one in need of a new hilt assembly, I could add it's reconstruction onto this.

I would prefer a blade marked version, so it's 'roots' would be clearly established.

Please PM with details.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Don.

11thcavsniper

Don, I have been super busy and just found time to see how your project was coming. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!! What a wonderful knife and sheath. I never thought that a 225Q could look like this. L.T.

L.T.

I'm glad that you were able to find a few moments to touch base on the Forum!

I would like to thank you for the kind comments; and to make you aware, that as one of the early contributors to this thread, you were among those responsible for helping to formulate what this knife became.

So to you and all others, and also to the many folks who have been taking the opportunity to view this, my sincere thanks! :thumbsup:

Best Regards,

Don.

This was a great thread. Excellent metal work, just excellent. And a stunning final product!!!

Thanks for sharing.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

There are plenty of resorces out there where you can obtain leather washers to re-build your knife. Check out eBay or even Manion's Auction House. Try Tandy's Leather or other leather supply houses..

Bill

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to bring this back to the top to show Don's excellent work.I have been informed by a member that Don had passed away last year.I hadn't seen him on the forum or been in contact and had wondered what had happened to him. I understand he had a heart attack and did not survive.

This is sad to hear. My thoughts go out to his family. I'm privileged to have had the opportunity of his company here and what he shared with us.

RustyCanteen

Just wanted to bring this back to the top to show Don's excellent work.I have been informed by a member that Don had passed away last year.I hadn't seen him on the forum or been in contact and had wondered what had happened to him. I understand he had a heart attack and did not survive.

This is sad to learn.

RD, I sent a PM.

• 3 months later...

Ron- Thanks for letting us know. His work, and knowledge of metallurgy was excellent. He will be missed. SKIP

• 2 weeks later...

WHAT?

THE MAN IS DEAD?

Oh my goodness...I am so sorry Don that I didn't contribute more to your 225Q conversion topic.

I have only been a member for a short while on this forum.

But I can imagine you have some very close friends on USMF

Sorry to all who knew him

He seemed to follow his passions and his hobbies, so he was happier within himself than a lot of others no doubt.

Let's not forget him... I hope we can pin some of his contributions to USMF

I would love to see some pics of him, if that's OK.

You are free now Don... I wish I had of met you sir

Regards, Ben.

• 7 years later...

WOW, Just went through this thread wishing to share my pleasure of his creation.

RIP Don

My heart felt condolences to his family and friends

Semper Fi

Phil

This post in memory DSchlagan, Rest In Peace. Though I never communicated with him, I am in awe of the workmanship of his stag handled blade in previous pages. I myself am a fairly handy guy who repaired a few Mk 2's. The challenge for me was the compression of the leather washers prior to securing the pommel. So I made a tool which worked perfectly for this task and would like to share it with you-all. I wish I had more time to post due to work but here goes. I would invite others that have given a second life to historic USGI blades to post your work. Let's keep this post going as DSchlagan would probably have done and enjoyed. IMG_0244.JPG.3a2df22867953e340347f8f2ed01693f.JPG

• 1 year later...

To renew this thread, I would like to say DSchlagan (Don) seemed like a great person. He obviously left a mark here with many folks. I came across this thread and it kinda got to me. I too, do a lot of knife repairs and restorations. I only wish I could have known Don here. Haven't been a member all that long. Life is short. Restore that knife so you like it more. I have been in Don's shoes, right down to dying from a heart attack. I was lucky enough to beat the reaper. 3 times actually, all different ways. Thanks Don, I feel like we have met. 

MartyB