Patton's Jeep

Proud Kraut

Wayne, YES, I know that pic! Could be an idea for the next dio...

Lars

P.S.: NO, the next one will be a Battle of the Bulge winter season scenario...

I've always wanted to see someone do the meeting where the Germans approached the 101st lines to offer them a chance to surrender ala the movie "Battle of the Bulge". I've always wanted to do a Dio of "Bargain Basement" from that movie... but Italeri can't keep their M24 Chaffee on the shelves long enough for me to grab one!!! LOL

As an aside, I was stationed at Fort Carson before I retired and they had an unbelievable diorama there of an M8 Armored car (37mm) coming head to head with a Panther. The diorama depicted a battle between the two that was well documented with actual photographs of the aftermath. The M8 gunner pulled the trigger fractionally before the panther gunner and the shell actually exploded the German 75mm shell IN THE BARREL. The Panther barrel looked like one of those exploding cigars... Talk about David and Goliath...

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lars,

One word amazing, I have looked at your diarama over again and the details are fantastic. I love detail in a subject i was tought if you are going to do something do it well, and you have cought everything just right as Scott ( Bugme ) says museum quality. I have seen many military diarama,s in France and they are not a patch on this.

Dave.

Does your model match Patton's jeep that was at Fort Lee, VA? I think it is the QuarterMaster Museum? I saw it many years ago. He had installed a special, lush chair on the passenger side.

Steve

Yes, Patton's Jeep is in the US Army Quartermaster Museum at Fort Lee, VA see:

http://www.qmmuseum.lee.army.mil/petroleum_water.html

up-DR5E9PUDUHJ30B3R.jpg

Misanthropic_Gods

GREAT diorama...and you did a great job blending it in with the background. Lots of attention to detail

Whipped these up, thought you might like them

f696a33e.jpg

b23b7254.jpg

1b0fa26c.jpg

Proud Kraut

Panzer 3, ehrentitle and M.G. thank you very very much for your kind comments, I appreciate it!

@ M.G.: your pics look superb; how did you do that/what programm did you use?

@ehrentitle: great link; need to get me one set of these front seats now :lol:

Thanks again!

Lars

• 3 weeks later...

I have looked at this dio several times. I must commend you on the quality of your work. I especially like the idea that you took it outside and used a natural background for your pics. Your photo work is great. I am amused, however, that you used German soldier figures and redressed them as American. Patton would roll over in his grave! Great work.

PETER HENDRIKX

Great diorama. Being interested in history first and foremost, I'd like to comment on two things. First the 82nd Airborne Division and General Patton did not cross each others path in western Europe. Patton had the 101st Airborne Division in his Third Army in December 1944 in Bastogne, but not the 82nd. Second, the 82nd Airborne Division did experiment with armored jeeps, but I am not sure if the 9th Infantry Division did.

Great job on the diorama.

BTW, if you're interested in the story of General Patton's accident, check my website at www.heroesatmargraten.com

Peter Hendrikx

Proud Kraut

Dschneck, BB and Peter, thank you very much for your kind comments! Thanks also for the hint that Gen Patton would not have meat 82nd Airborne Division elements. Yes, you are probably right, but I really wanted to display all those 3 variants of the Jeep in one dio.

Great diorama. Being interested in history first and foremost, I'd like to comment on two things. First the 82nd Airborne Division and General Patton did not cross each others path in western Europe. Patton had the 101st Airborne Division in his Third Army in December 1944 in Bastogne, but not the 82nd. Second, the 82nd Airborne Division did experiment with armored jeeps, but I am not sure if the 9th Infantry Division did.

Great job on the diorama.

BTW, if you're interested in the story of General Patton's accident, check my website at www.heroesatmargraten.com

Peter Hendrikx

Regarding the "Armored Bazooka Jeep" I can only refer to the website/picture I found online, pictured below. The caption tells that this kind of Jeep was used by an I&R platoon of 60th Inf, 9th Div. No Bazooka conversion kit was available, so I had to customize it by myself. Glad you like it.

Lars

391212124.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
robertjensen3rdDI

now thats what i call a display!! nice guy taking a leak! LOL! but still, i wish i could be good at modeling, its hard to do! i tried once and it went totally wrong!!

robertjensen3rdDI
Dschneck, BB and Peter, thank you very much for your kind comments! Thanks also for the hint that Gen Patton would not have meat 82nd Airborne Division elements. Yes, you are probably right, but I really wanted to display all those 3 variants of the Jeep in one dio.

Regarding the "Armored Bazooka Jeep" I can only refer to the website/picture I found online, pictured below. The caption tells that this kind of Jeep was used by an I&R platoon of 60th Inf, 9th Div. No Bazooka conversion kit was available, so I had to customize it by myself. Glad you like it.

Lars

and also, did they really use the bazoka's on the the jeeps like that? wouldnt it hurt the guy in back?? :think:

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...