Sgt. Mjr. of the USMC Dinner Dress Chevrons

joefriday22

joefriday22

A friend of mine, retired 10th Sergeant Major of the United States Marine Corp, Robert E. Cleary, gave these to me several years ago.

Sgt. Major Cleary served our country for 36 years including several years in Korea and three tours in Viet Nam. A true gentleman (although as hard core as they come) and as modest as the day is long. If you asked him if he was in the MC he would just say that he spent a few years in the Corp. He was a friend of mine for quite some time before I found out that he was THE Sergeant Major of the USMC...he previoulsy had simply said that he was a sergeant...gees.

Official biography:
http://www.marines.mil/unit/hqmc/smmc/Pages/bios/cleary.aspx

Definatley a very nice and unique chevron.

The scans are not the best but you get the idea.

post-5589-0-10354100-1401285254.jpg

post-5589-0-23010700-1401285259.jpg

post-5589-0-94271800-1401285265.jpg

Rob

teufelhunde.ret

I met Sergeant Major Cleary shortly after he was posted as Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, all you say is true and more! He was a Marine's Marine!

joefriday22
I met Sergeant Major Cleary shortly after he was posted as Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, all you say is true and more! He was a Marine's Marine!

Yes he was, he was all about the E1 and never forgot where he came from.

His 3rd tour in VN he flew over 150 combat missions as a door gunner and cleaned his own 50 cal after each mission...and he was a Sgt. Major at the time. He also took the mechanics and flight crews out on ambushes at night. Over several months they captured a large number of VC which earned him a medal. He told me that he didn't know much about helicopters so he stuck to what he knew..ground work...heck of a guy. I'm sure that there were not many Sgt. Major's out in the bush.

Rob

joefriday22

Thank you.

One day I asked the Sgt. Maj. if he had any of his old Ka-Bars left... and he gave me this.

The USMC was issueing Ontario's at the time he was the SgtMjr, he had a few engraved to give away but never did.

"Presented by SGTMJR Robert E. Cleary"

EDIT: Picture is lost

"Tenth SGTMJR of the U.S. Marine Corp"

EDIT: Picture is lost. Following picture is only one recovered

post-5589-0-16634200-1401243359.jpg

A friend of mine, retired 10th Sergeant Major of the United States Marine Corp, Robert E. Cleary, gave these to me several years ago.

Sgt. Major Cleary served our country for 36 years including several years in Korea and three tours in Viet Nam. A true gentleman (although as hard core as they come) and as modest as the day is long. If you asked him if he was in the MC he would just say that he spent a few years in the Corp. He was a friend of mine for quite some time before I found out that he was THE Sergeant Major of the USMC...he previoulsy had simply said that he was a sergeant...gees.

Official biography:

http://www.marines.mil/unit/hqmc/smmc/Pages/bios/cleary.aspx

Definatley a very nice and unique chevron.

The scans are not the best but you get the idea.

SgtMjrRobertECleary.jpg

USMCSgtMjrChevron.jpg

img006.jpg

Rob

Loving the dinner dress chevrons, I think I need to add to my list of wants.

Corpsmancollector

What amazing items with such fascinating history. Just great!

Thanks for sharing, I love that Ka-Bar :thumbsup:

Will

• 3 years later...
TrenchfootJoe66

Just thought I would update this post.

I attended an estate sale for Sgt Major Cleary this morning. I knew it was a sale not to be missed. I showed up 2 and half hours early just to be sure I was first in the door.

I was pleasantly surprised when Sgt Major Cleary himself came out the front door shortly after my arrival. I spoke with him for quite some time and he ended up giving me one of his Challenge coins for being the first knucklehead to show up.

I greeted him with a hearty "Good Morning Sgt Major !!" and it was on...

All I can say is that he is a great guy and pretty damn funny as well. He had some great stories to tell and was more than happy to stand there and chat with a total stranger, just one awesome Marine.

I also scored a big pile of stuff. Medals, plaques, photos, uniforms etc etc. A great day indeed !