Jungle Packs & M43 Field Packs

bilko1

This doesn't look like a M44 Field & Cargo Pack to me, it isn't wide enough, especially the "Cargo Pack". This just looks like a M28 Doughboy to me with a blanket roll tied round it. I know we all want to find M44 packs in use earlier than March, but I don't think that this is it.

Thanks for you imput glen. The problem with the pic of said guy is its not to clear. I still stand by what I've said, it definatley looks like a 2 pack set up.

• 5 months later...
craig johnson

I was looking at one of my photos again and realized they were all wearing the camo jungle packs. Its for sure on a Island somewhere. One of the buildings is marked "Nasugau Municipal Building".

166132957-M.jpg

166132344-M-1.jpg

138916843-M-1.jpg

166132660-M-1.jpg

Craig

Great photos! That is actually Nasugbu and it a beach town in Batangas, Luzon, Philippines. The troops must have recently landed and are moving out towards the rest of the province and onto Manila. They are probably elements of the 11th Airborne Division which landed at Nasugbu!

CB

• 7 months later...
Picture I found from a old sale by aaf8 [hope he doesn't mind or the buyer].

Loads of M43 packs.

And check the M44 pack in the centre of the pic.

post-39-1167859452.jpg

Watching BoB this afternoon - this looks like a still from the 'bonus disk' the men of Easy Company when they talk about Bastoigne. There's a couple of seconds of footage that shows a similar shot.

• 2 weeks later...
craig_pickrall

I took some new pics of Jungle and Field Packs today in hopes of showing the size difference and some manufacturing details.

First is a front and rear shot for size comparison. The size difference is more apparent in the rear shot.

post-5-1202244705.jpg

post-5-1202244713.jpg

craig_pickrall

JUNGLE PACKS

Normally the Jungle Pack has a smaller placket for the straps and there are no re-enforcing rivets. The third version of the Jungle Pack shown has the small placket but the rivets are there. I am guessing that this is a late production Jungle Pack made just before the change over to the Field Pack.

Manfacturer marks and details:

post-5-1202245002.jpg

post-5-1202245064.jpg

post-5-1202245131.jpg

post-5-1202245138.jpg

post-5-1202245146.jpg

post-5-1202245152.jpg

craig_pickrall

FIELD PACKS

Normally the Field Pack has a larger placket for the straps and there are re-enforcing rivets.

On the last maker mark the first couple of letters are scuffed so I can not make out the name. I have not tried to research this so far. If anyone knows the maker please post the name.

Manfacturer marks and details:

post-5-1202245325.jpg

post-5-1202245331.jpg

post-5-1202245337.jpg

post-5-1202245342.jpg

post-5-1202245348.jpg

post-5-1202245354.jpg

• 2 months later...
craig_pickrall

I was asked to provide dimensions on the Jungle Pack and M43 Pack for comparison purposes.

I used a 1942 dated camo version which should be a very early jungle pack and a 1944 dated OD which is a late version of the M43. This is not a perfect measurement because these bags are irregular shaped and I have no exact way to measure them. After looking at both packs I decided where to measure and used the same points on both bags. The width measurement is across the sewn down top flap. The height measurement is from the bottom of the sewn down flap to where the D Rings are attached. The thickness measurement is the big variable. The bottom of the bag is a round shape and varies greatly on both bags. The JP bottom is 9 1/2 inches wide and 10 1/2 inches deep and I used the average of 10 inches. The M43 bottom is 13 1/2 inches wide and 12 1/2 inches deep and I used the average of 13 inches.

JUNGLE PACK

11 1/2 WIDE BY 17 1/2 HIGH BY 10 INCHES THICK = 2013 CUBIC INCHES

M43 PACK

11 1/2 WIDE BY 18 1/2 HIGH BY 13 INCHES THICK = 2766 CUBIC INCHES

The top of the bag is much larger than the bottom giving a cone shape to the bag. If I averaged the size of the bottom with the top opening the CI size would increase quite a bit.

Russell 1910

In observing the jungle and M43 packs shown in this thread, it appears that only the larger M43 packs include the feature of the small buckles on the lower back (the side away from the body) which the vertical adjustment straps pass through to adjust the size of the bag. The jungle packs appear to lack these buckles. Also, on the same side of the pack are large trapezoidal pieces of canvas sewn in behind these buckles (as well as the web strap guides) that seem to only appear on the M43 and not on the jungle pack.

Anyone with more information would be gladly appreciated. As we know, there are generally no absolutes with this stuff, so my comments can just be observations.

Hopes this adds value to this post.

• 1 month later...
'Flage Guy

Interesting indeed! Russell, I have 4 camo packs: 2 of them (Boyt and G. & R. Co.)have the rear retaining buckles for the closure straps that you speak of, and the other 2 (both Hinsons) don't. Also have 3 of the O.D. '42s, and none of them have these buckles. This seems to be a 1943 mid-year tweak to make the closure straps easier to work with and adjust.

• 2 months later...
dropkicktino
Picture I found from a old sale by aaf8 [hope he doesn't mind or the buyer].

Loads of M43 packs.

And check the M44 pack in the centre of the pic.

post-39-1167859452.jpg

What division is this a picture of?

I was looking at one of my photos again and realized they were all wearing the camo jungle packs. Its for sure on a Island somewhere. One of the buildings is marked "Nasugau Municipal Building".

166132957-M.jpg

166132344-M-1.jpg

138916843-M-1.jpg

166132660-M-1.jpg

Craig

Those are U.S. 6th ID GI's in the Philippines. I have those pics somewhere on my computer I'll see if I can find them. I think they're members of the U.S. 20th or 63rd Infantry Regiment

Regards,

FRISCAN

That's an outstanding photo- looks like the man on the far right is toting a sawed-off E-tool.

In the U.S. Army "green book" entitled "The War Against Japan: Pictorial Record", there are a lot of good shots of all the Jungle and Field Packs in use; even some One-piece Jungle Suits show up.

• 5 months later...

Hi Gents,

Also 90th ID had these packs in the ETO. There is nice pic of BAR gunner PVT William J. Birthold of 357th Inf, 90th ID, taken in January 1945 in Luxembourg. He rests in snow but three-fourth of his pack can be clearly seen. It looks like Jungle Pack, i.e. smaller of the packs this topic is about. For better confirmation the Gurus may look into John Colby's "War From The Ground Up" book, page 374, where the pic mentioned is published.

Best regards

Greg

• 1 year later...
craig_pickrall

As far as I know there isn't a thread that answers those questions.

As far as assembly the suspenders on the jungle pack is basically the same as the M1910 / M1928 pack so just about everyone was familiar with those.

The jungle pack was born out of war time necessity and was intended for various missions and loads. That explains all of the take up and adjustment straps. The loads would fit the mission and that is hard to define in a manual. Loading would fit the normal common sense approach. Soft things toward the back, essential things on top, lesser used items on the bottom, etc. The GI will find what works with usage.

Roger that, thanks Craig. only thing im wondering now is what in the world is the zipper pouch for?!? :think:

This was to provide easy access to things needed while on the march, such as Canteens, maps, etc..

• 7 months later...

OLd thread, I know, but I picked up a M-1943 Field pack today. The top edge of the lower bag part has grommets much like the top of a duffle bag. How was this bag closed at the top? Was there a drawstring through the grommets or ? Never mind, I saw the photo on page one that shows a drawstring. Thanks.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have a full list of manufacturers for the Jungle pack ?

I'd also like to know if all manufacturers did both the OD and Camo versions.

Regards

Rich