TASK FORCE BAUM-Relics of the Reussenburg

BEAST

As a thought, could the Pre-WWI fuze have been fired for training during WWI?

Also, rust is a chemical reaction; that means just putting oil will not stop it; but may inhibit it as it should create a reletivly oxygen free environment; albeit temporary. What did you use to stop the rust?

RC, initially I cleaned the dirt and rust off and used a crystalline wax on the pieces that I wanted to protect. After that it was kept in a temperature/humidity controlled room.

Three issues that I can think of that may cause the return of rust. 1) the wax was applied 20+ years ago. May need to reapply a coat. 2) protected items are stored with non-protected items which may speed up the breakdown of wax. 3) May need a better preservative.

• 6 months later...

Hey Beast

On a good day for a good hour, we visited the premises of Task Force Baum.

We found 2 30/06 cartridges of 1942 and this shaver.
Cartridges and razors were close proximity to one another.
Now my question:
Is this razor from 1945 or after.
Would be glad if it is from 1945.
Then I would have found a nice piece of history home
smil.gif

AB45

post-153035-0-43176300-1401054934.jpg

post-153035-0-01047700-1401055069.jpg

post-153035-0-17283600-1401055303.jpg

post-153035-0-14657900-1401055333.jpg

It looks proper for the period to me, think I've got one around here to compare, now I'll have to find it, but looks 40's to me.

Nice finds! The German "pip" the razor are especially nice. I agree with gomorgan, the razor looks like a WWII period piece to me. Did you find them on the Reussenberg or at one of TF Baum's other sites?

I have the razor found at the exact spot where the TF Baum was (Reussenberg)
Do you have to have overlooked :D

I have the razor found at the exact spot where the TF Baum was (Reussenberg)

Do you have to have overlooked :D

I should have looked more carefully! :)

• 6 months later...

Interesting finds. I have a photo of it somewhere, but on the hill I found a tree with a 1945 dated carving on it with a US soldier's name and hometown. IIRC, he was from North Carolina. I'll see if I can find it.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

HY

A friend made a special find two months ago on the Sodenberg: the dog tag of a US soldier who, presumably a member of the "Task Force Baum", probably lost his assault on the 1945 prisoner of war camp in Hammelburg. However, it is not an official dog tag, but a self-made, which the soldier probably wore on his wrist.
"Sam W. Davis" is engraved on the top, with a long number on the back. "I would like to send the stamp to the family of the soldier," says the friend. However, previous attempts to find out something about the owner of the brand failed.
Who can help ? :)
Greetings AB45

post-153035-0-33303900-1532815507_thumb.jpg

post-153035-0-00854400-1532815530_thumb.jpg

HY

A friend made a special find two months ago on the Sodenberg: the dog tag of a US soldier who, presumably a member of the "Task Force Baum", probably lost his assault on the 1945 prisoner of war camp in Hammelburg. However, it is not an official dog tag, but a self-made, which the soldier probably wore on his wrist.
"Sam W. Davis" is engraved on the top, with a long number on the back. "I would like to send the stamp to the family of the soldier," says the friend. However, previous attempts to find out something about the owner of the brand failed.
Who can help ? :)
Greetings AB45

Here is his enlistment

Record: Samuel W. Davis – 33684508

Residence:

Alaska

Date of Enlistment:

22 April 1943

Place of Enlistment:

Pittsburgh Pennsylvania

Component of the Army:

Selectees (Enlisted Men)

Branch:

Unknown

Source of Army Personnel:

Civil Life

Nativity:

White, citizen

Year of Birth:

Education:

4 years of high school

Civilian Occupation:

Unknown

Marital Status:

Single, without dependents

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Here's Baum himself, looks like he's a Major here, if so he must of fully recovered from his wounds in theater got promoted and returned to duty.

abe baum.PNG